XR 500 - with 2 xboxs

Evening, 

I am getting gaming issues with Black ops 4, I have purchased the netgear xr500 3 days ago and I am having some issues with the setup at the moment. 

I have given both xboxs static IPs - I have put one through DMZ and the other as normal but who ever connects first gets open NAT on the game and the 2nd xbox gets moderate Nat in the game.. 

I have tried port forwarding a port each to each xbox but doesn't seem to work I am at a loss as to what to do.. 

When you spend £240 on a gaming router you'd expect not to have NAT issues. 

Both devices are in the Geo Filter Map - and both have been in either spectating mode or Filtering mode but still have the same issue. 

Any help or ideas would be great please.. if I can't get this sorted I'll just plug back in my Sky router as the only thing I had to do on that was port forwarding and it seperated my xboxes on its own

Cheers

Kevin 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem your using with the router? 

Review this:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

You need to remove the console from DMZ and use Auto IP addressing ON the consoles and set up IP address Reservations ON the router and use uPnP only. Set Nat Filter to OPEN on the router. 

• Administrators

Hi Kevin,

First of all, the only NAT reading you should care about is the console's specific network test. If they're both Open then don't worry about the game's reading - it's nowhere near as accurate and if the consoles are both open then you won't be hindered in any way.

But if one is moderate even on the console test, then follow these steps:

1. Delete all your port forwarding rules and DMZ rules, as well as any port triggering rules if you set these
  2. Set Nat filtering to Open (go to Settings >WAN Setup) 
  3. Enable UPNP on your router (if it is not already) - go to Settings >Advanced Settings >UPNP to toggle this
  4. Hard switch off both consoles
  5. Boot one up, and check if it has open NAT on the console test.
  6. Boot the other up, and run the same check

Thanks for the tips both now open on game and xbox.. appreciate it.. 

so as I am new to the router. 

Filtering mode blocks all connections outside my set distance and spectating mode allowes those outside my set distance to connect to me but we will only play on servers within my set distance.. is that correct

Cheers lads 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Kevin Lamb said:

Thanks for the tips both now open on game and xbox.. appreciate it.. 

so as I am new to the router. 

Filtering mode blocks all connections outside my set distance and spectating mode allowes those outside my set distance to connect to me but we will only play on servers within my set distance.. is that correct

Cheers lads 

You’re right about filtering mode. But spectating mode effectively disables the filter. It will still show you the server you are connecting to, and its ping (allowing you to ‘spectate’ the server you are on), but nothing will be blocked. 

Spectating Mode is good for some PC games where you can choose the server within the game (like League of Legends). Otherwise I recommend you use filtering mode. 

Here’s an optimal settings guide if it’s helpful: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter-setup-step-2-

Thank your for this appreciate it. After I made the changes above which worked by the way. I am now losing wired connection. Randomly and frequently  

Ive seen many posts about factory resetting the device. 

I will do this in the morning kids are moaning they haven’t got WiFi so have switched back to the old router until tomorrow 

thanks 

kevin

So I have done everything on this list and although my Xbox says open my game says moderate when both xboxes are trying to play black ops 4. 

This is an issue as I can’t get into some games and people cannot join my party or game. 

Any suggestions. 

Cheers 

kev. 

• Administrators

I think there are two different problems here. 

1. Console shows open Nat but game shows moderate. - this is not a problem, don’t worry. If console is open Nat you should be fine

2. You cannot join games / friends. I think this is your Geo-Filter. When inviting friends in, make sure you expand your filter and then add them to your Allow list in Allow and Deny. You will block game servers if it’s outside your range. 

To test if I’m right, switch your Geo-Filter to spectating mode. Do you then have problems?