Devices reverted back to 'unnamed device'

soakes76

• Administrators

Interesting. There's a few in there that are showing correctly, but most are not. Could you do this please:

1. Try rebooting one device. See if that device then shows with its correct name on the Network Map
  2. If that doesn't work, could you try rebooting the router

If neither works then the simple solution is to factory reset, but obviously we would prefer to not have to do that. Please don't do this unless we say to as this current state could be very useful for us to debug. 

• Administrators

Good stuff.

Have you connected an Access Point or Extender etc to your R1? Is that what your phone is connecting to? I can't think of any other reason as to why it would show on the LAN otherwise.

• Administrators

Thinking about it, if you are using an extender or similar, it might be worth just rebooting that and see if that corrects all the device names.

• Administrators

Regarding WAN/LAN, all devices connected to your router will appear on the LAN side as it is your local network. WAN is for above the router which will only be a modem/router that provides the router with internet access.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, soakes76 said:

I do have a Ubiquiti AC Pro connected (UBNT on the Device MAnager )which has 11 devices connected as I write this but shows none on the Duma Device Manager?

2018-10-11.png

Will probably be those unnamed devices which it's unable to identify

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks for continuing to support the R1 and for developing DumaOS for it and for including me in the open beta.

Rather than starting a new topic, I also wanted to report that I have this issue. I ensured that preserve settings was ticked and yet all the names of my devices were lost (except for my main PC that I completed the upgrade from). I attach a picture, Please Notes: before I took this screenshot I manually changed the names of two devices - the Study PS4 and my phone, by looking up the MAC address.

466630387_DumaOS-prereboot-2manuallyrenamed.thumb.JPG.bbf0f6c2fbb2c7999ed9641b5ba6f880.JPG

I also rebooted the R1 to see if it would change anything, I don't think it has:

88951892_DumaOS-postreboot.thumb.JPG.269b37a586e2228c36b955dfb8dff590.JPG

Also, the R1 thinks that my iPhone (and other devices) are using a Wired connection, when they are using WiFi. I suspect that this is because I have disabled WiFi on the R1 and instead am using a BT Whole Home Mesh WiFi consisting of three WAPs, two of which are connected to my CAT6 network via a wired connection.

Capture.JPG

• Administrators

Hi Grafight - thanks for reporting this. It's  something we are aware of and planning on improving in future firmware version.

For now, I recommend rebooting your mesh system. Upon reboot, the names should update in your Device Manager. They will still show as being on LAN though because devices that are behind an extender/switch/mesh add on etc are connected via a wire to the router so they been showing like this. We will see if we can improve this in future.

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Grafight - thanks for reporting this. It's  something we are aware of and planning on improving in future firmware version.

For now, I recommend rebooting your mesh system. Upon reboot, the names should update in your Device Manager. They will still show as being on LAN though because devices that are behind an extender/switch/mesh add on etc are connected via a wire to the router so they been showing like this. We will see if we can improve this in future.

Thanks for the response 🙂