50% download speeds with XR500 (AT&T's fault)

TheDude2850

9 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

And that's a PC directly connected to the modem?

No, sorry that was PC directly connected to the XR500.  I just ran a speedtest with the PC directly connected to the modem and got the below.  I'm guessing this would mean that the issue originates with the modem and not the router?

7646487909.png

my speeds were also cut in half, I have tried qos disabled and all and slides to 1000 and still in half. I have noticed this has started with the newest firmware of the XR500. And yes I did run this test on wired 

1 minute ago, TheDude2850 said:

Here's two tests with two different servers.  Similar results.

7646530634.png7646534549.png

You need to contact your ISP and have them check your speeds and service line. Let them know that your seeing degraded speeds at the modem with a wired PC using a browser connected to speedtest.net. Might see if your ISP has there own speedtest site as well. I presume once you get the modem speeds to spec, the XR will show the same afterwards.

1 minute ago, e38BimmerFN said:

You need to contact your ISP and have them check your speeds and service line. Let them know that your seeing degraded speeds at the modem with a wired PC using a browser connected to speedtest.net. Might see if your ISP has there own speedtest site as well. I presume once you get the modem speeds to spec, the XR will show the same afterwards.

Even though the speedtest within the modem UI is fine?  I just ran one and got the below:

Test Completion Time Direction Throughput(Mbps) Overhead Average Latency(ms)
09/18/2018 14:03:09 downstream 971.661 70 10.274
09/18/2018 14:03:04 upstream 951.294 70 6.854

Could be inaccurate. Your seeing differences between the modems UI and wired PC connected to speedtest.net.

Run a speedtest with speedof.me site

Does your ISP have there own speedtest site on there web some place? Mine does. I use both ISP and speedtest.net site to check speeds.

Couple of other sites to test with:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Any of them reporting similar results on the down, I would presume this is a ISP service or modem issue.

Also what is the PC CPU your using? I know my dual core PC from 10 years ago can't do speed test correctly. My quad cord mac mini can. The PCs CPU can be a factor as well.

2 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Could be inaccurate. Your seeing differences between the modems UI and wired PC connected to speedtest.net.

Run a speedtest with speedof.me site

Does your ISP have there own speedtest site on there web some place? Mine does. I use both ISP and speedtest.net site to check speeds.

Interesting that speedof.me result was super slow.  AT&T's speedtest was more inline with speedtest.net, it showed 347/934.

180918180758-772.png.619bdadbcd181a5529eb9f63679a7f0a.png

Ya never know what speedof.me is really doing. It's supposed to be a speed test site for use with out all the messy java and flash plug-ins.

Get a hold of your ISP and let them know that your seeing differences between the modem test and speedtest.net testing sites. Not sure how the modem is actually testing, could be only testing the speed between itself and the connecting box near your home. We just don't know. Your PC and speedtest.net sites are telling though.

7 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Couple of other sites to test with:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Any of them reporting similar results on the down, I would presume this is a ISP service or modem issue.

Also what is the PC CPU your using? I know my dual core PC from 10 years ago can't do speed test correctly. My quad cord mac mini can. The PCs CPU can be a factor as well.

Speakeasy and DSL reports were about the same as speedtest.net  My PC CPU is an Intel Core i7-7600u.  Apparently only two cores but it's not very old.  Laptop is an HP Elitebook 840 G4.

You might run speed test with both wired with the modem and see. I think if your getting 900 on the Up, you should be seeing 900 on the down just find with the PC your using. Mine an old AMD dual core 3Ghz I think, maybe slower. Been a while since I looked. I know that the PC and a older Mac Book Pro 2008 Dual core can't see much over 200Mb on the down. When I connected my quad core mac mini, it sees 900Mb all day. I believe PC CPUs will play a role in speed testing as ISP speeds 1Gb become the norm over time. Users need to be aware that there PCs will effect speed tests.  😏

Curious so did some searching ..

Looks like you need that ARRIS gateway to get phone, tv, etc - no way around it ,no bridge mode - just their pass-through mode.. if you got it bridged you would lose some functionality I guess.

Make sure any QOS is off on the ARRIS (if there is any options). Could your TV's be using the bandwidth downloading some on-demand or something ..? I'd imagine they would be excluded from counting against your DL limits..but you never know with AT&T ..  I have Fios so its a bit different and to get full functionality it's very tricky unless you want to surrender to double-nat. I suspect some issues people are having are not the XR500 in some cases, just config errors (isp to blame also) -- I also wouldn't trust the speed report on the ARRIS router, you know they are testing to the gateway <1ms most likely and some fudge the numbers, lol "We said UP to 940mbps, so 300mbps is in spec!" test at 2am :)

Does the ARRIS have the latest firmware?  I did a quick search and these guys found how to pull down the latest firmware and force update it so that fixes issues with pass-through and port forwarding..  see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32113577-BGW210-700-Firmware-1-6-9-Officially-out

ARRIS also has a button in the back for a hard factory reset to clear anything out you may have done and start fresh

4 minutes ago, xr500user said:

Curious so did some searching ..

Looks like you need that ARRIS gateway to get phone, tv, etc - no way around it ,no bridge mode - just their pass-through mode.. if you got it bridged you would lose some functionality I guess.

Make sure any QOS is off on the ARRIS (if there is any options). Could your TV's be using the bandwidth downloading some on-demand or something ..? I'd imagine they would be excluded from counting against your DL limits..but you never know with AT&T ..  I have Fios so its a bit different and to get full functionality it's very tricky unless you want to surrender to double-nat. I suspect some issues people are having are not the XR500 in some cases, just config errors (isp to blame also) -- I also wouldn't trust the speed report on the ARRIS router, you know they are testing to the gateway <1ms most likely and some fudge the numbers, lol "We said UP to 940mbps, so 300mbps is in spec!" test at 2am :)

Does the ARRIS have the latest firmware?  I did a quick search and these guys found how to pull down the latest firmware and force update it so that fixes issues with pass-through and port forwarding..  see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32113577-BGW210-700-Firmware-1-6-9-Officially-out

ARRIS also has a button in the back for a hard factory reset to clear anything out you may have done and start fresh

Right, AT&T forces you to use their gateway.  I don't have TV or phone through AT&T.  I only have internet.

Looks like my gateway doesn't have the latest firmware.  It's on 1.6.7 and that link is regarding 1.6.9.  I'll try updating that.

5 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Let us know how it goes. 😏

I will.  I just got off the phone with AT&T.  The rep explained that the minimum guaranteed speed for AT&T 1000 is 600 Mbps, which I wasn't getting.  He also explained that since I only have AT&T internet, that I should be using the Pace 5268AC and that they only give the Arris BGW210-700 to customers that have phone service through AT&T.  Since I have just internet, I should be using the Pace 5268AC. 

A tech is coming out this Friday to replace my Arris with the Pace, so we'll see how the different modem works out.

Be aware that others have mentioned that with the PACE modem, it doesn't have IP Pass-through and only DMZ and they say that DMZ doesn't work right on it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-w-AT-amp-T-Fiber/td-p/1612383/jump-to/first-unread-message

I know not same router system, however they mentioned that modem here...something to try while the tech is there.

19 hours ago, TheDude2850 said:

I will.  I just got off the phone with AT&T.  The rep explained that the minimum guaranteed speed for AT&T 1000 is 600 Mbps, which I wasn't getting.  He also explained that since I only have AT&T internet, that I should be using the Pace 5268AC and that they only give the Arris BGW210-700 to customers that have phone service through AT&T.  Since I have just internet, I should be using the Pace 5268AC. 

A tech is coming out this Friday to replace my Arris with the Pace, so we'll see how the different modem works out.

A very long time ago (10+) years i was given a modem that also had VOIP and i had all sorts of issues because i didn't have the phone service, they swapped out the modem and all was well

On 9/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, e38BimmerFN said:

Be aware that others have mentioned that with the PACE modem, it doesn't have IP Pass-through and only DMZ and they say that DMZ doesn't work right on it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-w-AT-amp-T-Fiber/td-p/1612383/jump-to/first-unread-message

I know not same router system, however they mentioned that modem here...something to try while the tech is there.

Apparently there is a way to completely bypass the AT&T gateway if you have AT&T fiber (not DSL).  Involves using a dumb switch.  May give this a try once the Pace arrives.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29903721-AT-T-Residential-Gateway-Bypass-True-bridge-mode

One of the steps on DSL reports says the following:

1) Define your gateway's mac on the wan port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.

I don't see options to do this under "WAN Setup".  Where might these options be in DumaOS?

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That would be in Settings > Internet Setup under router MAC address

Ok, saw that but wasn't sure.  I also see "Use Router as DHCP Server" under LAN Setup, which is already enabled.  Not sure what "WAN connectivity should be via DHCP" means exactly.