Advanced traffic prio not working on downstream

RL317

It seems that regardless of what ports we set under source or destination, advanced traffic prioritisation will only cover upload traffic even if it's impossible for me to be uploading over those ports. I'll explain... 

Using Wireshark we can see which ports are in use during different activities on a console (such as matchmaking, playing in a multiplayer game, using a voice party etc), and we could in fact see this on the pre-DumaOS R1 while clicking on bandwidth bars in the network monitor - you would see an overview of all ports in use on every bandwidth "bar". The mainstay in Call of Duty is 3074 and this is a commonly known port. However, what is less commonly known is that 3074 only exists on the console end, as it needs multiple ports available to communicate to the server. In Infinite Warfare for example, these are between 30000 and 50000.

Obviously under QoS we have the classified games section for plug and play gaming, but if you know what you're doing this is preferable so you don't accidentally prioritise an irrelevant port as far as in-game performance goes. Actually I've noticed that either the classified games preset doesn't seem to make a bit of difference at all, or it can actually downgrade connection quality on the same server at the same latency. I played three games today:

1. On 40ms with no traffic prio after discovering advanced prio wasn't activating;

2. On 40ms with the classified games prio preset, in the same lobby as before;

3. On 15ms with the classified games prio preset...

The first gave me the most in-sync gameplay with faster hitmarkers than I've seen for months (I haven't touched this server since last year), the second was noticeably worse than the first despite now using traffic prio for ALL relevant ports, and the third game on the "best" latency while also using prio for arguably the most optimal setup gave me the most objectively laggy gameplay with delayed hitmarkers, assuming they were to pop up at all. I recorded hitmarker delays of up to 328ms(!) in that game, with many landed shots not registering. But I digress... 

Anyway, the first thing I wanted to try was setting destination to 3074 UDP and source to 30k-50k to see if I could prioritise downstream, because of how behind the action I've often been and how much UDP lag I see on the downstream on Wireshark (as high as 200ms UDP latency on 7ms ping, as proven by the Wireshark capture below (check the bottom two timestamps), which seems to be the cause of me getting kicked from countless games because CoD has a limit of 800ms:

_20181012_013810.thumb.JPG.bd079cf73cad8b6a5326e7c526444e66.JPG

You'll also notice that downstream is all 40040 (server) > 3074 (my console), and that a search of that 45.63.x.x IP will indeed show up as a Choopa server in London, which is 40 miles away from me. 

I set this advanced prio up with src 30000-50000 and dest 3073 but noticed the "light" wasn't coming on to indicate prio was taking place, so I changed the destination to 1-65535 instead. It then lit up and showed it had kicked in, but only upload traffic was being prioritised for some reason in game, which is impossible because there's no port 3074 to upload to - it doesn't exist on the server end. At the same time there's no downstream traffic being prioritised or acknowledged:

Screenshot_20181014-161856.thumb.png.cda13c03fa0bfbe51f017bbe7f35e897.png

I thought maybe source and destination had been mixed up somehow during coding or as part of a strange bug, so I swapped them around:

Screenshot_20181014-162035.thumb.png.e58a4e84e15e6dd90fd2f08f1e106c44.png

And as you can see, still only the upload traffic was being prioritised. The bottom setup actually makes sense, since you can upload from 3074 to the other port that's listening (somewhere between 30000-50000) on the server. However it's acting exactly the same either way: there's no download prioritisation taking place 😕

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would never recommend changing source at all, what you want to change is destination. Change destination to whatever you want and it should work correctly

That's the problem - there's no way to prioritise 3074 in that way because it only exists on the console end. It only communicates with a random port between 30000 and 50000 on the server end, hence the need to customise source and destination. 

I understand having 1-65535 in there for those who aren't sure what they're doing, but we should be able to fully control traffic prio right? Hence the advanced option, or the same thing on pre-DumaOS firmware with using the PSN preset vs manually entering a port. 

The classified games preset seems to prioritise speed tests and/or downloads and uploads outside of a game so it doesn't fit my needs. I only want to prioritise gaming traffic and as it stands, it seems like it's not possible to prioritise two way or downstream traffic only with advanced prio. Any idea if Iain can chime in on this? Not sure if it's a bug or what but only download traffic should be getting prioritised in that above scenario since src 30000-50000 > dest 3074 is only one way. 

I need to be able to prioritise downstream because playing an FPS game with thousands of milliseconds of buffering on data coming from the server makes it impossible to play. At least there's an upside to the upstream lagging. 

• Administrators

It shouldn't prioritise speed tests/downloads. What you may be seeing is the occassional PSN/XBL authentication check being prioritized. Check the high priority packets during a speed test/download. If they are being prioritized then they would be updating rapidly. What should happen is they don't and only a few packets are for the general PSN connection. 

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It shouldn't prioritise speed tests/downloads. What you may be seeing is the occassional PSN/XBL authentication check being prioritized. Check the high priority packets during a speed test/download. If they are being prioritized then they would be updating rapidly. What should happen is they don't and only a few packets are for the general PSN connection. 

Yeah I'd rebooted the router to lock in new settings so the high priority packets counter had reset back to zero. After the test they had increased by several thousand packets? 

43 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You're not looking at the background packets are you? I tried it again today and the high priority packets do not go up a significant amount that would indicate its being prioritized.

No, definitely high prio. Background packet counts were in the hundreds of thousands or millions lol

I used my XB1 for the first time on DumaOS today and it didn't happen when setting up and testing my network there. Both counts are still on zero with the classified games preset 👍 UPnP doesn't work there either for me though, I had to forward UDP 3074 for an open console NAT and UDP/TCP 3074-3076 for an open game NAT ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

6 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Has UPNP ever worked? Do you have IPv6 enabled, or any VLANs enabled?

Nah, the UPnP page has never populated. I've tried to use it with my PS4, XB1 and phone (for Remote Play) and it's always been empty, even though it worked fine pre-DumaOS. IPv6 is disabled on the R1 and my modem, and I haven't touched anything regarding VLANs. 

I seem to be having a lot of little issues that nobody else has seen. Maybe the installation went wrong. It'd be ironic considering DumaOS was the first firmware I installed properly over a wired connection. Every other update before that was done on my phone over WiFi lol

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jlman3705 said:

Same here.  Upnp is always empty.

I've not heard of anyone else having this issue. The team sent me a different version of DumaOS to try and the same problem remains. Thanks for sharing your experience; hopefully more visibility will allow us to get to the bottom of this curious issue 🤔

3 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi both - we'll need to look into this soon. We think it's probably just a lack of a populating table. Do you have an open NAT @Jlman3705

I don't know about @Jlman3705 but I don't get open NAT in game with UPnP enabled; it only opens if I forward the necessary ports manually. On the pre-DumaOS R1 I got open NAT in every game with UPnP enabled and the list populated as expected. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, lllRL said:

I don't know about @Jlman3705 but I don't get open NAT in game with UPnP enabled; it only opens if I forward the necessary ports manually. On the pre-DumaOS R1 I got open NAT in every game with UPnP enabled and the list populated as expected. 

Thanks - remembered this was the case for you, so wondered if JLman was seeing the same thing. Thanks for confirming - hopefully we can look into this soon as appreciate it is inconvenient.

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks - remembered this was the case for you, so wondered if JLman was seeing the same thing. Thanks for confirming - hopefully we can look into this soon as appreciate it is inconvenient.

Console gets open Nat but game will only get open Nat with ports forwarded. Upnp list never populates and stays empty.  Old firmware populated good sized list.

20 minutes ago, Jlman3705 said:

Console gets open Nat but game will only get open Nat with ports forwarded. Upnp list never populates and stays empty.  Old firmware populated good sized list.

Are you on Xbox mate? I think when I loaded up my XB1 it said open NAT but moderate in game. PS4 says the normal type 2 NAT which is open but in a proper router setup, ie not just a modem straight to the PS4. 

I might need to plug in my XB1 to double check but I'm pretty sure it was open on the console test either way. 

6 hours ago, lllRL said:

Are you on Xbox mate? I think when I loaded up my XB1 it said open NAT but moderate in game. PS4 says the normal type 2 NAT which is open but in a proper router setup, ie not just a modem straight to the PS4. 

I might need to plug in my XB1 to double check but I'm pretty sure it was open on the console test either way. 

PS4

UPNP.PNG