High Ping Dedi Servers

Monzo

Is anyone else having a problem with high ping when it comes to the dedicated servers? The Anti Bufferbloat has fixed my bufferbloat issue a little bit, but now all the Dedis are getting from 30-50ms ping scans. Does anyone know why or how to fix this?

Well, I usually get about 10-15, so having 30+ is not normal. Plus I'm noticing that it's making a big difference in gun fights too. Some shots do well, and others dont. Some I blame myself, and others I highly question. 

It's a normal issue when games release. The data centers have fat pipes but a huge release can still cripple their network. Physical connections to virtual servers running on physical machines is taxing. Once the "release flu" has subsided the pings will drop back to normal.  

This is advice only applies to those who are connecting to legit dedis within their normal range and comparing their normal latency.  

Same happens with 2XP weekends on popular games.  Latency can climb higher depending on traffic. period.

Also some of the issues could be the fact that with this new release they purchased new IP ranges and host IDs have not updated yet, it takes time.  SO you could very well be seeing IP ranges that used to be in Chicago that are technically in New York or Miami.  If you had a great ping to Dallas and now an IP that used to belong there is owned by a company who has used the IP for a physical server location of say UK then until the IP registry updates ownership and geo location things are going to be out of whack. Just my two pennies.

3 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

It's a normal issue when games release. The data centers have fat pipes but a huge release can still cripple their network. Physical connections to virtual servers running on physical machines is taxing. Once the "release flu" has subsided the pings will drop back to normal.  

This is advice only applies to those who are connecting to legit dedis within their normal range and comparing their normal latency.  

Same happens with 2XP weekends on popular games.  Latency can climb higher depending on traffic. period.

Also some of the issues could be the fact that with this new release they purchased new IP ranges and host IDs have not updated yet, it takes time.  SO you could very well be seeing IP ranges that used to be in Chicago that are technically in New York or Miami.  If you had a great ping to Dallas and now an IP that used to belong there is owned by a company who has used the IP for a physical server location of say UK then until the IP registry updates ownership and geo location things are going to be out of whack. Just my two pennies.

Maybe this would explain why in Blackout I keep getting connected to Quebec and California servers but ping seems to be around 35-50. I'm in Alabama so I seriously shouldn't be connecting to those unless it's rolling over because capacity is maxed out. But then again the geo filter is showing me those exact places. It wouldn't display a server icon then it be somewhere else entirely would it?

Fraser, Yes I set everything up optimally,

Thanks guys for all the advice and info so far! So, you guys think it's mostly just a case where this is just a temporary thing? If this is something on Treyarchs end, is this something they will fix to make the servers better? Or is this something that might be able to be fixed on our end through another update to deal with those server problems?

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Monzo said:

Fraser, Yes I set everything up optimally,

Thanks guys for all the advice and info so far! So, you guys think it's mostly just a case where this is just a temporary thing? If this is something on Treyarchs end, is this something they will fix to make the servers better? Or is this something that might be able to be fixed on our end through another update to deal with those server problems?

Maybe so - I'm calling the next few weeks of Black Ops 4 a write off. I guarantee they're having loads of issues with the servers on their end and have a lot of things they'll be looking to change or fix.

• Netduma Staff

It's literally just overloaded servers; the quality of the actual servers on their end will be extremely low due to the massive amount of players running on them. Playing Black Ops 3 using your Netduma should be enough to prove that there's nothing fishy going on with your router / setup.

I have to be honest. I can't say BO4 plays worse than BO3 even with these higher ping values. Random WTF moments every now and then but this is Call of Duty. This game is the worst "gauge" to estimate your connection quality. 

I also had a few Host Migrations.

Long story short, I don't know what the f* is going on. :(

I kid you not. This morning around 5 am. I logged in and found a quick match of Blackout.  I'm tooling around and realize WTH, I've been sitting here waiting to load into the actual game for over 15 minutes. I pull up the Duma and low and behold I am connected to a server in Germany!???!   203ms.... Holy moly.  So being of sound mind I must see how this plays out right...  The server had 19 people when the Blackout match started.  This happened 2 times in a row.  I can say this. Lag comp is super strong in this game.  I couldn't even feel the lag.  I came in 2nd. I swear to you the bullets registered better than my usual 16ms servers here in the US.

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Monzo said:

Well, we now went from 30ms ping to 40-50 in only a week, and now the duma is forcing me to get into Dedis that are not near where I live (NJ). Any way to fix that?

There's no way to alter the net-code the game has. CoD is usually very lenient once the servers have balanced out, so it doesn't usually force you to join any particular server.

This is launch time however, so their servers are at capacity and sometimes their only choice is to force you into distant servers. I'd recommend loosening your Geo-Filter settings just to give the game some room to breathe until the player base stabilises :)

I think once the cloud is updated it will fix a lot of this.

I live in NY and have this same issue. It started on Wednesday and continued on Thursday.   Living in NYC I put my filter right on the NJ/NY Server. Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues that was all I connected to. 10-11ms games all the time. Wednesday it went to 70-80ms.  Cali and Western Canada players.  It's showing on the map as the NJ/NY server location but it's all west coast servers.  

Thursday night I got a mix of the actual NJ/NY server and west coast servers.

Not saying it's all bad on those 70-80ms lobbies because when they give you that lag compensation edge watch out God mode enabled.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PUBzZz said:

I live in NY and have this same issue. It started on Wednesday and continued on Thursday.   Living in NYC I put my filter right on the NJ/NY Server. Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues that was all I connected to. 10-11ms games all the time. Wednesday it went to 70-80ms.  Cali and Western Canada players.  It's showing on the map as the NJ/NY server location but it's all west coast servers.  

Not saying it's all bad on those 70-80ms lobbies because when they give you that lag compensation edge watch out God mode enabled.

You can help out by posting here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26463-black-ops-4-geo-filter-cloud-needs-your-help/

4 hours ago, PUBzZz said:

I’m on Long Island, same deal. 

Generally though, 60-90ms ping all of a sudden. I set the sliders at 80 and reset the device flower and it dropped to 20-30. Not sure if it was related though. 

I don’t typically play a ton launch week, makes me close to rage status. I dislike that. 

• 4 months later...

I used to have a 21 ping to dedicated server in Texas, it was 460 miles from me so it wasn't too bad. But for whatever reason, Bo4 does not have a working server in Dallas anymore and now I'm playing on a 44 ping dedicated server and I'm having a horrible time with bullet registration. Then again, who isn't with Bo4. The only videos I see online to fix this are throttling videos to get lag comp to kick in. What a sad day it is in gaming. I remember back on bo2 when everyone wanted cable internet to have an advantage, then everyone wanted fiber, now people want to starve the bandwidth just to make a game consistently playable. I recently got an sb8200 modem, which has 2 ethernet ports so I don't need a router anymore, or at least not an expensive one. The console plugs into a port and a simple router into the other. Ping times are even lower and no need to port forward anything because all ports are open. Modem providers are catching on and making a modem like this means they're finally starting to take gamers seriously.

• Administrators
On 3/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, EldestTheGreat said:

I used to have a 21 ping to dedicated server in Texas, it was 460 miles from me so it wasn't too bad. But for whatever reason, Bo4 does not have a working server in Dallas anymore and now I'm playing on a 44 ping dedicated server and I'm having a horrible time with bullet registration. Then again, who isn't with Bo4. The only videos I see online to fix this are throttling videos to get lag comp to kick in. What a sad day it is in gaming. I remember back on bo2 when everyone wanted cable internet to have an advantage, then everyone wanted fiber, now people want to starve the bandwidth just to make a game consistently playable. I recently got an sb8200 modem, which has 2 ethernet ports so I don't need a router anymore, or at least not an expensive one. The console plugs into a port and a simple router into the other. Ping times are even lower and no need to port forward anything because all ports are open. Modem providers are catching on and making a modem like this means they're finally starting to take gamers seriously.

Have you tried using ping assist to limit your games to under your ping limit?

I've had a bit of a spotty encounter with pint assist not letting people connect even with an 800 mile radius but I stopped playing Bo4 so that kinda fixed that problem. Lol. I do however have another question. Most cods read your bandwidth when you start it up and you can see it in the settings. It mainly decides whether you play peer 2 peer or on a dedi. But what if it affects matchmaking in a not so subtle way? What if it see your bandwidth and pairs you with enemies/teammates of a similar bandwidth? And if this could possibly be true, should I turn down my sliders after I start up the game or before? I don't see any testing anywhere to say one is better than another but. But I'm guess if it was possible, turning the sliders down before you start the game would probably be a better idea rather than starting a game with a higher bandwidth and then lowering it. Maybe it affects matchmaking and how the server deals with your packets. Who knows.

• Administrators

That's a good theory, I'm not sure why they would do this given gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, even if it were to go to P2P and have a person hosting the game I doubt they'd need more than 1mbps, maybe 1.5mbps upload maximum. I'd be interested in seeing what your results are if you do decide to test it.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's a good theory, I'm not sure why they would do this given gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, even if it were to go to P2P and have a person hosting the game I doubt they'd need more than 1mbps, maybe 1.5mbps upload maximum. I'd be interested in seeing what your results are if you do decide to test it.

I think the theory behind this is to try and assume your connection type. Typically better connections have a higher upload speed than others. For instance DSL vs Cable. DSL is notorious for having awful upload speeds.

On the fact of black ops 4, I always get the same servers. However with black ops 3 this is not the case, it doesnt matter what I do I can never get the server I want, strict just gives me players hosts.

image.thumb.png.f74b3d2da15f1786d30ca2e832c8bb74.png