DumaOS on the Netduma R1 is now in Open Beta!

Netduma Luke

Hi Fraser,

That doesn't explain why I dont get the Singapore server.

I then deactivated the geofilter and now I am getting the server in Singapore. In afternoon it showed the server on the geopage, now in evening I didn't see it for a while, but I n know I am on it with 32-36 ms ping. Now it is back again.

When I try with geofilter on, I only get P2P and I tried setting the range 2000-4000 in 500 km steps.

QoS, I do have min 6 MB/s down and upload reserved for the PS4.

Any ideas?

THanks!!

image.png.c2532557e83bcf11e1ab2d76d2ea0dd7.png

image.thumb.png.6e92e1ae341d87a6c5cc22494a90dcd4.png

image.png

image.png

could it be that they dynamically switch on / off servers? Like if there is below a threshhold number of people playing in an area, server is off....

I will try again tonight to on/off geofilter as I had some wonky players in the lobby who took many more bullets than they should have, while in general the hit detection was just great. will revert tomorrow if geofilter works or not . 

another question is why I do not see the other players on the geopage. what is the reason for that?

Now I think even more that my suspicion is correct that they activate singapore dynamically. It was there on the weekend, and is now gone again on weekdays...

I didnto change my netduma settings since yesterday when I had the singapore server.

today it indicates a peer to peer connection (which possibly is actually a server) somewhere in the sea under west africa. I blocked 3 of those then I get a peer (also possibly a server) in japan.

all 107-117 ms and completely unplayable.

21 minutes ago, NoMoreMyFriend-S said:

Now I think even more that my suspicion is correct that they activate singapore dynamically. It was there on the weekend, and is now gone again on weekdays...

I didnto change my netduma settings since yesterday when I had the singapore server.

today it indicates a peer to peer connection (which possibly is actually a server) somewhere in the sea under west africa. I blocked 3 of those then I get a peer (also possibly a server) in japan.

all 107-117 ms and completely unplayable.

I see servers randomly "go missing" in Europe too. Since you likely have less to connect to there in Asia, it's harder on your overall experience. 

I didn't even know they'd bothered to offer servers elsewhere in Asia yet. I remember my friend complaining about the Japanese server or 100ms+ hosts all over SEA when he lived in Thailand for part of the year lol

• Administrators

It's definitely possible though I can't say for certain. Maybe to save money they only enable in peak times aka the weekend. See if it appears this weekend as well. 

Though still odd because I've only testing during the day (UK) and always got a dedicated server.

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's definitely possible though I can't say for certain. Maybe to save money they only enable in peak times aka the weekend. See if it appears this weekend as well. 

Though still odd because I've only testing during the day (UK) and always got a dedicated server.

For Singapore?

Then my R1 with DumaOS prevents me from accessing it.

Same today, cannot connect to any server, even with geofilter off. getting kicked off peer to peer connections while loading into a game...

considering downgrade to R1 OS

Noticed friends that i have already allowed still can't join in BO4,. i have to click on there icon then hit allow again, restart the game then send them another invite then they are able to join . seems like a everyday occurrence since i only play at night time for a couple of hours a day

also will there be a email or any kind of notification when there is a firmware update for the r1 dumaOS?

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I meant I could get servers in the UK during the day so the turning off at certain times doesn't add up. I've let a developer know that this seems to occur with just DumaOS so hopefully they can see what is happening.

Thanks. The can contact me if they want me to do stuff so they can test.

I put the singapore server data into the server thread and also into OS beta thread (when i got it with DumaOS on weekend)

• Administrators
13 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

Noticed friends that i have already allowed still can't join in BO4,. i have to click on there icon then hit allow again, restart the game then send them another invite then they are able to join . seems like a everyday occurrence since i only play at night time for a couple of hours a day

also will there be a email or any kind of notification when there is a firmware update for the r1 dumaOS?

Its possible they're on a dynamic IP and its changing daily, do you know if thats the case? You shouldn't have to restart the game for that to apply. Will either put it on the forum or email it out again.

I have found the DumaOS to be a positive experience since upgrading. I like the fairly simplistic layout and the ability to move things around. It gives you a lot of information about your network  etcif that's your bag. Or like me you just switch on and play and hope everything's doing what it should be!

0n a different topic I play WW2 The game keeps putting me in the dedicated server "vultr.com" no matter where I put my home location. I have tried to deny it, to no avail. 

The in game ping is a outstanding (for me) 20ms but it still feels that I am lagging behind other players. I am experienced enough to know when it's me, I.e. When my aim is off etc etc.

So is there anyway I can force myself to get connected to another server? To see if it is any different

7 hours ago, Macca61 said:

The in game ping is a outstanding (for me) 20ms but it still feels that I am lagging behind other players. I am experienced enough to know when it's me, I.e. When my aim is off etc etc.

My experience in CoD is much the same as it was on pre-DumaOS tbh: force low ping games, apply QoS (even if nothing else is online, I have it set to 70% always), traffic prio the console and most of my games are laggy. 1 in 100-200 games will be super smooth and responsive, with fast hitmarkers, fluid player position updates, aim assist that's accurate - normal, in other words. The rest of the time I'm getting hitmarker delays in excess of 300-500ms, shots not registering at all despite being bang on a guy's chest even when he's not moving (and then recording the game and watching back to confirm), taking damage before I see it, being told I'm in a different position according to the other player's version of events, and being shotgunned the frame someone appears on my screen only to watch a killcam and see he walked around and had half an hour to walk the dog, cook dinner, clip his toenails then throw his low sens camera movement towards me roughly and windmill hipfire with a slow killing AR... which is patently nonsense when I'm on "7ms ping" with a monitor that is arguably the fastest in the world by far with 1.6ms input lag at 60Hz.

Wireshark tests I've done show up to 2650ms UDP latency to my local CoD Choopa server while pinging the same IP on the R1 geofilter shows a flat 7ms with under 0.2ms jitter. I don't get UDP packet loss either so that's not the cause of the lag. I've run four tests sending and receiving a combined total of around 34000 packets and not one packet was dropped, but the delays between timestamps for sent and received packets had greater delays than the basic update rate of the game anyway. The worrying thing is you can't even calculate UDP latency by just looking at timestamps because there's no "ping" or response or anything like that; it's all one way unless you control both the client and server and set up iperf or something to calculate delays between sending and receiving. These are just delays between packets being received or sent on my end, which could be just half the journey LOL 

I learned the other day that game devs use other ways of determining a player's latency in game, aside from the usual TCP/IP ping, which made me think back to BO3 (and now BO4) with latency numbers showing something different to ping results - pretty much always higher than ping latency anyway. Maybe it's actually far more accurate. 

After using Wireshark my friend told me something he'd been aware of for a few years and that's when I had one of those "ahhhh, now it all makes sense" moments:

"I play on 9ms ping and it makes the game nearly unplayable. I don’t believe any of these stories about lag compensation etc they are simply old wives tales. I play on a 13ms inputlag monitor, 9ms ping to the server and I still get this BS.

What I believe now is that it’s simply down to the ISP since I see it a lot more in evening hours. Gaming traffic is generally UDP while most other internet traffic is TCP/IP. The routers at your ISP simply prioritize TCP traffic (this includes ICMP ping) as part of their traffic shaping / bandwidth congestion algorithms.

So most likely the UDP traffic is delayed at the ISP routers, by buffering or dropping packets.

The difficulty in this is that your download traffic is probably delayed while your upload is on point. So you do in fact update the server and the enemies can see you (and can kill you) At the same time server updates on your side are delayed so you spot the enemy later. And add to this interpolation delay / peakers advantage.

Why is ping constant? Because their routers prioritize ICMP ping over UDP traffic. So you can be lagging even though routers like Netduma show consistant ping.

IW has the hexagon indicators, if they go off UDP they are unreliable at all since it can only measure packet frequency. And maybe total lag from hitmarkers coming back. (UDP is simply one way traffic)

I am not the only one having these issues. I am a average player but I for fact know very good players who are also on very low latency pulling their hair out because they go up against 0.4 K/D players who have reaction times of veteran bots killing them in a single frame LOL"

I did some looking around online and there are networking experts who confirm many ISPs prioritise TCP/IP traffic to ensure pingtests and speed tests look great, since most ISP staff know nothing more beyond "I've run a SpEeD tEsT and your connection is FiNe... have you tried ReBoOtInG?". 

That would explain why I have a flat 7ms and have done for two years (except for a week of interleaving after my Smart Hub got stuck in a reboot loop), and still do on TalkTalk (actually it's permanently in the 6s now) but nothing's changed. I kinda wished I'd moved to Plusnet because I heard they have QoS for gaming on their end, whereas QoS on the user's end with the router means next to nothing if your ISP is delaying traffic or there's an issue somewhere along the line that you can't diagnose. If I had a line problem at home, I wouldn't have a jitter-less 6ms with no packet loss looking all perfect lol

The only question is how do we find games that aren't just showing a low ping but actually low latency? The only way I've found to guarantee smooth games are pulling host, but the likelihood of finding a game after setting your geofilter radius away from servers, connecting to online services and then being given host (obviously a 1/12 chance) is slim. Seems pointless using the geofilter considering most of the 7ms games I've played in the last two years have played like a one bar (300ms+). I've played games on 4G hotspots that were more responsive and in sync. I know people on the same ISP hundreds of miles further out from the server who have objectively more latency and objectively less lag. This stuff blows my mind... 

Edit: I just thought, that last part begs another question - why are games on host amazing, yet in 99% of games on 7ms it plays like a one bar? 7ms is less than half a frame difference from being host or the server. In fact when you're host, you have the potential problem of having your latency increased if at least 51% of the players in the lobby pass a certain latency threshold. That's why you can be host and show a three bar or worse. Again, makes no sense... 

All I know is gaming is miserable. I've put so much time into improving that when that 1% game comes around it's like I'm hacking, dropping 60-0 nukes on tryhards because they can't touch me. In the other 99% of games, I can be on target first with the faster firing, faster killing weapon, using quickdraw, beam to a chest on max sensitivity, not come off target, fire two or three rounds before they respond, get no or delayed hitmarkers, drop down instantly, watch the killcam, and it'll show a 0.4KD no quickdraw using TV player with 12% average accuracy firing where I was half a second before on my screen, with them windmilling with pitiful aim and reaction time, while I'm not firing because apparently I look like a deer in headlights. In fact the last time I got a smooth connection that felt like easy mode, I nuked a 4KD in a two man https://imgur.com/a/JNPKkT5 the rest of the time I'm being joked by the equivalent of recruit bots who seem to have veteran bot reaction times, 95% accuracy with hipfire, playing cracked out with the world's best keyboarder skill and wall hacks. Absolute bollocks. 

Thanks for that IIIRL quite a read, understood about 75% of it but that's down to me! Played WW2 tonight on the same server vultr.com and it was like night and day. Great hit markers, shots all on point, getting 6.5.12. 10 KDR's. Next minute completely the opposite applies. No hit markers sniper rifle rounds passing through people.

So as you say it's so frustrating, but I still come back for more.!

And they say a definition of lunacy is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome. Lol

4 hours ago, Macca61 said:

Thanks for that IIIRL quite a read, understood about 75% of it but that's down to me! Played WW2 tonight on the same server vultr.com and it was like night and day. Great hit markers, shots all on point, getting 6.5.12. 10 KDR's. Next minute completely the opposite applies. No hit markers sniper rifle rounds passing through people.

And they say a definition of lunacy is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome. Lol

Definition of insanity.

put that into youtube and watch the FarCry 3 clip coming up. cracks me up every time....

15 hours ago, Macca61 said:

Lol funny enough I put IW on last night, forced the UK server and got six great games before the 500ms hitmarkers came back. One game I'm using an OSA crossmapping for fun, barely choking two nukes in the same TDM, and the next game in the same lobby on the same server (exact same IP according to the geofilter) I'm getting milked by a static NV4 player at super close range on Frontier who could shoot AHEAD of me and get hitmarkers while my 900rpm RPR and disgusting movement is shrugged off and I looked 15 frames behind with my actions and where I was facing on killcams. Tried to persevere through five or six spongefests until suddenly I'm melting and can't be touched again. I late joined a game in Precinct with an NV4 and nuked a 3KD using an NV4. I was so annoyed that I turned off, because I was getting streaked on by a far worse and far slower player - a guy I'd almost just nuked twice in the same game before I start lagging - using a joke class on a close range map. I'm definitely insane for continuing my attempt to make this work 😄 I went from averaging 27KD over the past five games stat at the beginning from my first game on, with nine Relentless medals (choked one off twice, two off twice, three off four times and three nukes, plus a game with a Relentless and two Ruthless medals in the same TDM) to under 3 in god lobbies struggling to get UAVs against 0.xKDs who supposedly had dirty snapper shots and were warming up for the next CoD champs after snorting Adderall. I want to play BO4 but I refuse to try it if it's just gonna be full of nonsensical lag like IW was despite being the best game I've played connections wise since Ghosts... sigh

11 hours ago, NoMoreMyFriend-S said:

Definition of insanity.

put that into youtube and watch the FarCry 3 clip coming up. cracks me up every time....

That is a great clip. I feel like he's talking through the screen, directly to me LOL

25 minutes ago, lllRL said:

Lol funny enough I put IW on last night, forced the UK server and got six great games before the 500ms hitmarkers came back. One game I'm using an OSA crossmapping for fun, barely choking two nukes in the same TDM, and the next game in the same lobby on the same server (exact same IP according to the geofilter) I'm getting milked by a static NV4 player at super close range on Frontier who could shoot AHEAD of me and get hitmarkers while my 900rpm RPR and disgusting movement is shrugged off and I looked 15 frames behind with my actions and where I was facing on killcams. Tried to persevere through five or six spongefests until suddenly I'm melting and can't be touched again. I late joined a game in Precinct with an NV4 and nuked a 3KD using an NV4. I was so annoyed that I turned off, because I was getting streaked on by a far worse and far slower player - a guy I'd almost just nuked twice in the same game before I start lagging - using a joke class on a close range map. I'm definitely insane for continuing my attempt to make this work 😄 I went from averaging 27KD over the past five games stat at the beginning from my first game on, with nine Relentless medals (choked one off twice, two off twice, three off four times and three nukes, plus a game with a Relentless and two Ruthless medals in the same TDM) to under 3 in god lobbies struggling to get UAVs against 0.xKDs who supposedly had dirty snapper shots and were warming up for the next CoD champs after snorting Adderall. I want to play BO4 but I refuse to try it if it's just gonna be full of nonsensical lag like IW was despite being the best game I've played connections wise since Ghosts... sigh

I experience exactly the same in BO IIII now. One game cannot be douched and the next I get destroyed by opponents I don't even see.

I am on a 100/40 fiber to the modem line on which I then have the R1 behind. I switched back to R1 OS as with Duma OS I cannot get the server in Singapore anymore. And now even with the R1 is like everytime I start the PS4 i need to restart the R1.

I use COD ultimate profile (no distance, only PA 50 ms) and I have people in my lobby that teleport all over the place.

I have regular events when my screen freezes up and maybe after half a second or more it continues......

Unplayable....

9 hours ago, NoMoreMyFriend-S said:

I experience exactly the same in BO IIII now. One game cannot be douched and the next I get destroyed by opponents I don't even see.

I am on a 100/40 fiber to the modem line on which I then have the R1 behind. I switched back to R1 OS as with Duma OS I cannot get the server in Singapore anymore. And now even with the R1 is like everytime I start the PS4 i need to restart the R1.

I use COD ultimate profile (no distance, only PA 50 ms) and I have people in my lobby that teleport all over the place.

I have regular events when my screen freezes up and maybe after half a second or more it continues......

Unplayable....

I tried BO4 for the first time tonight. First I got an error just searching for a game, then got it five times more, then my game crashed, then I looked for a game and it took me 10 minutes to find a TDM... just to spawn into people teleporting and shooting me around walls. Didn't lose a single gunfight and still manage to die 5 times in just half of a late join. Superb. 60Hz working out well I see. 

I'm regretting buying it already. My PS4 sounded like an aircraft waiting to takeoff in the menu, and after all that it gave me a cancerous lagfest anyway. 

2 hours ago, lllRL said:

I tried BO4 for the first time tonight. First I got an error just searching for a game, then got it five times more, then my game crashed, then I looked for a game and it took me 10 minutes to find a TDM... just to spawn into people teleporting and shooting me around walls. Didn't lose a single gunfight and still manage to die 5 times in just half of a late join. Superb. 60Hz working out well I see. 

I'm regretting buying it already. My PS4 sounded like an aircraft waiting to takeoff in the menu, and after all that it gave me a cancerous lagfest anyway. 

Same thing. with the first big patch it seems they messed up what they left on good in the game from the beta.

And either teh way they write the netcode it makes Netduma not work, or there is an issue with Duma OS in itself. The only thing I can use my R1 at the moment is QoS within my home, but nothing of the geofilter and ping assist seems to either work or matter....

Not a happy camper at the moment

• Netduma Admin locked, unlocked, locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic