Traffic prioritisation questions.

Hi all,
I'm recently received my XR500 and am getting around to setting it up how I want.
I gotta say, I'm very happy overall.

Only had one speedbump so far, I am getting the error message on V2.3.2.32 where I cannot add an 'advanced' traffic priority rule.
I have seen it is fixed in the next version so downgrading has solved this til then.

I am playing around getting prioritization to work for BF4 and I have two questions, one general and one for the netduma team.

For netduma: How does the Deep Packet Inspection work for identifying high priority traffic on pc?
Do packets that are prioritised by DPI trigger high priority traffic detected?
So far I haven't noticed it flag any traffic automatically.
Is there any data I can provide to help further it's capabilities?
Is there a list that specifies what criteria the Dumaos Classified Games applies to, how can I help expand it?

And for the general question, I am setting up port prioritisation for BF4 and eventually other games. In wireshark it shows src and dst ports are different. I have a screenshot attached of how I have it set up now which seems to be working, at least for outbound traffic. Do I need a seperate rule for inbound as the src/dst ports are reversed?

In my settings the 3658-3659 was pulled from EA's port forward info. I used wireshark to identify which ranges were active during gameplay so I'm not prioritising a bunch of unnecessary stuff. So far it seems only one range is active while playing. I'm not sure what to make of the destination port however, it doesn't appear on EA's port list. I have left the dst port as the full range until I get more data.
Have I got it set up entirely wrong?
Networking is not one of my strongest points unfortunately.

Cheers, Isaac.

Untitled.png

• Administrators
6 hours ago, azza10 said:

I am playing around getting prioritization to work for BF4 and I have two questions, one general and one for the netduma team.

For netduma: How does the Deep Packet Inspection work for identifying high priority traffic on pc?
Do packets that are prioritised by DPI trigger high priority traffic detected?
So far I haven't noticed it flag any traffic automatically.
Is there any data I can provide to help further it's capabilities?
Is there a list that specifies what criteria the Dumaos Classified Games applies to, how can I help expand it?

And for the general question, I am setting up port prioritisation for BF4 and eventually other games. In wireshark it shows src and dst ports are different. I have a screenshot attached of how I have it set up now which seems to be working, at least for outbound traffic. Do I need a seperate rule for inbound as the src/dst ports are reversed?

In my settings the 3658-3659 was pulled from EA's port forward info. I used wireshark to identify which ranges were active during gameplay so I'm not prioritising a bunch of unnecessary stuff. So far it seems only one range is active while playing. I'm not sure what to make of the destination port however, it doesn't appear on EA's port list. I have left the dst port as the full range until I get more data.
Have I got it set up entirely wrong?
Networking is not one of my strongest points unfortunately.

Hi azza, as the name suggests we analyse the packets themselves to see if it belongs to a game we have classified. 

Yes they  do.

What games are you playing? Depends on the games/platform.

Yes you can follow this: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076099-want-to-help-classify-games-for-traffic-prioritization-look-here-

It is set up wrong, you need to switch your dst & src. We specifically set source to the default of 1-65535 as in most cases that's what it should be. Would advise only changing destination and that will work.

Sorry Frazer, I've been flat out with work and I didn't respond to your reply properly.

I'm on PC and I also play PS4, but not as much.
On PC I am on Battlefield 4 mostly, I also play Ghost Recon Wildlands and a couple of Free to plays.
On the sony I play BF4, BF1, a COD or 2, a few other games that don't spring to mind.
I am yet to test out the sony on the XR500.

So this would be my lack of networking experience showing, but by doing a deep packet inspection I was under the impression that low latency traffic would have certain traits you would look for, and be automatically identified without the need for classification?

With the src and dst ports, does that identify both outgoing and incoming traffic, or do I need to set up rules for both?
Based on what I see in wireshark, theoretically the rule of SRC: all and DST: 3658-3659 only covers inbound traffic. In practice it doesn't trigger high priority traffic at all. I have played around with in just now while typing this and I must set it up the way I had it initially for it to trigger.

I have to duck off just now but I'll get a wireshark capture and head over to the classification area.

Thanks, Isaac.

• Administrators

Hi Isaac,

So this would be my lack of networking experience showing, but by doing a deep packet inspection I was under the impression that low latency traffic would have certain traits you would look for, and be automatically identified without the need for classification?

Low latency packets don't share a discernible trait, instead we inspect the packet to know what it's for. For example. a Netflix packet, a Skype packet, a Twitch packet etc. We can then categorise it based on our own interpretation of the application's purpose. For example, we know a Fortnite or PUBG packet is low latency, so we immediately prioritise it. Whereas a Netflix packet is not latency sensitive, so it is not prioritised.

With the src and dst ports, does that identify both outgoing and incoming traffic, or do I need to set up rules for both?
Based on what I see in wireshark, theoretically the rule of SRC: all and DST: 3658-3659 only covers inbound traffic. In practice it doesn't trigger high priority traffic at all. I have played around with in just now while typing this and I must set it up the way I had it initially for it to trigger.

You would need separatew rules for both, depending on what you are tyring to do. Here is a beginners guide to the tech behind port forwarding if you're interested: http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/understanding-port-forwarding/

On 10/6/2018 at 10:05 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Low latency packets don't share a discernible trait, instead we inspect the packet to know what it's for. For example. a Netflix packet, a Skype packet, a Twitch packet etc. We can then categorise it based on our own interpretation of the application's purpose. For example, we know a Fortnite or PUBG packet is low latency, so we immediately prioritise it. Whereas a Netflix packet is not latency sensitive, so it is not prioritised.

That makes sense, thanks Admin.

You would need separatew rules for both, depending on what you are tyring to do. Here is a beginners guide to the tech behind port forwarding if you're interested: http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/understanding-port-forwarding/

That was a good read, I'll check some more of that site out. I think through some more playing around I have answered my own question. When my BF4 prioritisation rule is working (red light on) both upload and download show prioritised packets increasing, which surely means that both upload and download are prioritised by the one rule. Still having trouble wrapping my head around why it works, but that's my problem not yours haha.

Thanks, Isaac