Mobile hotspot

• Administrators

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, that's not possible. 

Out of interest, why are you trying to do this? Would be good to know as it could be something we could add to our development roadmap.

Basically, the internet in the UK is very bad. Almost all ISPs provide services based on the BT infrastructure. If you look at the history of my posts, you will see I have been struggling with FIFA. Because I have Asperger's I need to find out what is the problem and why do many people complain about lag, input delay and speed up lag. After 20 months of testing, trialing and so on, I finally found the problem: packet loss. I have, on average, 2-3% packet loss at any point in time. And that is with 2 different home broadband connections. However, the packet loss on mobile broadband is under 0.5% and I wanted to use a router to share my phone data. The problem with that is the latency. I managed to get my modem hooked to the phone and then the XR500 plugged into the modem. The bufferbloat is still high. However, my players are a lot faster and more lively with the data from my phone. Most likely, because of the packet loss being so low.

• Administrators

2%-3% packet loss is crazy! Did you use PingPLotter to measure this? If so, have you ever sent this data to the ISP? They really should fix it for you.

This is not an official Netduma recommendation, but a personal recommendation - look into an ISP called IDNET. They consistently top the quality rankings and have a great support.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Netduma Admin said:

2%-3% packet loss is crazy! Did you use PingPLotter to measure this? If so, have you ever sent this data to the ISP? They really should fix it for you.

This is not an official Netduma recommendation, but a personal recommendation - look into an ISP called IDNET. They consistently top the quality rankings and have a great support.

Hi again,

I managed to track down the packet loss on my network. There was a VPN driver (something) I installed on my PC and it was interfering with my tests. Moreover, it seems I am not getting any packet loss. Basically, I am back to square one. However, I am going to give IDnet a try, as my contract with Zen expired.

I have a question related to the firewall on the XR 500. If I turn off the firewall on my modem, is there a firewall on the XR500 to protect me against attacks of any kind?

• Administrators

Great question - yes there is. So you can safely set your modem to modem mode etc and rely on the XR500 to do the standard router firewall (NAT etc)