Wi-Fi Calling

Jakosaur

iPhone - Wi-Fi Calling appears at the top, sometimes. When you go to make a call or send a text when it does appear at the top, it never starts ringing or sends the text.

• Administrators

Hi Jak - the variance is probably to do with your phone or your network provider. A good way to test this is to enable WiFi on your modem and connect to that. See if the supply is similar. If it is then you know it’s not the router. 

On 10/13/2018 at 8:38 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Jak - the variance is probably to do with your phone or your network provider. A good way to test this is to enable WiFi on your modem and connect to that. See if the supply is similar. If it is then you know it’s not the router. 

Hey, just done some testing. 

Turned the modem back into router mode and connected to its Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi calling appeared immediately and texts and calls went through immediately. 

Put the modem back into modem mode, connected back to the R1, Wi-Fi calling didn’t appear. I had to disable and reenable the setting and when it eventually appeared, nothing went through, texts failed to send and calls never connected.

Hope this helps! :) 

• Netduma Staff

Lets try to ascertain the source of the issue.

If you completely disable QoS using the button in the Anti-Bufferbloat submenu, are you able to use WiFi calling?

17 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Lets try to ascertain the source of the issue.

If you completely disable QoS using the button in the Anti-Bufferbloat submenu, are you able to use WiFi calling?

Already got QoS disabled to get higher broadband speeds.

image.png.860d0540ae914d1ae57a7d2cce126697.png

@Jakosaur

When you placed your modem back into router mode, it could have placed your phone on a different subnet than what the R1 delivers.  Try restarting your phone and delete your current wifi connection. Then rejoin your wifi network, enable wifi calling

Im pretty sure this is a longshot, but you never know

• Administrators

QoS would be the most obvious cause with DPI dropping the packets but if it's disabled then that can't be it. Have you tried changing the WiFi channels to see if that works, whatever it's set to by default may be heavily congested. Would use a WiFi analyser if possible to find the least congested one. 

Also try the above suggestion as well.

@major masingil Thanks for the suggestion, just done that, Wi-Fi calling appeared but then disappeared like 2 minutes later. Couldn't send a text sadly.

@Netduma Fraser Hello, I just used a Wi-Fi Analyser to see what channel my network was on, and it's the same channels the modem automatically selected when I put it back in Router Mode yesterday & I put it back in Router Mode today, and it picked the same channels. 

@Jakosaur FYI I'm having some issues with my wifi calling as well. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting yet. It was working fine for about 4 days, and this morning I wasn't able to make any wifi calls. I reset my phone and router, and it still didn't work. 

I didnt see any open ports on upnp. Normally there are (2) always opened for my DirecTV streaming connection.

• Administrators

What phone is being used? If an iPhone please port forward 500 UDP for the device and see if that works please. It may be different depending on the device, if possible find out what it uses and port forward that port.

@Jakosaur @Netduma Fraser

I called my phone service's tech support.  They had to update the UICC Identifiers, and push through some additional SIM updates on their back end. Then I had to toggle wifi and wifi calling off and on a couple of times.  I am now able to use wifi calling.  It should be noted that my phone did receive a firmware update yesterday. Samsung Note 8.  I'll let you know if I start having any new issues

Tech support listed the following ports as possibilities:

1. 500 UDP
  2. 4500 UDP
  3. 5061 TCP/UDP

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Jakosaur said:

@Netduma Fraser Just forwarded that port to my iPhone, and still no luck sadly. Text messages aren't sending. 🙁

Do you have UPNP enabled on your router (check the Network Settings section)? Are ports appearing in the open table there?

Could you also see if your modem has a 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode' and try toggling to that to see if it fixes your problem.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Do you have UPNP enabled on your router (check the Network Settings section)? Are ports appearing in the open table there?

Could you also see if your modem has a 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode' and try toggling to that to see if it fixes your problem.

UPNP is enabled, ports don't appear but have been opened for the phone in Port Forwarding. 

Modem is already in modem mode. 

Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, Jakosaur said:

UPNP is enabled, ports don't appear but have been opened for the phone in Port Forwarding. 

Modem is already in modem mode. 

Thanks for the help!

I'm definitely still having issues with wifi calling. I left the house and returned an hour later and it is back to not working. I attempted to open all of the ports I listed above, and they did not work either. I'm going to make my own thread so I don't hijack yours.  Good luck Jakosaur

• Netduma Staff
33 minutes ago, Jakosaur said:

Never worked on the original R1 firmware, Wi-Fi calling never appeared for me.

Yeh I recall people having issues with this on the previous firmware. We're in a much better position to test and resolve issues like this, so we'll definitely try to reproduce this bug and see what we can do.