Large Ping Fluctuations

Hardware:

Netgear CM1000 modem 

Nighthawk XR500, CAT7 Ethernet cable

Internet Speeds: 900-950 mb/s  DOWNLOAD 41mb/s UPLOAD 

The main problem I’m experiencing is inconsistent ping when gaming. One game I will have a ping from 35-70ms...which is great and the game plays smoothly then the next game I’m experiencing 115-150 ms and it’s too laggy. This sort of cycle constantly is happening and is random from each gaming lobby. Sometimes I’ll have 2-3 games of low ping then the next 5 will all be high ping. 

Im wondering if there is a way to have a more consistently low ping for every game. I can’t really use the geo filtering to connect to a host that is close to me because I’m playing on mobile and the settings for that are for console and pc games. I’ve tried to enable it and put it on filtering and spectating and even with strict mode enabled but there is no difference at all. I’m gaming on my iPhone so I use 5ghz wifi and speedtest gives me 400-450 mb/s download and 40 mb/s upload. There are no other applications or devices using the 5ghz channel or even the 2.4, just my iPhone running a shooter game. I’ve found that the game does much better overall with QoS in the Never position, also find the game a lot less laggy and choppy with HT160 enabled, I’ve also noticed that enabling the ipv6 with DCHC helps too. Are there any other settings for my router that I should enable to get a more consistent lower ping for every game? 

• Administrators

Playing over WiFi is never advised so that'll be one issue, I realise you don't have a choice there but WiFi can be very unreliable. If you are gaming on WiFi then you need to use 2.4GHz not 5 as it's more stable so that will help. Also what is your base ping on speedtest.net as you won't be able to get a game ping below that. 

@triumph808 I literally have the "exact" same set-up as you. CM1000, Comcast 1GB, (942 Down, 42 Up) XR500. Back around April I was experiencing very high ping flux pretty much everyday. (130--150 ms) I would start out typically  around the 19 ms-22 ms, and within an hour or two, it would shoot up like crazy! I used to try everything from changing the settings, to doing a factory reset. (It was such a pain and I was doing this everyday!!) I found out that I had a "faulty XR500" router and sent it back to Amazon and replaced it with a brand new one. Haven't had a ping problem since. I now consistently stay around the 22-27 mark. Also, I live in the Midwest (Indiana) and the servers seem to be pretty trash in that area. I moved my radius to around the Texas Servers and Georgia Servers and I literally wreck shop on Call of Duty. Its almost unfair to the people in the lobby. (Missouri/Illinois Southwest Server is pretty good too) Hope this helps!

Kahari

• Administrators
2 hours ago, triumph808 said:

I usually average between 9-15 ms. But for some reason in game it’s anywhere from 35-70ms for good games and for not good games I usually get 115-150

Are you getting the same server location each time? That is a very big difference, so I would be surprised to hear of such a fluctuation from game to game.

It's also worth doing a line test to see if there is an issue with your overall connection:  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

6 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Are you getting the same server location each time? That is a very big difference, so I would be surprised to hear of such a fluctuation from game to game.

It's also worth doing a line test to see if there is an issue with your overall connection:  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

So I just had a Comcast technician come out and test all my lines and verify my speeds with his own router device that he plugs in directly to my cm1000 modem...I saw it with my own eyes that my internet speeds that I am getting from my modem are 900-950 mbps. So my lines and connection up to my modem is solid...I honestly think maybe Kahari might be correct with the faulty xr500 modem. 

When i do ping tests with wifi wifi I usually have my ms range between 9-15 ms on speedtest.net 

when i play my ping is varying...on 5ghz band I can get games for the entirety to range from 35-70 ms then the next few games it can be steady at 90-150 and these games just keep switching between these ranges.

on 2.4 ghz band I’ve been through every channel and I usually range from 80-130ms that is pretty steady...sometimes it drips to 25 or 18 or 30 but then I get a lag spike of 120 or 150 right after my ping drops.

I bought this router from Best Buy but I don’t have the receipt anymore and I don’t want to waste my money buying a new one...is there anyway I can exchange the router for a new one? 

• Administrators

You'll need to contact NETGEAR about this, or potentially BestBuy will be able to give you a swap without the receipt. I would try contacting both. There's no harm in getting a replacement if they can arrange it.

Here's NETGEAR's support channel: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Let us know how you get on.

23 hours ago, Kahari said:

@triumph808 I literally have the "exact" same set-up as you. CM1000, Comcast 1GB, (942 Down, 42 Up) XR500. Back around April I was experiencing very high ping flux pretty much everyday. (130--150 ms) I would start out typically  around the 19 ms-22 ms, and within an hour or two, it would shoot up like crazy! I used to try everything from changing the settings, to doing a factory reset. (It was such a pain and I was doing this everyday!!) I found out that I had a "faulty XR500" router and sent it back to Amazon and replaced it with a brand new one. Haven't had a ping problem since. I now consistently stay around the 22-27 mark. Also, I live in the Midwest (Indiana) and the servers seem to be pretty trash in that area. I moved my radius to around the Texas Servers and Georgia Servers and I literally wreck shop on Call of Duty. Its almost unfair to the people in the lobby. (Missouri/Illinois Southwest Server is pretty good too) Hope this helps!

Kahari

What did you tell support for them to process your RMA exchange? Its way past the 90 days for their technical support...so I wonder if they will try and charge me. I mean honestly....it sounds like we have the same situation. I also have comcast and setup is the same. It's weird because sometimes the games run smoothly then the next game is laggy as hell. I brought this router in april then about 2-3 months later started to have issues with lag spikes and ping. It has to be the router if my ISP technician came out and verified twice that my connection is giving the right download and upload speeds to my modem. Also I switched out the router for a Linsys router AC1900 and it actually provides a better overall gaming experience with less lag...the only problem and its a big problem is that it constantly disconnects my wifi every hour or two hours. So its either i deal with lag or have reduced lag on a different router but constantly getting disconnected from the wifi

• Administrators

The pings that you described above are they purely using the ingame ping? We can't diagnose that as they add on things we can't control such as processing delay etc - all games will have it, they just dont make it clear. What's the average ping on the Geo-Filter itself?

19 hours ago, triumph808 said:

What did you tell support for them to process your RMA exchange? Its way past the 90 days for their technical support...so I wonder if they will try and charge me. I mean honestly....it sounds like we have the same situation. I also have comcast and setup is the same. It's weird because sometimes the games run smoothly then the next game is laggy as hell. I brought this router in april then about 2-3 months later started to have issues with lag spikes and ping. It has to be the router if my ISP technician came out and verified twice that my connection is giving the right download and upload speeds to my modem. Also I switched out the router for a Linsys router AC1900 and it actually provides a better overall gaming experience with less lag...the only problem and its a big problem is that it constantly disconnects my wifi every hour or two hours. So its either i deal with lag or have reduced lag on a different router but constantly getting disconnected from the wifi

When I sent it back to Amazon, I had only had it for about 2 months so It might have still been in warranty period to exchange it. It was a Best Buy technician who told me that the router had to be faulty based upon all the factors I explained to him. (Basically the same things you're stating) I would try contacting Netgear and tell them you have a faulty router and based on the forums you've read,  other people have had the same issues, and see if they'll exchange it. I would call Best Buy and see if there's anything they can do as well since you bought it there. Whenever I buy things from Best Buy, I always get a receipt emailed to me and printed, because I lose my paper receipts as well.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, triumph808 said:

Did you mean to ask a question with this link - or was this a response to Kahari? (I just want to make sure we're helping you to the best of our ability)