Open Beta of DumaOS on the Netduma R1: General Discussion

Netduma Admin

• Administrators
6 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

came home, had mod nat type rebooted r1 got open nat type set ping to auto flushed cloud and it looks like the server is in europe? 

image.thumb.png.9c294f60599287944cd8290dc0330a5c.png

Looks like a mislocated server there - which Ping Assist has correctly allowed through (one big reason we made Ping Assist in the first place).

We're working on another Cloud update, which we are hopeful will get all of these servers in the correct place.

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

so far i cant find a decent game with the geo filter on. been like this for some days now

Are you still getting that 12ms server? What's the ping of the servers you're getting? :)

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

yes but the ingame ping is the one i sent you a screen shot from its 80 to 100+

something definitely going  on because its almost as good as the old firmware with the geo filter off

We never recommend using the in-game ping reading since it's not a true representation of your connection - it accounts for input and server delays that are out of your hands, as well as not being accurate. If you're getting a 12ms ping that's awesome :D there will be cloud updates in the future to make sure servers are in the right place!

i tried changing my home location a couple different places the first 1 or 2 games is awesome then the next games are extremely laggy

that dubblin server i use to have my home screen set to. close to it is another server now and that was has a low ping

but again after 2 or 4 games connection goes to crap with the geo filter

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

i tried changing my home location a couple different places the first 1 or 2 games is awesome then the next games are extremely laggy

that dubblin server i use to have my home screen set to. close to it is another server now and that was has a low ping

but again after 2 or 4 games connection goes to crap with the geo filter

Does your ping reflect this or is it just a feeling? It could be the way servers are prioritised in games but I don't really know. I can't see this being caused by the router itself, it's far more likely to be game net-code or another phenomenon.

I just remember playing on the old netduma OS, and sometimes it would do the same thing he is saying, and my ping would go up real high on the GEOF,  And the CPU usage would spike 100% and just stay there the whole time and it would make me lag soooo hard it was unplayable,  I would have to shut off the GEO wait a minute till it refreshed then turn it back on, and it would be fine again for another few hours, or few games!  It was kinda random! 

no it reflects. so today i been playing with the geo filter off. had to go to the store shut my xbox off came back turned it on and it went right back to mod. restarted the r1 and actually turned the geo filter back on flush the cloud and it looks like its showing a lot more of my friends in the correct position

after 3 to 5 games in the same lobby games turn so bad to where they are not even playable. i close the game turn geo filter off restart everything then pub stomp. but the geofilter on the first couple games are awesome

• Administrators

If you’re getting moderate NAT in-game is it actually affecting your ability to connect to friends etc? It could just be a false reading as the game sees the Geo-Filter blocking distant servers so says ‘moderate NAT’

Blocks friends and takes longer to get lobbies!   Its for sure not a false reading!   Its kinda like the OS is not renewing the port FW or UPNP,  And it does it with either GEO on Or Off!    If you Reboot the R1 then open the game, Its open!   If you restart the game it will stay open!   But if you shut the game off for more then like 5-10 minutes and start it back up, Its back to MOD NAT!  And It for sure effects the game lobbies, Friends cant join in game, and lobbies take longer and there not as good for sure!  

• Administrators

Ok - Todd, could you start a new thread because it’s hard supporting you both in one thread. 

In that thread, could you describe your setup again please e.g. modem -> router etc and let us know if you have put the modem into modem mode or bridge mode

i have already

but i thought this was the correct section to point out bugs for beta testing of the dumaOS? if no more info is needed i would gladly convert back to the older firmware to a actual public release of the DumaOS is available

• Administrators

If its a cloud issue of whitelisting a NAT server then no need for firmware update, if to do with allow/denying then that would yes. Someone noticed that previous IDs in the list weren't subject to a potential fix we implemented but newly denied/allowed hosts seemed to worked correctly so would suggest removing the list and trying again