DHCP server - only allow devices with reserved addresses?

• Netduma Staff

I'm not sure if this is possible. Why precisely did you want to do this? It seems like your best bet would just be to make sure every device in the Device Manager is correct and approve them that way. Why do you need to approve devices connected via LAN? Surely if you've got a particular device wired to the Nighthawk you'll know what it is and know that it's secure?

11 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I'm not sure if this is possible. Why precisely did you want to do this? It seems like your best bet would just be to make sure every device in the Device Manager is correct and approve them that way. Why do you need to approve devices connected via LAN? Surely if you've got a particular device wired to the Nighthawk you'll know what it is and know that it's secure?

I have Ethernet run throughout the house, including to some outdoor security cameras.   I am thinking 'what if' someone were to  tap into one of the Ethernet lines.  Would it ever happen, probably not, but you never know... :)

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, netwmnk said:

I have Ethernet run throughout the house, including to some outdoor security cameras.   I am thinking 'what if' someone were to  tap into one of the Ethernet lines.  Would it ever happen, probably not, but you never know... :)

If someone were able to gain physical access they could easily spoof the MAC address of the camera and you would not know anyway, I think you may notice people with Ethernet lines running into your cameras. If they have Bluetooth for setup that's the way they would try to get in. Your system is pretty secure, I would not worry about it. Wi-Fi cameras are far more at risk than Ethernet ones. Ideally for better security a small business  UTM would be ideal, but I honestly think you are pretty secure with your setup. :)

• Netduma Staff

I agree with Killhippie above - you need to realise that if someone wants to break into your network, they will use much more sophisticated ways to do so. That being said, it is extremely rare and almost always targeted. Your network is secure from all the kinds of people who might break into random networks for whatever reason - you've got a firewall built into the router and password protection, as well as the ability to block their device via the Device Manager.

Heck, I don't even think you can tap into Ethernet lines, but even if you could I don't think this is how an intruder would choose to access your network. I could be wrong though.