Increase PIA VPN Speeds?

RecklessYuki

Hello everyone, I'm a new proud owner of the NetDuma R1.

I just set up the router and everything seems to work very well. One thing I'm noticing is that my VPN (private internet access) seems to be running much slower than they "should" be.

My advertised down and up is 100Mbps/10Mbps. Without the VPN i get 68Mbps/9Mbps which is good and I'm satisfied with that (since I live in a small town in an apartment complex so I'm not expecting advertised speeds). With the VPN I'm getting 8Mbps/7Mbps. The upload is fine since PIA informed me that I can expect a 20% drop in speeds, but the download seems too slow.

I put in the following for the advanced vpn section and it shows that it is connected:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote us-west.privateinternetaccess.com 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
(purposely deleted certificate for this forum post)
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

I searched the forums and followed the guides to speed up connections (for the 50 to 100Mbps speeds), I even disabled the IPv6 in the three locations.

I chatted with PIA support and they recommended that I applied the following setting if I can, not sure how to go about this and am not sure if this would improve my performance or not. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/dd-wrt-openvpn

PIA informed me that they only officially support DD-WRT, TOMATO, and PFSENSE firmware. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

So since my initial post in this thread I did some searching around. Most self proclaimed experts on other forums are saying that the hardware performance of the router itself determines how well the router encrypts and decrypts the information packets when using it as a VPN hub. So not sure how well the Atheros 600Mhz CPU and 128mb of ram can handle that. From what I read the "best"  store bought router currently is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 with its 1GHz dual core cpu. So if this is true then this could be the reason why my download speed is tanking and I don't notice the upload as much.

On a side note I'm now looking into building a custom router just for a VPN. Would be cool if I could purchase the Netduma firmware and install it in a custom router for maximum performance.

I'm still looking forward to any input on this matter.

• Netduma Staff

Hi Reckless, welcome to the forums :)

A lot of the time it is that the VPN provider can't handle the high speeds. Are you sure that your VPN provider supports your 60Mbps down? If it does, then you may be correct that it is a bottleneck with the Netduma that is can't encrypt/decrypt the information fast enough.

Maybe you could contact the VPN company and ask them what their maximum download speed is - that way you would know for sure whether it is the Netduma or the VPN :)

Have you tried PIA on just your computer to see what speeds you get?

Personally when I had PIA the speeds were trash and I dropped them after a month. But that was just my experience. For reference I get about 30-40mbps of my normal 80mbps on my VPN just now on download.

So I ran a test with the VPN (private internet access). My speeds this morning without it is 70/9. With the VPN on the router I'm getting 10/8. With the VPN application from PIA i'm still maintaining 70/9. So there is no loss to my download speed when I have the encryption and decryption running on my PC, but if the router is trying to do it then it starts to bog down. So I'm going to assume that the hardware of the router determines how well it can perform. So I think I'm going to look for a different router to test this theory to see if there is some truth behind it or not.

Thank you for the replies!

I use PIA. Normal for me on Uverse is 24/6 but w/PIA on it drops to 6/1.

Is that with the PIA ap for through the router?

I noticed with PIA that sometimes I need to change locations. But the test I ran earlier was set the same, US West. The netduma was considerably slower. I'm interested in testing a nighthawk but I am hesitent to spend the money... Ha.

What are you using the VPN for may I ask? Unless you're torrenting, watching high quality YT videos etc you don't really need loads of speed. 

I'm using Private Internet Access. Watching high quality videos, downloading games, and uploading youtube videos is what I do so I would need loads of speed. I was just taken back that I wasn't getting the speeds I was paying for. But for the netduma currently I just disabled the VPN for my consoles and pc. The consoles are running without it because I noticed with the vpn I was lag jumping in CoD AW on the PS4. I also am just running the VPN app that my VPN provider has and that is working very well.

Thanks you for the replies!

• Administrators

Ahh I see so pretty much everyday usage you do behind a VPN. It is a shame and you will lose speed generally using a VPN, though I too am surprised when using the application on PC you don't experience this. Yeah you will get added latency when using a VPN on a console, I'd suggest a gaming VPN if you want to use it on a console :) 

So is this not a MTU issue? Could it just be a problem with my VPN that I chose? From a good amount of google searching PIA is supposed to be one of the best. Do you guys have a recommendation as far as what is know to work very well with your router? I read reviews that Hidemyass is not very good, and Vyprvpn got some real negative privacy reviews and poor customer service.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Administrators

It could be an MTU issue, we have added this to the ticket system to look into. I've also heard good things about PIA so I wouldn't have thought it was them. No we don't have any recommendations per se, if you can get a free trial of a gaming VPN and see how that performs on console that'd be good :) We are looking into the MTU side of things so hopefully we'll have some answers :) You're welcome!

• Administrators

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Ok just in-case people didn't know that bandwidth is ample for gaming.

I think the low VPN speeds could actually be due to MTU issues. Basically the VPN header means packets are too large so they get fragmented. This will in theory hurt performance bad. I'm going to look into a solution for this in the next upgrade. 

Archived