Using PayPal

Netduma

Apologies, for just missing the vote deadline.

I work in e-commerce so deal with payment processing.

There is quite a misconception about agents like PayPal (and equivalents).

From a consumer perspective, whilst they do have a protection scheme of their own, in the UK you have greater protection under the credit consumer Act if paying with a credit card. Furthermore, if you pay with a credit card through PayPal (or equivalent) you actually give up some of these rights. Therefore, in the UK paying with a credit card ( if you have one) ourside of PayPal should always be your first choice. Then credit card through PayPal, then cash transfer methods which have the least protection. 

From a business perspective PayPal tends to be much more expensive to process unless you have a significant negotiation position. 

This isn't a snub at PayPal just the Agency mechanic that complicates a payment transaction.

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing this Dan - very helpful to know.

Ultimately what we were trying to figure out is if PayPal is not offered, would it cause people to cancel their purchase? The feedback we're seeing is that it may well do.

Have you ever used Stripe?

I guessed that's what you were trying to do and appreciate that it is hard to educate the masses. 

However, you have a niche product and therefore can dictate, to a degree, how it must be paid for. 

On the flip side, the demographic of the customer will make a difference depending on their age and access to a credit / debit card.

However, if someone wants an R1 they will find a way. 

I know of stripe but my organisation's volumes are large enough to be considered an enterprise and therefore stripe wouldn't be competitive.

Interesting comp below which you may find useful and sums it up nicely. PayPal was gifted it's position off of the success of eBay but the world has caught up and now overtaken it. With the introduction of PSD2 expect to see more ways to take payment developing.

https://memberful.com/blog/stripe-vs-paypal/

For myself, and I think for a large majority of people who are forward thinking enough to be cautious of where we enter CC details, that not having paypal isn't the end of a purchase.

Consistent good reviews, good return policy, and warranty are a big factor. Couple that with,  and I struggle to find the right description here, but a non shady looking website (we all know the style), goes a very long way to convincing me your product is worth the risk. An often overlooked area as well, negative reviews. If you can see a product or company has negative reviews that had a positive or neutral outcome for the consumer they will be much more likely to want to give it a go. 

Example: Product didn't perform to customers expectation, support attempted to sort the issue however the product just wasn't right for the customer. Item shipped back, refund issued.

This is a good negative review. We the consumer can see your support is top tier, and wants the customer to be happy with their purchase.

Another example: Product didn't perform as expected. Customer goes to support page where they have to fill in a premade form with options that don't describe their issue. They put it as other and do their best in 120 words or less to describe the issue in the box they're given. Days go by and you finally get a response. It's some canned BS telling you to reboot the product and uninstall, reinstall. You perform the instructed procedure to no effect. Support basically throw their hands up and close your ticket.

This is a bad negative review. One I recently had regarding a firmware update issue. I had already done all the canned response instructions before contacting support and expected better. I paid $250 for this experience. End result, my device works currently however isn't recognised by the computer and cannot ever be updated again. Love the product, hate the support. Will not buy another product from them that uses their software interface ever again.

I recently had an experience where I bought from an unknown to me company and had to provide credit card details. The experience was in my opinion, exemplary. I received emails at each step of the transaction, order received, payment processed, item in stock at warehouse, order dispatched. I even got a personal phone call from a support staff member just to let me know that they had received my order and it was expected to be shipped the next day. Before I even got the phone call, the consistent communication had already won me.

The item arrived less than a week from ordering. This order was worth $36. $36, with free shipping.
You can bet your bottom dollar who I'm going to next time I need a product they sell.

TL;DR If as a company your goal is to provide a product that you support and endorse, customers will see this and support you.
If your goal is make as much money as possible while delivering the least you can and still make sales, you may succeed financially but don't expect long term customers.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, rinegills said:

This happened when the Product did not meet the customer's expectations.

Do you have an issue with your XR1000? 
if so if you post under support Fraser or Liam will soon help you.