Dumaos Firmware

I think instead of waiting on Netgear every time there is an update you guys should make it so that getting DumaOs directly from the source(Netduma) an option. We should get the option of choosing between getting the Netgear version vs Netduma's. Personally I'd rather get the OS from Netduma while Netgear provides the Hardware.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, soccerjean17 said:

I think instead of waiting on Netgear every time there is an update you guys should make it so that getting DumaOs directly from the source(Netduma) an option. We should get the option of choosing between getting the Netgear version vs Netduma's. Personally I'd rather get the OS from Netduma while Netgear provides the Hardware.

Hi! It's an interesting suggestion but it's not really possible. Think of it this way: Since Netgear is supplying the hardware, (and their products are so heavily affected by our software, DumaOS), Netgear want to retain the ability to thoroughly test what we produce before installing it on their routers.

I know their testing and the wait for a new update is longer with Netgear, but it's worth the wait since you can be sure that Netgear have done the best job they can do and assured the quality of the update. I hope this helps!

I'm definitely keen if you do.

If it ends up not feasible due to legalities in your contract or whatever with netgear, would it be possible to allow separate updating of the main OS and the DumaOS Classified Games/GeoFilter lists?

Maybe even the ability to add community sourced priority lists in addition to the dumaos list?

My biggest gripe so far is the lack of automatic PC priority rules, and I'm guessing I will have to wait an unknown amount of time (maybe never?) for Netgear to release an update to see this expanded.
Manually added priority rules are currently not a great alternative either. There is no way to turn them on or off, only create or delete them. it's a bit tricky to track down which ports to use, and I had to reverse src<>dst to what I have been told it should be to get the rules working.

Just tossing ideas out, not sure how easy this would be to do. But I'm guessing when you guys are building a priority filter to be added to the Classified games list that you use some sort of tool to compare like packets across different network captures? If a tool like that could be made for users to create their own filters automatically based on captured packets that would be amazing, and potentially reduce the workload on your team to create filters for new and old games. Especially if it was paired with community priority lists.

• Administrators

We can do things like that via the cloud - at least update them, not sure about new additions. Enabling/disabling is a good shout as well! 

Not sure about the latter, that may be something to consider as it may save us a lot of time and provide the user with greater customisation

when is the next anticipated update , I see some have issues on current ,however just checked my uptime after being away working for 3 weeks and no drop,what’s the potential improvements on Duma side for next one if any ....thanks

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

when is the next anticipated update , I see some have issues on current ,however just checked my uptime after being away working for 3 weeks and no drop,what’s the potential improvements on Duma side for next one if any ....thanks

Not sure exactly when it will be out and it will depend on what version of DumaOS they use (May be older than what we have as current due to SQA constraints).

Guest Killhippie
On 10/8/2018 at 6:16 AM, soccerjean17 said:

You cant is the simple answer, Netgear has base code for its settings and things drivers for wifi and the SoC, also they plug the security holes too so unless its an R1 where Netduma can push out updates much faster, you will always have to wait for Netgear with both the XR500 and XR700. I was hoping that Netgear would be faster and more proactive with its updating with the 'Pro Gaming' line of routers but they still stick to a 2-3 month schedule unless a hotfix is needed.