Weird Right Stick Controller Lag PS4 (Please Help)

fakkel

Hi, Netduma forum I thought I had seen it all, but for the last few weeks, I am experiencing something that I can't seem to fix. A few weeks ago something really weird happened I was playing Destiny when suddenly my character/controller started to aim upwards by itself, I tried to align my aim to the normal position, but it felt extremely heavy like weights were placed on my right stick. That weird uncontrollably aiming happened only once more after that, but after the second time, playing on the PS4 has never felt the same!

My right stick aiming now always feels really sluggish, like I am covered in mud, I tried a lot of things and I even had a friend coming over with his PS4 to see if it was maybe my PS4, but even playing on his PS4 gave me the same issues. 

The things I have already tried:

• I Tried a brand new PS4 controller and my friend's controller same sluggish aim.
  • I tried 2 other monitors same sluggish aim.
  • I tried different games, same sluggish aim and it is so bad now (got worse) that I start to get motion sickness for the first time ever I played video games because my character is not moving they what my head thinks!
  • I tried another HDMI cable, nothing.
  • I disabled every Bluetooth device in my house, Cell Phones, TV's through their hidden menu's and all other devices, it felt maybe a little better, but not perfect by a long shot.
  • I tried Different Wifi Channels
  • I tried to move my PS4 away from all Bluetooth devices (from my neighbours) and again it felt better, but far from perfect
  • Disconnected my Wireless Creative PS4 headset including the soundcard, that connects through USB and Optic cable
  • I tried someone else's PS4, but the same problem

What I did discover, is that if I sit on my couch I can barely aim, so super muddy it is, but when I sit on the floor with my face in my monitor it feels 60% better but not perfect.

Like there is some interference, but I haven't bought a new device or changed anything for that matter, I only got a brand new NetdumaR1 (got switched) but I think I experience these problems before I got one. 

It also doesn't matter if I sit directly in front of my PS4 or if I put my ps4 behind the couch it stays laggy, it is a weird phenomenon and it drives me and my family completely nuts. 

Things I can still try

• Disable the Wifi of my NetdumaR1 and see if the controller lag is still there
  • My modem is in bridge mode so no Radio/Wifi Signal, but I could disconnect it and see if that fixes anything.
  • I have a Wireless Subwoofer that is wirelessly connected to my soundbar I can still disconnect that one because even in standby mode it always tries to reach the soundbar, but I have used that thing for two years and I never experienced any problems.
  • Try a wired controller or a V2 PS4 controller and put it in wired mode and see if that fixed the lag (if it is interference, it should)

Atm, I almost completely stopped playing on my PS4, because 1 it is no fun if you can barely aim and 2 it causes motion sickness. 

There are a lot of posts all around the web, from people having the same or similar problems, but Sony never even tried to answer and some posts are more than 4 years old, also there hasn't been a fix from someone who said I fixed it, some said it was their router or a new Bluetooth adapter, that's it

I got my monitor standing right next to my Samsung Smart Tv ( I disabled the Bluetooth permanently, I think), My soundbar is directly underneath my TV and my subwoofer is 2 meters to the right of my tv and my PS4 stands right next to my subwoofer. Around the corner, you have my ISP Mediabox and 2 power outlets where all the plugs are in, My netdumar1 Router and Modem. So my PS4 is 1 meter away from my router, I now put my router in the corner so it is 3 meters away, but still lag. I tried to move the modem away with the router and the same, Tonight I will try to move them away even further. All my devices are super close to each other true, but I never had a single problem, ever, before. I know channels can maybe change and cause interference, so I am trying to find out what causes it. 

Please help me out, if you have an idea, please tell me and if we fix this then this would mean the world to me, but especially to my children that use the device to learn English and to relax after school.

I don't know anything about Destiny, or only right stick lag for that matter (although I find sticks are sluggish and too stiff when brand new and I'm currently struggling to break my own in), but one thing I can suggest is absolutely not using wired mode, and definitely not buying a new controller just to try it out. 

USB polling rate on the DS4 is just 250Hz, while over Bluetooth it's more like 750Hz. The DS4 itself (not the console) wasn't designed with data transfer over USB in mind so they didn't set the controller's polling rate to 1000Hz and, for some bizarre reason, they didn't change it for the release of wired mode and the new controllers. 

The top image attached is how it polls in wired mode, while the second one shows Bluetooth input lag. That's almost quadruple the lag while in wired mode. 

If you can find a download link for HIDUSBF software that actually works (I haven't found one myself) you can change the polling rate according to this post on reddit: 

"One thing you may not have tried is using HIDUSBF to lower the polling time on the controller. The DS4 can safely go up to 2000hz (0.5ms) without an issue. I currently have mine set to 1000hz. Worth a go if the input latency is all over the place" 

phu2TLZ_d (1).png

T6HOHiP_d (2).jpg

1 hour ago, fakkel said:

If found working software of the what you said, but I don't understand how to use it, can you maybe set my controller up through something like Teamviewer?

I don't know how to use HIDUSBF myself; I've never been able to find a copy of it online. All of the download links I've ever found before have been dead :(

From what you saying, you have something interfering with your PS4 controllers.

A friend of mine got similar issue on call of duty black ops 3, suddenly out of no where he gets lags when he aim down site or is gun fire is off the target.

From research trying to find a fix, this happened immediately his internet box was changed that is on Virgin ISP. Until this day we haven't found a permanent fix.

3 hours ago, Seye said:

From what you saying, you have something interfering with your PS4 controllers.

A friend of mine got similar issue on call of duty black ops 3, suddenly out of no where he gets lags when he ain't down site or is gun fore is off the target.

From research trying to find a fix, this happened immediately his internet box was changed that is on Virgin ISP. Until this day we haven't found a permanent fix.

Yeah I'm thinking something in the home is causing issues. 

@fakkel did you try using your friend's controller on their console, or on your own at home? If you can maybe test your own controller at a friend's house on their console you could confirm that the issue is down to something causing interference around your console. Have you tried turning off other Bluetooth-enabled devices to eliminate that? 

15 hours ago, fakkel said:

Hi, Netduma forum I thought I had seen it all, but for the last few weeks, I am experiencing something that I can't seem to fix. A few weeks ago something really weird happened I was playing Destiny when suddenly my character/controller started to aim upwards by itself, I tried to align my aim to the normal position, but it felt extremely heavy like weights were placed on my right stick. That weird uncontrollably aiming happened only once more after that, but after the second time, playing on the PS4 has never felt the same!

My right stick aiming now always feels really sluggish, like I am covered in mud, I tried a lot of things and I even had a friend coming over with his PS4 to see if it was maybe my PS4, but even playing on his PS4 gave me the same issues. 

The things I have already tried:

• I Tried a brand new PS4 controller and my friend's controller same sluggish aim.
  • I tried 2 other monitors same sluggish aim.
  • I tried different games, same sluggish aim and it is so bad now (got worse) that I start to get motion sickness for the first time ever I played video games because my character is not moving they what my head thinks!
  • I tried another HDMI cable, nothing.
  • I disabled every Bluetooth device in my house, Cell Phones, TV's through their hidden menu's and all other devices, it felt maybe a little better, but not perfect by a long shot.
  • I tried Different Wifi Channels
  • I tried to move my PS4 away from all Bluetooth devices (from my neighbours) and again it felt better, but far from perfect
  • Disconnected my Wireless Creative PS4 headset including the soundcard, that connects through USB and Optic cable
  • I tried someone else's PS4, but the same problem

What I did discover, is that if I sit on my couch I can barely aim, so super muddy it is, but when I sit on the floor with my face in my monitor it feels 60% better but not perfect.

Like there is some interference, but I haven't bought a new device or changed anything for that matter, I only got a brand new NetdumaR1 (got switched) but I think I experience these problems before I got one. 

It also doesn't matter if I sit directly in front of my PS4 or if I put my ps4 behind the couch it stays laggy, it is a weird phenomenon and it drives me and my family completely nuts. 

Things I can still try

• Disable the Wifi of my NetdumaR1 and see if the controller lag is still there
  • My modem is in bridge mode so no Radio/Wifi Signal, but I could disconnect it and see if that fixes anything.
  • I have a Wireless Subwoofer that is wirelessly connected to my soundbar I can still disconnect that one because even in standby mode it always tries to reach the soundbar, but I have used that thing for two years and I never experienced any problems.
  • Try a wired controller or a V2 PS4 controller and put it in wired mode and see if that fixed the lag (if it is interference, it should)

Atm, I almost completely stopped playing on my PS4, because 1 it is no fun if you can barely aim and 2 it causes motion sickness. 

There are a lot of posts all around the web, from people having the same or similar problems, but Sony never even tried to answer and some posts are more than 4 years old, also there hasn't been a fix from someone who said I fixed it, some said it was their router or a new Bluetooth adapter, that's it

I got my monitor standing right next to my Samsung Smart Tv ( I disabled the Bluetooth permanently, I think), My soundbar is directly underneath my TV and my subwoofer is 2 meters to the right of my tv and my PS4 stands right next to my subwoofer. Around the corner, you have my ISP Mediabox and 2 power outlets where all the plugs are in, My netdumar1 Router and Modem. So my PS4 is 1 meter away from my router, I now put my router in the corner so it is 3 meters away, but still lag. I tried to move the modem away with the router and the same, Tonight I will try to move them away even further. All my devices are super close to each other true, but I never had a single problem, ever, before. I know channels can maybe change and cause interference, so I am trying to find out what causes it. 

Please help me out, if you have an idea, please tell me and if we fix this then this would mean the world to me, but especially to my children that use the device to learn English and to relax after school.

It's a known issue this goes back to 2013, down the line Sony has acknowledge it's an issue but no fix has been given.

Here is a thread I once followed while looking for a fix for my friend.

https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/Consoles-Peripherals.topic.0.25.html/intermitant_inputla-gAG8

You might be lucky to find a fix for yours, using the tips and guides on there.

Your not alone facing this issue, hope this helps.

Wauw thanks guys for already all these responses! I got the HIDUSBF Software to work and increased my controller's polling rate, the weird thing is that I can feel it is way more responsive but with the old weird lag underneath it. So the stuff that wasn't laggy before (aiming to the left with the RIGHT Stick goes smoother) goes smoother, everything besides aiming up and to the right (with the right stick). Those last 2 go smoother but you can still feel it is different from the rest. I am now 100% positive that sitting close to my monitor, probably away from Modem and Router makes my controller lag like only 30% of the 100% if I sit 3 meters backwards! 

I did disable all other Bluetooth devices, but not all infrared/wifi devices that is the next step!

Thank for posting that thread, I already read at least 30 different threads, but let's hope this one has the right answer to help me solve my individual problem.

The difference between lag and no lag. I soon will have a video up where I start to lag and a video where I have no lag at all. It is basically you can either turn 180 and headshot someone, or you have trouble aligning a shot on someone that completely stand still and is just a meter away, that is how bad it becomes from time to time.

I keep you guys updated and thanks again for all this input!

Could you share the link you used to download HIDUSBF? I've been hunting for a working one for a year lol ☹️

Hopefully we can play around with it and find something inside the software relevant to your problem. 

I wish I had Destiny myself so I could try and test it to see exactly what you're dealing with, but I've never played it 😕