Anti-Bufferbloat Needs Work

Ok, so I've been using the XR500 for about 9 months now. I've experimented with different settings, followed the advice of administrators in the forums,  (as well as knowledgeable users in the forum) etc. It has  basically been trial and error. Up until 2 months ago, I've always console gamed with my anti-bufferbloat set at the recommended settings. (70% Download, 70% Upload) But what I've noticed with anti-bufferbloat being on with these settings,  my gameplay experience was much worse. When I disable the entire QOS, (which says its not recommended) my gameplay experience is almost flawless. I've been experimenting with this over the past 2 months. Even when I play on bad servers that I blocked, with the QOS disabled its still very good. When I connect to good servers that I have my best gameplay experience on,  I turn on the Anti-bufferbloat, and my gameplay experience is noticeably worse! Then as soon as I disable it, it's practically flawless.

• Administrators

70% is only a starting point, if that's not working for you then I would advise you experiment with other percentages by following this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection then you can see what percentage works best to eliminate any lag when your connection is saturated. I would say its a placebo that it being disabled makes it play better.

Thanks for the reply Fraser and for the info. I will follow this guide and experiment with these suggestions. However,  I would not say its a placebo. Even playing before I wrote this post I was playing with the anti-bufferbloat on..same lobby, same players, same server. No one left and no host migration. There was "drastic" latency and lack of hit detection with the anti-bufferbloat on. I played two matches like that. I disabled it during the intermission,  and the improvement was evident. Like I said, I've been doing this for two months. (as a suggestion from Netgear which I forgot to mention in my previous post) Playing at different times of the day and night, and on weekends. I'm willing to post or upload videos as proof if necessary.

• Administrators

All Anti-Bufferbloat does is ensure that there is no local congestion so it would not affect your ping if nothing was using your connection pre enabling it. Servers migrate so probably not the exact same server, there are multiple in clusters in the same location. Was the ping the same?

• Administrators

Thanks. Make sure you have your Geo-Filter setup then. This will make the biggest difference to your ping.

Guide in the first post here: 

Demo video here: 

@Netduma AdminThanks for the reply. My Geo Filter has been set for quite some time.  Unfortunately, your Deny Servers option does not work currently, (I connect to servers I denied all the time) which Fraser has been tirelessly addressing for almost 3 months. He hopes it will be fixed by the next software update..My ping isn't an issue as it stays very consistent during gameplay (19-22ms) Ping Plotter tests come out fine and consistent as well. The latency I'm experiencing seems to be due to the anti-bufferbloat option as I stated above and others have stated having the same exact issue. I appreciate your help by sending this info, but this Is all the same info I've been using since April/May.

• Administrators

Ah ok, thanks for the summary. Can see you're several steps ahead already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else. We're investigating the denied server not always working. Should have a fix for you soon.

Hey guys, I too play cod and I too am having the same experience as Kahari describes. Matter of fact I am getting better bufferbloat grades with qos disabled on dsl reports than when it is enabled. Going to factory reset to see if it will straighten out. Ever since last firmware update its been a bit wonky for me.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Mr6RiMM said:

Hey guys, I too play cod and I too am having the same experience as Kahari describes. Matter of fact I am getting better bufferbloat grades with qos disabled on dsl reports than when it is enabled. Going to factory reset to see if it will straighten out. Ever since last firmware update its been a bit wonky for me.

Hey there. DSL reports has apparently been misbehaving recently, so we are recommending people try a PingPlotter test instead i.e. start Pingplotter, then saturate your connection so congestion occurs. It should spike on Pingplotter. Then apply QoS and see if ping returns to normal. Guide here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/