DumaOS on the Netduma R1 is now in Open Beta!

Netduma Luke

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, NoMoreMyFriend-S said:

Yes I did.

tried for a week or so and then reverted to R1 OS. didn;t work out for me.

How come you didn't get along with it? There might be something we can improve on! :)

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

How come you didn't get along with it? There might be something we can improve on! :)

I can't speak for NoMoreMyFriend-S, but I'd assume it's the same issues that most people need to revert are having.

R1 OS works perfectly fine for every game. Fast matches with low ping. The way it should be. 

I upgrade to Duma OS and it takes 30 minutes to find a match in Black Ops 4 TDM and half the time I am connected to a server in Europe.... for some reason... even though I have strict mode on in California.... Yikes. 

Not to mention half the time when we leave lobbies, we have to go through a 5 step process to get the router working again. 

• Netduma Staff
48 minutes ago, Conjecturable said:

I can't speak for NoMoreMyFriend-S, but I'd assume it's the same issues that most people need to revert are having.

R1 OS works perfectly fine for every game. Fast matches with low ping. The way it should be. 

I upgrade to Duma OS and it takes 30 minutes to find a match in Black Ops 4 TDM and half the time I am connected to a server in Europe.... for some reason... even though I have strict mode on in California.... Yikes. 

Not to mention half the time when we leave lobbies, we have to go through a 5 step process to get the router working again. 

Ping Assist is coming soon so that'll alleviate these issues, if not completely fix them. We're also working on a massive cloud update to resolve the problems folks are having. There's always teething pains when a new CoD comes out as we dissect the net-code and figure out what's going on, but it shouldn't be long now before DumaOS dominates BO4!

1 hour ago, Conjecturable said:

I tried BO4 for the first time a couple of days ago, and with the filter on (750 mile radius) I couldn't find a TDM. All I'd get was some weird error message that would kick me back to the menu, and after that happened a few times my game crashed. I had a feeling something was seriously wrong because after the first error my PS4 sounded like a Boeing 747 ready to take off through my window. 

I turned off my geofilter, restarted the game, connected to online services, re-enabled the filter and tried searching for both a merc playlist game and then a TDM. In total I was sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for about 15 minutes. It's funny you mention this is because after all of that, I get connected to the New Jersey server... from the UK 🙃 I was bored of waiting so I just spawned in and, surprise surprise, I encounter nothing but teleporters in a 1fps-looking flip book of a match LOL

On 11/5/2018 at 7:19 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Ping Assist is coming soon so that'll alleviate these issues, if not completely fix them. We're also working on a massive cloud update to resolve the problems folks are having. There's always teething pains when a new CoD comes out as we dissect the net-code and figure out what's going on, but it shouldn't be long now before DumaOS dominates BO4!

I have no doubts that the new ping assist with fix most of these issues if not all of them. However, without being able to test it myself I didn't want to put it in writing that it will (or possibly) could fix these issues for everyone else or even myself. 

Was just trying to give some insight on why some of us are having to revert until we get that new update, even though it's issues that you and the rest of the team are already aware of and working on fixing 😁.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, lllRL said:

I tried BO4 for the first time a couple of days ago, and with the filter on (750 mile radius) I couldn't find a TDM. All I'd get was some weird error message that would kick me back to the menu, and after that happened a few times my game crashed. I had a feeling something was seriously wrong because after the first error my PS4 sounded like a Boeing 747 ready to take off through my window. 

I turned off my geofilter, restarted the game, connected to online services, re-enabled the filter and tried searching for both a merc playlist game and then a TDM. In total I was sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for about 15 minutes. It's funny you mention this is because after all of that, I get connected to the New Jersey server... from the UK 🙃 I was bored of waiting so I just spawned in and, surprise surprise, I encounter nothing but teleporters in a 1fps-looking flip book of a match LOL

You have to set your radius and enable the geofilter before you boot up BO4.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, lllRL said:

people teleporting and shooting me around walls. Didn't lose a single gunfight and still manage to die 5 times in just half of a late join. Superb. 60Hz working out well I see. 

I'm regretting buying it already. My PS4 sounded like an aircraft waiting to takeoff in the menu, and after all that it gave me a cancerous lagfest anyway. 

On 11/4/2018 at 4:12 AM, NoMoreMyFriend-S said:

Same thing. with the first big patch it seems they messed up what they left on good in the game from the beta.

^ It was Treyarch's update that stuffed it, BO4 was pretty solid before that. Before the update, there were a couple of maps with a few frame rate issues (Gridlock and Contraband specifically) but the update took a massive dump on performance. The closer you get to an enemy the more is skips/stutter/teleports. Treyarch must be aware of it by now so we just have to wait until they work it out and fix it.

If I were you, I'd send videos of the miserable performance issues to Treyarch, Vondehaar, etc, that's what I've been doing.

6 hours ago, pollutionblues said:

You have to set your radius and enable the geofilter before you boot up BO4.

My filter was already set up. 

I even went through this with a friend who was struggling to get local games on PC; he gets 80ms pretty much every game, apparently connecting to NJ from New Mexico in every mode. I copied the guide from here in BO4 support, had him close the game, check the server locations, set up his radius, enable filtering mode and then boot up the game. He cannot find a game in any mode with the geofilter on. That's after changing his gaming PC to a PS4 in the device manager too. 

With the geofilter off, he gets "server disconnected" after every game too. 

• Netduma Staff
48 minutes ago, lllRL said:

My filter was already set up. 

I even went through this with a friend who was struggling to get local games on PC; he gets 80ms pretty much every game, apparently connecting to NJ from New Mexico in every mode. I copied the guide from here in BO4 support, had him close the game, check the server locations, set up his radius, enable filtering mode and then boot up the game. He cannot find a game in any mode with the geofilter on. That's after changing his gaming PC to a PS4 in the device manager too. 

With the geofilter off, he gets "server disconnected" after every game too. 

If he's getting that with the Geo-Filter turned off it's definitely an issue with the game. It's nothing new - there's complaints abound online about that exact issue. I'm just crossing my fingers that a patch is released soon to solve it on Treyarchs end. We're doing everything we can on our end to get a cloud update ready and get Ping Assist ready to help.

1 minute ago, Netduma Jack said:

If he's getting that with the Geo-Filter turned off it's definitely an issue with the game. It's nothing new - there's complaints abound online about that exact issue. I'm just crossing my fingers that a patch is released soon to solve it on Treyarchs end. We're doing everything we can on our end to get a cloud update ready and get Ping Assist ready to help.

I get something similar with my filter on tbh. I get an error code that says lobby not joinable a second after entering prelobby to search for a game and get kicked, even in TDM on PS4 with my filter radius covering 6 local servers. If I turn the filter off, well... I have a wait just to find an American game 🤨

20 hours ago, ColonicBoom said:

^ It was Treyarch's update that stuffed it, BO4 was pretty solid before that. Before the update, there were a couple of maps with a few frame rate issues (Gridlock and Contraband specifically) but the update took a massive dump on performance. The closer you get to an enemy the more is skips/stutter/teleports. Treyarch must be aware of it by now so we just have to wait until they work it out and fix it.

If I were you, I'd send videos of the miserable performance issues to Treyarch, Vondehaar, etc, that's what I've been doing.

Please send contacts, so i can do the same. Thanks

On 11/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, Netduma Jack said:

Hey Jack,

Are you guys looking into for something like Destiny Forsaken?

There is a consistent pain when you find people teleporting and the hit detection is just balls lol

I am aware it’s peer to peer but is there anything we can improve on? Tired of people within my range kill me with one burst that look like 3 bursts in one frame.

Also Duma OS insist on connecting me to the European server rather than Irish, which is closer. 11-12ms ping but there is a consistent delay in hit registration etc.

So hoping you’ve got something covered for us destiny gamers as well.

cheers.

• Netduma Staff
4 minutes ago, Kaks07 said:

Hey Jack,

Are you guys looking into for something like Destiny Forsaken?

There is a consistent pain when you find people teleporting and the hit detection is just balls lol

I am aware it’s peer to peer but is there anything we can improve on? Tired of people within my range kill me with one burst that look like 3 bursts in one frame.

Also Duma OS insist on connecting me to the European server rather than Irish, which is closer. 11-12ms ping but there is a consistent delay in hit registration etc.

So hoping you’ve got something covered for us destiny gamers as well.

cheers.

We're always testing new games to find out if there's anything we can do for it. Your ping is amazing though, so DumaOS might have done all it can! Still, thanks for letting us know :)

On 11/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, lllRL said:

My experience in CoD is much the same as it was on pre-DumaOS tbh: force low ping games, apply QoS (even if nothing else is online, I have it set to 70% always), traffic prio the console and most of my games are laggy. 1 in 100-200 games will be super smooth and responsive, with fast hitmarkers, fluid player position updates, aim assist that's accurate - normal, in other words. The rest of the time I'm getting hitmarker delays in excess of 300-500ms, shots not registering at all despite being bang on a guy's chest even when he's not moving (and then recording the game and watching back to confirm), taking damage before I see it, being told I'm in a different position according to the other player's version of events, and being shotgunned the frame someone appears on my screen only to watch a killcam and see he walked around and had half an hour to walk the dog, cook dinner, clip his toenails then throw his low sens camera movement towards me roughly and windmill hipfire with a slow killing AR... which is patently nonsense when I'm on "7ms ping" with a monitor that is arguably the fastest in the world by far with 1.6ms input lag at 60Hz.

Wireshark tests I've done show up to 2650ms UDP latency to my local CoD Choopa server while pinging the same IP on the R1 geofilter shows a flat 7ms with under 0.2ms jitter. I don't get UDP packet loss either so that's not the cause of the lag. I've run four tests sending and receiving a combined total of around 34000 packets and not one packet was dropped, but the delays between timestamps for sent and received packets had greater delays than the basic update rate of the game anyway. The worrying thing is you can't even calculate UDP latency by just looking at timestamps because there's no "ping" or response or anything like that; it's all one way unless you control both the client and server and set up iperf or something to calculate delays between sending and receiving. These are just delays between packets being received or sent on my end, which could be just half the journey LOL 

I learned the other day that game devs use other ways of determining a player's latency in game, aside from the usual TCP/IP ping, which made me think back to BO3 (and now BO4) with latency numbers showing something different to ping results - pretty much always higher than ping latency anyway. Maybe it's actually far more accurate. 

After using Wireshark my friend told me something he'd been aware of for a few years and that's when I had one of those "ahhhh, now it all makes sense" moments:

"I play on 9ms ping and it makes the game nearly unplayable. I don’t believe any of these stories about lag compensation etc they are simply old wives tales. I play on a 13ms inputlag monitor, 9ms ping to the server and I still get this BS.

What I believe now is that it’s simply down to the ISP since I see it a lot more in evening hours. Gaming traffic is generally UDP while most other internet traffic is TCP/IP. The routers at your ISP simply prioritize TCP traffic (this includes ICMP ping) as part of their traffic shaping / bandwidth congestion algorithms.

So most likely the UDP traffic is delayed at the ISP routers, by buffering or dropping packets.

The difficulty in this is that your download traffic is probably delayed while your upload is on point. So you do in fact update the server and the enemies can see you (and can kill you) At the same time server updates on your side are delayed so you spot the enemy later. And add to this interpolation delay / peakers advantage.

Why is ping constant? Because their routers prioritize ICMP ping over UDP traffic. So you can be lagging even though routers like Netduma show consistant ping.

IW has the hexagon indicators, if they go off UDP they are unreliable at all since it can only measure packet frequency. And maybe total lag from hitmarkers coming back. (UDP is simply one way traffic)

I am not the only one having these issues. I am a average player but I for fact know very good players who are also on very low latency pulling their hair out because they go up against 0.4 K/D players who have reaction times of veteran bots killing them in a single frame LOL"

I did some looking around online and there are networking experts who confirm many ISPs prioritise TCP/IP traffic to ensure pingtests and speed tests look great, since most ISP staff know nothing more beyond "I've run a SpEeD tEsT and your connection is FiNe... have you tried ReBoOtInG?". 

That would explain why I have a flat 7ms and have done for two years (except for a week of interleaving after my Smart Hub got stuck in a reboot loop), and still do on TalkTalk (actually it's permanently in the 6s now) but nothing's changed. I kinda wished I'd moved to Plusnet because I heard they have QoS for gaming on their end, whereas QoS on the user's end with the router means next to nothing if your ISP is delaying traffic or there's an issue somewhere along the line that you can't diagnose. If I had a line problem at home, I wouldn't have a jitter-less 6ms with no packet loss looking all perfect lol

The only question is how do we find games that aren't just showing a low ping but actually low latency? The only way I've found to guarantee smooth games are pulling host, but the likelihood of finding a game after setting your geofilter radius away from servers, connecting to online services and then being given host (obviously a 1/12 chance) is slim. Seems pointless using the geofilter considering most of the 7ms games I've played in the last two years have played like a one bar (300ms+). I've played games on 4G hotspots that were more responsive and in sync. I know people on the same ISP hundreds of miles further out from the server who have objectively more latency and objectively less lag. This stuff blows my mind... 

Edit: I just thought, that last part begs another question - why are games on host amazing, yet in 99% of games on 7ms it plays like a one bar? 7ms is less than half a frame difference from being host or the server. In fact when you're host, you have the potential problem of having your latency increased if at least 51% of the players in the lobby pass a certain latency threshold. That's why you can be host and show a three bar or worse. Again, makes no sense... 

All I know is gaming is miserable. I've put so much time into improving that when that 1% game comes around it's like I'm hacking, dropping 60-0 nukes on tryhards because they can't touch me. In the other 99% of games, I can be on target first with the faster firing, faster killing weapon, using quickdraw, beam to a chest on max sensitivity, not come off target, fire two or three rounds before they respond, get no or delayed hitmarkers, drop down instantly, watch the killcam, and it'll show a 0.4KD no quickdraw using TV player with 12% average accuracy firing where I was half a second before on my screen, with them windmilling with pitiful aim and reaction time, while I'm not firing because apparently I look like a deer in headlights. In fact the last time I got a smooth connection that felt like easy mode, I nuked a 4KD in a two man https://imgur.com/a/JNPKkT5 the rest of the time I'm being joked by the equivalent of recruit bots who seem to have veteran bot reaction times, 95% accuracy with hipfire, playing cracked out with the world's best keyboarder skill and wall hacks. Absolute bollocks. 

I’m with TT as well but play Destiny. Got all shielded wires etc. DMZ Upnp - whatever you call it and I get crappy hit detection.

you mentioned udp traffic is what matters although TT says they don’t do traffic management. I’ve just purchased TT and my GOD how much better it is from virgin but not quite Carling to use the term.

Was wondering isn’t contacting the isp sort this issue to get them to prioritise udp traffic? Or should someone go to isp like AAISP that can perform better? Or any suggestions on how to actually improve connectivity as I feel I get hit before I even see an enemy. It’s inconsistent. I know the best solution would be FTTP but availability is the only issue.

cheers in advance 😀

4 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

We're always testing new games to find out if there's anything we can do for it. Your ping is amazing though, so DumaOS might have done all it can! Still, thanks for letting us know :)

Yes ping is great on paper but in game it’s a different story. Is there anything outside the router that can be improved on like isp’s etc. I’m with TalkTalk and its a huge improvement on virgin. Maybe a few suggestions other than fttp.

cheers

3 hours ago, Kaks07 said:

I’m with TT as well but play Destiny. Got all shielded wires etc. DMZ Upnp - whatever you call it and I get crappy hit detection.

you mentioned udp traffic is what matters although TT says they don’t do traffic management. I’ve just purchased TT and my GOD how much better it is from virgin but not quite Carling to use the term.

Was wondering isn’t contacting the isp sort this issue to get them to prioritise udp traffic? Or should someone go to isp like AAISP that can perform better? Or any suggestions on how to actually improve connectivity as I feel I get hit before I even see an enemy. It’s inconsistent. I know the best solution would be FTTP but availability is the only issue.

cheers in advance 😀

I'm not sure if it's something you can just ask your ISP to look at tbh. Actually I read an article recently where someone warned a forum poster not to look too much into his ICMP pings for the same reason, and he said priority of UDP or gaming traffic would be in your ISP's control. I have heard that Plusnet prioritise gaming traffic though. Kinda pissed because I was trying to choose between them and TalkTalk a couple of months ago, and ultimately picked the latter because of their guaranteed 18 month contract with no price hike. Plusnet was only 50p a month more for the same 80/20 package. Ffs 🙄

All I've been doing this week is trying to find some kind of setting to help. Yesterday I got three games with those ridiculous perfect hitreg melts and the next game in the same lobby on the same server I'll get joked by a middle east player who can get away with no quickdraw, windmilling a slow killing gun. I also recorded some really funny stuff... 

I play on 20 sensitivity. Watch this clip, where I turn towards the direction I'm taking fire from. Then watch the killcam. Do they match up?

https://youtu.be/pA-sjHePyLg

If I'm on 7ms pings my killcams are about as accurate as they can get. If anything there's just half a frame of discrepancy since killcams are from server perspective (ie 0ms) with no lag compensation effects in place.

Then watch this. Hitreg was great in this game except for this one guy who moved at the speed of light and had rough aim assist over him. When he runs out in front of me and I fire, look how fast he spins around:

Load of absolute desync bollocks. 

20 hours ago, lllRL said:

I'm not sure if it's something you can just ask your ISP to look at tbh. Actually I read an article recently where someone warned a forum poster not to look too much into his ICMP pings for the same reason, and he said priority of UDP or gaming traffic would be in your ISP's control. I have heard that Plusnet prioritise gaming traffic though. Kinda pissed because I was trying to choose between them and TalkTalk a couple of months ago, and ultimately picked the latter because of their guaranteed 18 month contract with no price hike. Plusnet was only 50p a month more for the same 80/20 package. Ffs 🙄

All I've been doing this week is trying to find some kind of setting to help. Yesterday I got three games with those ridiculous perfect hitreg melts and the next game in the same lobby on the same server I'll get joked by a middle east player who can get away with no quickdraw, windmilling a slow killing gun. I also recorded some really funny stuff... 

I play on 20 sensitivity. Watch this clip, where I turn towards the direction I'm taking fire from. Then watch the killcam. Do they match up?

https://youtu.be/pA-sjHePyLg

If I'm on 7ms pings my killcams are about as accurate as they can get. If anything there's just half a frame of discrepancy since killcams are from server perspective (ie 0ms) with no lag compensation effects in place.

Then watch this. Hitreg was great in this game except for this one guy who moved at the speed of light and had rough aim assist over him. When he runs out in front of me and I fire, look how fast he spins around:

Load of absolute desync bollocks. 

Yeah this is something similar that happens to me. getting hit first before the guy pops out lol.

Just called Plus Net and they do not offer gaming package apparently - saw another broadband provider called Ghosts Broadband for gaming that apparently are good. So they said an engineer will call to answer technical questions. well lets see what they say about UDP packets.

IDNET have gaming package but too expensive. FTTP may be the only solution shame its not available readily.

I will call TalkTalk to see what they say. Will keep you updated.

Cheers.

• Netduma Admin locked, unlocked, locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic