Anti-BufferBloat Causing Lag

Background:

1 GB internet speeds from Comcast

Speed Test over Wifi: 400-500 mb/s DOWNLOAD, 41 UPLOAD

Device: iPhone X, NetGear CM1000 Modem, NetGear Nighthawk XR500, CAT 7 ethernet cable from modem to router

Ping: 50-85 ms with LAG SPIKES that are constantly popping up at 130 - 150 ms

I am having major problems with lag and I know exactly the device that is causing the problem. The Nighthawk XR500 router is constantly lagging my game that I play. I know this because I switched out this router for a Linksys AC1900 and the lag is reduced by roughly 30-40% of what I experience. Now you may be asking why I don't just use the Linksys router if its so much better dealing with lag...well even though the lag is significantly reduced on this cheaper and non-gaming router I constantly get random disconnections from my wifi usually every hour or phour and a half. So its either deal with constant lag and lag spikes on this $300 router or have reduced lag but constantly getting disconnected from the internet on a $150 router. 

I have already tested this Anti-Bufferbloat and set it up with the 70% on download and upload as well as left it with 100% on download and upload, both situations give me a LOWER ping usually 30-50ms but the ping actually does not correlate to a lag free environment. The entire game play is laggy and unplayable. 

With Anti-Blufferbloat OFF, my ping is usually 50-85ms with lag spikes, and basically there is less overall lag but constant lag spikes that I encounter. 

I don't know what to do anymore with this router. I've already opened the NAT and went through all the different channels and play on 5GHZ band with only 1 device connected and only 1 application using the bandwidth...honestly I'm frustrated and disappointed with paying so much money for this router and it gives me worst performance with gaming than a $150 linksys router that is not even meant for gaming. 

If you have any ideas on how to help or improve my experience with lag, please let me know. 

I bought this xr500 router on Sunday. Set everything up now tonight after work I get on destiny 2 on ps4 and it was the most horrible experience I have ever had in a game. I'm sorry for posting in this thread but this makes me want to take router back for refund. It's horrible to think the xr700 is a few weeks away imagine the failure rate that's going to have. I am reinstalling my old netgear X8. 

Edited by crunkjuice1

• Administrators

Hi both - your experiences are really out of the ordinary so I am confident we can help you figure out the root cause and fix them. 

@triumph808 - could you run a Pingplotter test on your line so we can see if there is general instability there. You have such a high bandwidth connection that congestion is unlikely to be an issue. Please post your results in this thread and we can take a look: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/ 

@crunkjuice1 - could you also run a Pingplotter test and post your results in a new thread so we can help you there. I also recommend you follow our Geo-Filter optimal settings guide to make sure you have everything setup perfectly for Destiny. One important thing to watch out for is to disable the Geo-Filter Strict Mode: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter-setup-step-2-

My apologies again to the OP. Thank you all for the advice. I returned the xr500 today. From the looks of things across this board the xr500 has growing pains going on. I will stay watching for updates regardless. Hopefully things will get ironed out in the coming months. Take care and thanks again. 

What address do I input for the trace in ping plotter? This is the first time I’ve used this software...from what I understand I should let it run for 10 minutes...just let me know the address to use and I’m assuming just do a print screen and post the ss to the forum you indicated? Is there anything specifically I should do or click on to share my PingPlotter info? 

• Administrators

Hi Triumph - either type in Google.com or you can put in 8.8.8.8

Either are stable targets to measure against. 10 minutes is more than plenty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

HI Triumph,

To put it simply:

Transmitted = Upload

Received = Download

Most people download far more than they upload, so nothing to worry about!