UNABLE TO PLAY IN A PARTY - HALO 5

i have the xr500 w/ latest software and i am UNABLE to play with friends on XBL playing halo 5 

my friend who also has the same router who lives in the SAME town as me set his geo filter to the SAME distance that mine was set to and we got in a party and started a game and it allowed him in the game but it kicked me out. it did this multiple times. 

makes zero sense.

the tutorials for so called whitelisting friends is outdated and unusable since the user interface is no longer the same as it was in the tutorials 

can someone help me with this please? 

i LOVE this feature but the fact that I am unable to use it with friends is pretty bad 

• Administrators

The likely  explanation here is that one of you does not have the filter setup correctly. We’ve tested two routers on Halo 5 a lot so there shouldn’t be a problem  

Could you take a screenshot of your entire geo-filter screen and post here. Would be great if you could also post your friend’s. We can than help you fix the issue. 

• Administrators

Thanks. Setup looks good. Does the first user also have strict mode enabled (in the geo-filter map options)?

Do you both see the server on your Map when you join it? Just want to make sure you both have correctly added the right device. 

we both have strict mode enabled and yes the devices we've added are correct - our xbox one's appeared in the list of available devices to connect to. the unnamed device that's in his picture wasn't there last night - he added that today when he took the pic so that's not a part of anything we're talking about just FYI. 

so what can we do to be able to join a halo 5 lobby together and go into a game without one of us being kicked out before game start and the other going into the game alone ? 

• Administrators

Hmm. All the settings sound good. 

If you both try to join a game individually, that has a server outside your range, does it get blocked?

Easiest way to test this is to put your location in the ocean and search for a game. Every server will be blocked. If you not block successfully then we’ll need to look into this further.

If one of you can’t block then we know who has the issue!

no, it only booted me back and not my friend - that's the issue. it should boot us both or keep us both. 

on a side note i have to reset my password EVERY time i log on here - so annoying... it doesn't let me on even though i type it in right 

• Administrators

I don't know why that would be, if it's outside their radius as well then should kick you both. Your friend definitely has their settings the exact same? Filtering Mode and strict enabled?

The username/display name from the previous are just one now, if you had two different ones that may be the issue

i was party leader we tried going into a game. attempt 1 it kicked us both back out = good. attempt 2 it allowed me in the game and kicked my friend out. 

next i gave him party leader and attempt 1 it kicked us both out. attempt 2 it kicked us both out again. attempt 3 it kicked us both. attempt 4 kicked us both. attempt 5 kicked us both. attempt 6 put us both in a game together. 

very odd. 

any idea why it didn't work w/ me as party leader but it worked w/ him as party leader. 

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, juicehound said:

i was party leader we tried going into a game. attempt 1 it kicked us both back out = good. attempt 2 it allowed me in the game and kicked my friend out. 

next i gave him party leader and attempt 1 it kicked us both out. attempt 2 it kicked us both out again. attempt 3 it kicked us both. attempt 4 kicked us both. attempt 5 kicked us both. attempt 6 put us both in a game together. 

very odd. 

any idea why it didn't work w/ me as party leader but it worked w/ him as party leader. 

I've never seen an issue quite like this - it's stumped us all at this point. Unless I've misunderstood it, it looks like you've managed to get it to work in attempt 6.

Did anything change when you attempted the 6th time? Did you change any settings etc?

Halo 5 never used to do this, and indeed I'm unsure whether this is only happening to you or not. We often played Halo 5 in our office and never encountered this issue. Did you try to connect to any more games after attempt 6? i.e did you connection stabilise after that successful attempt?

• 5 weeks later...

just to bring this to a close - we've done testing and swapped hosts etc. and i believe the issue was that we were unaware that we needed to actually pin the center of the circle at our location and that it doesn't automatically detect our location based upon our internet connection and IP address etc. 

since we both pinned it in the exact same spot, we've not had the issue ever again, regardless of who was hosting. 

this is a good thing to include in a step by step as it was the missing piece for us. we had our pin at different locations. so even though we were in the same town and party and using the same search radius, everything was wrong b/c we weren't searching from the same pinned spot. 

i will be posting another issue/question in a separate post to follow.