XR700 vs XR500

Questions for @Netduma Fraser. 1) Is there a real world difference btwn the quad 1.7 in the 700 vs the dual 1.7 in the 500? 2) Does bufferbloat only apply if you are maxing out your up or downlink? I ask since that's the only real reason I'd make a $500 purchase and since I have gigabit I'm not sure I need it if my understanding of bufferbloat is correct. 

One more question. Since I'm currently deciding btwn XR700 and Asus AX88U is there a further real world difference btwn quad 1.7 and quad 1.8? 

Thanks,

Dan

Both are great routers on paper. Although I returned the xr500, I'm waiting for the xr700 myself. My house has 2 roku, 2 Xbox one's, my ps4, laptop, iPad, 5 android phones and will be adding security cameras to the mix. Everything going in various orders in time. I assume the more memory along with the quad core chip will help the xr700 handle everything going on. Game consoles don't use much "mbps" upload or download. I have att uverse gig service and within the dumaOS game play never passed 10mbps for each console. Average usage per console was about 3 to 4mbps per console. The main thing that sets this router apart is the dumaOS software. This is the deciding factor for us "gamers" the xr500 and xr700 hardware and if you use plex or that 10g network switch For Lan parties. 

• Administrators

Both are great routers - seriously beast hardware that will suit most needs. The key aspect of both, over any router, is DumaOS. I know we're biased here, but you're getting software features you won't find on any other router that will make a big difference to your lag. We will also be bringing out a lot more features so it will only get better.

For the hardware specifics - it's probably best to send your questions to NETGEAR (I recommend their Twitter account @NETGEARgaming). But in general, the main differences are the extra ports and the Plex server on the XR700. So it's your decision if you would like to pay the extra.

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, crunkjuice1 said:

Both are great routers on paper. Although I returned the xr500, I'm waiting for the xr700 myself. My house has 2 roku, 2 Xbox one's, my ps4, laptop, iPad, 5 android phones and will be adding security cameras to the mix. Everything going in various orders in time. I assume the more memory along with the quad core chip will help the xr700 handle everything going on. Game consoles don't use much "mbps" upload or download. I have att uverse gig service and within the dumaOS game play never passed 10mbps for each console. Average usage per console was about 3 to 4mbps per console. The main thing that sets this router apart is the dumaOS software. This is the deciding factor for us "gamers" the xr500 and xr700 hardware and if you use plex or that 10g network switch For Lan parties. 

The XR500 uses a IPQ8065 which is a quad core CPU. See here for details https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

Its more than enough to handle what you have,  the XR700 needs more horsepower for the Plex server, the router is total overkill for most homes tbh. Also don't be fooled by active antennas, in tests they were not as good as some routers by Netgear half their price like the R7800 (XR700 is a R9000 with DumaOS added, XR500 is R7800 with more ram and DumaOS added)

Great explanation killhippie. This is what we need to hear. I'm using an older netgear X8. Game consoles are wired directly into router. Wireless for gaming is not even thought of here. The dumaOS is the main item that is separating these routers from other manufacturers. Let's say I have a XR500 and a competitor on the opposite team has a XR700 all things being equal for example aside from reaction time who has a faster router actively helping them win? This might be a question for the folks at netgear. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, crunkjuice1 said:

Great explanation killhippie. This is what we need to hear. I'm using an older netgear X8. Game consoles are wired directly into router. Wireless for gaming is not even thought of here. The dumaOS is the main item that is separating these routers from other manufacturers. Let's say I have a XR500 and a competitor on the opposite team has a XR700 all things being equal for example aside from reaction time who has a faster router actively helping them win? This might be a question for the folks at netgear. 

That question can't really be answered, theres so many variables when it comes to comparing a connection with another person. They would both do a great job

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, crunkjuice1 said:

I agree with Fraser there are so many variables, the biggest being the quality of your line. The faster router wont really be part of the equation  since gaming uses so little bandwidth that it does not need big quad core processors, although Plex etc does. More important is your line as I mentioned, your cabling, switches if any etc, even the latency from your console/PC to your monitor or TV, and do you use wireless or hard wired controllers etc on consoles. When you break it down I don't think you would ever notice the difference between the XR700 or XR500 as both use DumaOS  (the R1 only has a 600Mhz CPU and works really well) 

Say you may be getting 33 ms pings to a server you are using in Europe from the UK and another person even in the same village or city could be getting 60ms because maybe they have Aluminium from the cab to their home if using VDSL2 for instance instead of copper. Then add maybe 40 ms lag to their TV compared with the other user who may only have 20ms lag and you start to see how complicated it all gets.

Hi. I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread. 

I am curious to know as to what devices will be able to connect to the 60GHz WiFi Network on the XR700.

Must the receiving device such as our phones be capable of that network in order to connect to it?

Then does that mean the 60Ghz network is incompatible with a majority of the devices out there?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, AsNCo said:

Hi. I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread. 

I am curious to know as to what devices will be able to connect to the 60GHz WiFi Network on the XR700.

Must the receiving device such as our phones be capable of that network in order to connect to it?

Then does that mean the 60Ghz network is incompatible with a majority of the devices out there?

It would only be specific devices that support ad so if you don't have any devices like that (I don't think they're hugely common) then you won't be able to use it as far as I am aware.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It would only be specific devices that support ad so if you don't have any devices like that (I don't think they're hugely common) then you won't be able to use it as far as I am aware.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)