50% download speeds with XR500 (AT&T's fault)

TheDude2850

I have the XR500 setup behind an AT&T Fiber gateway (Arris BGW210-700).  The XR500 is connected to the gateway via a Cat6 cable.  The speed test within the gateway interface comes back at ~950/~950 mbps.  When I run the speed test inside DumasOS through the Setup Wizard, the download speed will be cut in half, so usually somewhere in the 400's.  Upload speed will still be ~950.  

What could be the cause of this?  To the extent is matters, I did have to change some settings in the gateway's interface since it doesn't have a bridge mode, only IP passthrough mode.  The changes were to the gateway's interface:

• Firewall Tab
    • Packet Filter - Disabled Packet Filtering
    • IP Passthrough:
      • Allocation Mode - Passthrough
      • Passthrough Mode - DHCPS-fixed
      • Passthrough Fixed MAC Address - Selected my router's MAC address
    • Firewall Advanced - set everything to "Off"
  • Home Network Tab
    • Configure
      • Set Ethernet on Port 1 to "1G full duplex"
    • IPv6
      • Set IPv6 to "Off"
    • Wi-Fi
      • Set Wi-Fi Operation to "Off" for both 2.4 GHz Radio and 5 GHz Radio

I also changed the DNS in the XR500 interface to use Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

What FW is currently loaded? There are some speed issues on v.32 currently that others are seeing. Try loading v.22 prior and test.

Having two routers on the same line can cause problems.

Try disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Possible that your ISP modem is throttling speeds as well.

6 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Having two routers on the same line can cause problems.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the NG router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

1. There is no bridge mode on the modem.  It's setup in IP passthrough mode.  I followed settings that other people have generally used for the specific AT&T modem I have.

2. I think this is essentially what I've done with IP passthrough.  All wifi radios are off on the modem.

3. I haven't tried AP mode, only router mode.  But wouldn't this effectively disable all the DumaOS features I bought the XR500 for?  e.g. Geo-Filter.  

I would do a factory reset on the XR router, this time don't use any custom DNS, just use what the XR finds from ISP service. Just set up wifi SSID and use the rest as defaults and test.

Don't use PPPoE, use Dynamic DCHP with the modem....your Modem is handling PPPoE. Seen problems with PPPoE and performances on other ISPs that use this...

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

I assume download speed in Anti-Bufferbloats settings at set to ~1000?

Guessing you're not using using VLAN or PPPoE by any chance?

Both down/up are set to 891Mb, for whatever reason.  Should be close enough.  Both sliders are at 99%.

Not using VLAN (assuming you're referring to the option to enable VLAN/Bridge group in advanced settings).  Not sure on PPPoE, guessing no since I haven't changed anything referencing that.

• Administrators

Check under LAN Setup in Settings and double check, if require a login is set to no then you don't have it.

Under Anti-Bufferbloats options disable QoS completely and redo a speed test, do you get the expected speeds then?

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Check under LAN Setup in Settings and double check, if require a login is set to no then you don't have it.

Under Anti-Bufferbloats options disable QoS completely and redo a speed test, do you get the expected speeds then?

I don't see anything under LAN setup in Settings for PPPoE or anything about requiring a login.

Speedtest below with QoS completely disabled.  Download still cut in half.  

7646332865.png

16 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

I would do a factory reset on the XR router, this time don't use any custom DNS, just use what the XR finds from ISP service. Just set up wifi SSID and use the rest as defaults and test.

Don't use PPPoE, use Dynamic DCHP with the modem....your Modem is handling PPPoE. Seen problems with PPPoE and performances on other ISPs that use this...

Setting the modem to Dynamic DHCP instead of fixed did seem to help a little, for whatever reason.  Speedtests I was running in the last hour were generally in the 300's with DHCP fixed.  I just switched to dynamic and it seems to be ~100 higher, approaching 500 Mbps.

7646347708.png

• Administrators

With QoS disabled it indicates a non DumaOS issue - still could be settings though. Interesting that changing that improved it. Set the XR500's MAC address to the MAC address of your previous router and see if that resolves the issue.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

With QoS disabled it indicates a non DumaOS issue - still could be settings though. Interesting that changing that improved it. Set the XR500's MAC address to the MAC address of your previous router and see if that resolves the issue.

I actually got the XR500 before I got AT&T internet, so it's the first router I've used with this modem/gateway.  I was using the XR500 with Comcast previously.

Just now, e38BimmerFN said:

Was the XR working ok while on Comcast?

What modem did you have with CC?

Yes, but my speed plan with Comcast was only 100 down/10 up.  The XR500 was outputting those speeds.  The modem I was using was an Arris SurfBoard SB6141, which was a modem that I purchased on my own.  I wasn't renting any equipment from Comcast.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sometimes it can take an ISP time to adjust so it could be that. Otherwise I'd suggest contacting Netgear support directly and see if they can help as it doesn't seem to be a DumaOS issue.

Ok, I did post something on AT&T's support forums a couple months ago but got no responses.

We presume your getting to spec speeds at the modem with out the XR router in the middle?

I'll run a quick test with my XR, howoever I'm on Cable and have a NG CM-1000 stand alone modem only. 1Gb/50Mb service. For you, there maybe a gateway modem issue between the modem and the router. Know anyone, family friend or neighbor with similar high speeds you can take the XR router too and test?

2 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

We presume your getting to spec speeds at the modem with out the XR router in the middle?

I'll run a quick test with my XR, howoever I'm on Cable and have a NG CM-1000 stand alone modem only. 1Gb/50Mb service. For you, there maybe a gateway modem issue between the modem and the router. Know anyone, family friend or neighbor with similar high speeds you can take the XR router too and test?

The speedtest within the modem's interface comes back at ~950/~950, while the speedtest within DumaOS comes back at ~450/~950.  So the speed dropoff is happening somewhere between the modem and XR500.  I've tried using different ports on the modem, all set to full duplex, but same result.  Don't think I know anyone around here I could test it with.

1 minute ago, e38BimmerFN said:

What do you see speeds at with a PC and a web browser at speedtest.net. Not from with in the modems UI.

The speedtest images I posted in this thread are from a PC, wired connection.  They were generally ~350/~950 before I switched the modem setting to DHCP dynamic from DHCP fixed.  Since that change, they've generally been ~450/~950