Bufferbloat

Dan

Has the concept of preemptive and reactive gone from DUMAOS on the R1? I always stayed on preemptive when on the original firmware.

I have installed the DUMAOS but my bufferbloat is worse than the original firmware. It was always fantastic on the original.

I have tried a reboot but no difference. 

Also I was forever rebooting the original R1 and it never impacted my line so I don't think that has anything to do with it

• Administrators

Hi Dan - yes, there is just one now and it should be very effective so if you’re not seeing this then something is not right with your setup. 

How are you measuring it’s effectiveness?

Hi

I'm using DSLreports which I have always used. To be clearer with my language though it is the line quality grading that is quite a way off. I am getting "C"s which I would only get if I brought the CC sliders to 5%.

It is right you can't Deny a dedicated server? It shows that it is denied yet I keep connecting to it.

• Administrators

Have you set Anti-Bufferbloat into Always mode? And if you open the 'Burger' menu in the top left corner of the Antio-Bufferbloat panel, have you entered in your max bandwidth speeds correctly?

Hi

Yes Bufferbloat to always.

And Yes I have set max bandwidths to the same values that I had with the original firmware

I also had the Good output selected but now testing with it unticked - does that option change something in the algoritm?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Dan said:

Hi

Yes Bufferbloat to always.

And Yes I have set max bandwidths to the same values that I had with the original firmware

I also had the Good output selected but now testing with it unticked - does that option change something in the algoritm?

Hi Dan - let's use this thread to get to the bottom of it. What are the actual results you are getting on DSLReports? All our beta testers are getting A+ when testing so if your settings are correct we have to assume it's your line, or perhaps a router upstream that is affecting it?

To answer your first question, Goodput doesn't affect the algorithm. As the little help icon says, 'When the Goodput option is checked, the bandwidth values for both upload and download will more closely align to a Speedtest. We recommend you keep this option checked.'

If you're interested, here's a bit more on Goodput: https://packetpushers.net/throughput-vs-goodput/

Hi

I am confident it is not my line. I have been using the Original R1 for over a year now. I have been fortunate that most of the time I am A+ A+ A+ even at 100% on the CC with Preemptive. Sometime Bufferbloat could be A at 100% but bring it down to 98% and I'm back to A+. Line quality was A+ and I was able to bring CC all the way down to around 10% without affecting line quality. At 5% I would get a C or sometime D and from your beloved double dialogue boxes sub-10% wasn't recommended.

I am still seeing A+ Bufferbloat but if I bring down my speeds line quality suffers so much sooner

• Administrators

Interesting. If you downgrade back, does it go back to A+ across the board. If you could take screenshots of each test (DumaOS on R1 vs Original R1) that would be very helpful. Thanks.

• Administrators

Anti-bufferbloat is not equivalent to anti-flood did. DumaOS is future-proof, the original algorithms took up too much CPU and ended up hurting the connection. Extensive testing has gone into anti-bufferbloat during alpha testing. It will get you optimal performance for your line. 

• Administrators

Could you post your results here? It would also be useful if you could run a PingPlotter test while using a lot of bandwidth but with anti-Bufferbloat on, as well as when you’re not using bandwidth, to compare the performance