XR500 Issues

Hello,

I swapped out my Nighthawk R7000 for an XR500 a week and a half ago. I've had the following issues since then:

- Wi-Fi devices disconnected, wired remained connected (but no WAN access, couldn't get to Internet). Rebooted router, didn't touch modem, back online. This was the second day with the router.
- Yesterday, I noticed one of the router CPUs was pegged at 100% (the blue line in the graph, CPU1 I think). Some R-Apps wouldn't load, but network traffic seemed unaffected. Rebooted router and back to normal.
- Today, I woke up to a smart home where nothing was working because the Internet was completely down. Wi-Fi and wired couldn't connect to anything, but that could have been because the OSes decided to disconnect because the Internet was unreachable. Power-cycled the router, didn't touch the modem, and all is well for now.

I have done multiple factory resets, I'm running the latest 2.3.2.32 firmware, and I've stopped using the instant-on mode for my Xbox One X. I'm at the point now where I'm not even bothering to setup the cool stuff like geo-filter and anti-bufferbloat. All I do at this point is setup my wireless SSIDs and passwords (including guest network), the time zone, and my admin password. My modem is a Netgear CM600, and I have a Spectrum 400/20 connection. I mention this because the connection has stayed up through all of these outages, so I don't think it is to blame (nor did I have issues with the R7000 before).

If this seems like a situation where the beta firmware would help, I'd appreciate being able to try it out. Honestly, I'd appreciate any help I can get in general. Thank you for reading all of this.

Travis

• Administrators

Hi Travis,

The fact your modem has been up the whole time suggests you may have faulty hardware. How easy is it for you to get a replacement?

I would recommend this as a first step, as it sounds like you have tried all the right things already.

The 'beta' firmware you refer to was actually pre the latest firmware (.32) - it was a bridge between the previous main release and .32. So I would not recommend installing that.

Thanks.

Thanks for clarifying about the beta firmware. I saw a few mentions of it in older posts last week, but I read the release notes after writing here and figured this was probably the case.

I've certainly had mixed luck with other R7000 routers in the past, so I could totally see this one just happening to be a dud. I'm not terribly keen on seeing how the return process goes with Amazon Prime Now however.

In the meantime, I'm going to see if this one can limp along until I get a new XR700 instead. If nothing else, I'll switch back to the R7000 until then.

• Netduma Staff
20 minutes ago, twalls said:

Thanks for clarifying about the beta firmware. I saw a few mentions of it in older posts last week, but I read the release notes after writing here and figured this was probably the case.

I've certainly had mixed luck with other R7000 routers in the past, so I could totally see this one just happening to be a dud. I'm not terribly keen on seeing how the return process goes with Amazon Prime Now however.

In the meantime, I'm going to see if this one can limp along until I get a new XR700 instead. If nothing else, I'll switch back to the R7000 until then.

Alrighty well keep us updated on how it goes. I'd definitely recommend trying to get either a refund or a replacement for your XR500 - at the very least the money could go towards an XR700 :D

It's a shame but these things happen. If there's anything else we can help you with just let us know, we're always happy to help.

6 hours ago, twalls said:

Amazon returns are excellent and I would not see an issue there,normally refund even when it’s been scanned as posted.

Guest Killhippie
On 10/17/2018 at 8:59 PM, sharpz44 said:

Amazon returns are excellent and I would not see an issue there,normally refund even when it’s been scanned as posted.

Unless you return a lot of stuff, then they can and have banned people for doing that!

On 10/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, Killhippie said:

Unless you return a lot of stuff, then they can and have banned people for doing that!

Yer obviously if your a return freak and just buy stuff to test, I use prime and have returned plenty with no issues 😂