Slow GUI

Dan

Hi

Just reporting some findings until I can get back on to the Original Firmware.

Currently downloading Black Ops 4 monster patch and the DUMAOS GUI isn't loading any apps. I'm just getting the spinning circles. Nothing else is on the network and my computer isn't doing any other tasks. I am using Chrome. Has been fine up until now.

• Administrators

Hi Dan - did you end up downgrading or changing anything? Very odd that this is appearing some time after your initial upgrade.

To fix, I recommend a reboot. If that still doesn't work, push the factory reset pin button down on the back of your router and hold it until it restarts. This should fix the issue

• Administrators

If you are downloading fast then the UI will slow down on this router because the CPU spends entire time forwarding network traffic. That is expected behaviour, you wouldn't want it the other round. Ultimately the goal is route packets while keeping low-latency.

tl;dr. Limitations of hardware. You don't get this on XR500/XR700 due to hardware acceleration handling network processing. 

I couldn't get in to the GUI the whole time the download was running. To a degree isn't the R1 defeating itself? With a download running I couldn't get into the GUI to turn on Bufferbloat or adjust the Sliders or reduce amount of bandwidth available to the device using it all.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Dan said:

I couldn't get in to the GUI the whole time the download was running. To a degree isn't the R1 defeating itself? With a download running I couldn't get into the GUI to turn on Bufferbloat or adjust the Sliders or reduce amount of bandwidth available to the device using it all.

Pause the download then setup, then resume

My point, perhaps too subtle, is that it's slightly odd that you can't force access the GUI once it's under load. Yes, in this instance I could but access wasn't instant. More importantly, once the wife is on the network, it'll take a braver man than me to ask her to pause for a moment so, and I quote "you playing that bloody game again"

• Administrators

That would only be necessary to pause for a large download like that, other things should be fine though. Would advise setting to 'When High Priority Detected' perhaps, then it will just apply automatically when you start gaming