Issues on encountered on V2.3.2.32

Here are issues I have run into over past couple weeks with noted firmware version. Think this majority of issues I can recall, but I got the feeling I am missing one.  All the following said I do from gaming experience feel this router does a better job for online gaming with XB1X / XBL than a previous ROG Rapture GT5433 Router comparing same device count and XB1X hard wired in both scenarios. 

1. Geo filter - can ping XBL server non stop in manual mode, but will come and go on geo map, hence geo filter mode ineffective.  Have to put to spectate mode vs filtering mode otherwise in filtering mode server will fail to be seen or will fail to join game. Occurrence - all the time behaving this way.

2. Lost wireless 5Ghz - After configuring static ip, port forwarding, qos bandwidth's and device names 5GHz channel went on holiday.  It ceased to function, despite 5ghz led being on.  Was recoverable after resetting router, major pain to have to redo everything. Occurrence - once, not repeatable.

3. QOS bandwidth setting - two issues if leave static on this screen.  First is object failed error popup after selecting a device and trying to set via window bandwidth.  second if left longer is the screen display breaks, lines no longer connected to devices, etc.  Looks like crossed sticks game.

4. DHCP static - please list all devices that have ever connected (as shown in device manager view) and not only show those actively connected.  Makes setting up static ips much easier with high count of mobile devices.  Why not use this same list across multiple rapps?  Show on on full list if device is online or offline using asterisk or something.

5. Port forwarding - assuming traffic prioritization does this when device = xbox, but if not add XBL rule to add the ports to forward for TCP and/or UDP e.g. 53,80,88,3074, etc... Maybe worth while to explain if this step is required or not for consoles?

6. QOS with traffic bufferbloat  - had instance where it was acting as a hard limit to device bandwidth despite share excess being checked.  Resetting distribution and adjusting bufferbloat %'s seemed to correct issue and free up max bandwidth when expected.

Suggestion

1. Bandwidth setting - Add a table so all devices can be set at once.  Each one change rebalances across all the others.  with 20+ device connected hard to get %'s to where you want them.  Graphic is nice for visualization, but a table would be better for setting values and apply to all at once.  If values does not match max bandwidth show error and state how much under/over assigned is value.

2. Consider to add an rapp looking at device to router ping & jitter. Will help to see if settings are helping reduce internal network buffering situations.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

1. Are you referring to the game server? Are you pinging the correct host? Enable Auto Ping and it'll ping the correct host for you.
  2. Please let us know if this happens again
  3. Are you able to reproduce this? What browser were you using? Were you on HTTPS?
  4. I think this is a Netgear standard to only show the devices currently connected but should be able to enter manually if you know the IP they'll connect with.
  5. No it does not as it's a separate feature. UPnP should open the ports necessary for the console by default
  6. Please let us know if this happens again

Suggestions

1. I think this is something we'll definitely do in future, we understand the frustration when a lot of devices are connected
  2. We will likely do something like this so glad there is demand

Blocking via the device manager at present only blocks access to the internet not the interface. In the next version likely to go public this will include blocking the interface as well

1.  I assume it is the game server.  It shows on GEO map for few secs, then disappears, sometime later reappears, etc  I was able to catch it while showing and set it to allow so I can manually ping.    but now you mention it is showing same location for XB1X / WOT as well as XB1X / BF4 / Multiplayer.  Servers always shows as in Atlanta area if my geography is correct. 

2. Will do - only occurred once so far.

3. Object failed occurs with high frequency.  Using Edge / WIn10 / 64bit.  Crossed sticks also same setup - admit screen was left on for > 30mins in background before bringing back.  Should have grabbed screen shot.

4. OK...can enter manually...uggh.

5. OK

6. Will do.  Though not likely as settings are close to where I want them.  Hence less likely to be changing settings.

Suggestions

1.Thanks - will really help when you have many low bandwidth devices and a mix of higher ones.

2. Ok.

3. Thanks - family member let person join network and they never removed the wifi setup after leaving (no malicious intent) They kept showing up connected to network afterwards and this was time I sensed limitation to blocking feature vs what I have seen other routers do...blacklist devices was my desired.  Meantime had a family chat and since changed network name & password.  Thought with 20+ devices this was not a 5 minute job.  Being able to blacklist mac address would have helped for peace of mind.

#1 got me thinking some more and my description above is somewhat inaccurate.  Here is what I experience. on XBL using XB1X.

Online joined service at home screen see - white square inside circle pop up on geo map and disappear to come back later and repeat cycle on / off.

Marker appears to be located in central Midwest area my guess.  I live in southern Florida.

World of Tanks - set to filter mode on with radius of 2000km set in center of US (all US is essentially covered by circle) and will not see US server listed in game, but will see the Europe server listed. Take filter mode off go back to spectate and US server reappears next to Europe server.  Very repeatable.  

BF4 - set to filter mode on with radius of 2000km set in center in of US and will see all servers 1 bar (poor).  Remove geo filter restart game and will see all same servers back with good ping, in my case 4 out of 5 - ~55-60ms.

Host Type Dedicated
ID 8f0dfdc8aa2e545
Domain Name cusxt1.ipv6.microsoft.com.akadns.net.

Here is example of screen shots showing icon there and not there and also ping of server captured and set to allow / manual ping.

After joining a game see the same effect on / off cycle for a head and shoulders icon.  Never remains on solid.

2018-09-24 (1).png

2018-09-24 (2).png

2018-09-24.png

• Administrators

That's a whitelisted server required for online authentication of XBL, so it's not the game server, that's why it's not always present. For the games you've mentioned they're not supported by the Geo-Filter filtering mode as you can select your own servers so would advise spectating mode for them.