Hi Guys 

so today I received my xr500. 

I have read multi forum threads and YouTube vids etc explaining things etc.

Im already experience or no experiencing any changes at all.

im on virgin media 350mb / 20 up/ 9-13ms ping/ package and get these on wired via my mac I get these speeds etc. 

I have to use powerline adapters (tplink av2000)  as my router is in my living room and my PlayStation is in my bedroom (small flat 2 rooms away)

setup of the xr500 ws absolutely fine.

im still get high ping spikes in the region of 17/20/50/64 ms all in the same game even though my sliders where set at the recommended 70/70 and always setting. Q0s was on profiles for call of duty enabled and geo filter was @ 1000km and was in a dediserver Uk.

dont know if I’ve set up right also have played about with sliders etc still no luck.

i tried to run a dsl report etc and keep getting prompted with an error message proxy/firewall with something about bytes etc. So can’t even run a test.when I do these tests I use my Mac in my bedroom via the powerline adapter which is also connected to my PS4 via powerline.

i thought the xr500 would help lower my ping and improve my gameplay hit-detection etc but doesn’t feel any better or improved.

i hope I’m doing something wrong as I really like it / if not will give it a week and maybe return it if nothing changes. 

Anyone that could give me a few pointers.

Thanks Peter 

• Administrators

Hi Pstands - welcome to the forum. 

How are you measuring your ping? Is it in the game?

Could you run a PingPlotter test to check the quality of your line. Full guide here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

• Administrators

It's best to do it when no traffic is on your network. The aim is to get an idea of the core stability of your line.

But there's no harm turning all other devices on and using them as normal once you have done the first test to see how your network handles congestion. In other words, do two test:

1. No traffic (or as little as possible)
  2. Normal use (e.g. PS4 on etc)

• Administrators

Ok will do this and come back to you. Will do after work and go from there. If not is there a way for someone to help me out remotely??

If we determine that it would be easier to help you that way then yes thats an option but as we're a small company its the last option

This is a ping plotter test I did just a minute ago with no devices on part from my laptop.

Tivo box off

phones off

playstation off

I didn't actually turn off  the wifi on the xr500 as I dint think it would make a difference as all devices wasn't in action.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 18.16.49.png

• Netduma Staff

That line isn't ideal - you're getting quite a few spikes there considering the test is only for 10 minutes. The spikes aren't too drastic though - only about 10ms or so, whereas sometimes spikes can reach over 200+ms.

It's really the stability you should be looking at on that graph - you've got around 5ms jitter so your line is never really steady. This plus the spikes could impact your gameplay.

These kinds of issues originating upstream in your network can't be solved by routers like the XR500. The XR500 is designed to solve other problems. I'd recommend trying new Ethernet cables or even a new modem, making sure to research the best modems for gaming.

Thanks Jack.

Yeah all my cables are cat 6 and fairly new.

would you still keep the xr500 for qos and geofilter etc 

could I use my isphub. then another modem the the xr500 or wouldn’t that work?

just don’t know what to do. My games online feel ok but the odd occasion feels like people see me a few split seconds before I see them like a little delay.

• Administrators

Yes absolutely keep the XR500, it will ensure you have the best connection possible for what you have. I wouldn't advise putting another router in front of the XR500. Some Virgin customers do experience spikes, so I would check with the ISP and see if they can do anything on their end. They may even replace the hub if its an older model