speed test fluctuation

Hi everyone,

Today I have finally got my XR500 built-in speedtest working perfectly. I was complaining before here in the support forum, Mr. Netduma admin was absolutely right telling that my firewall is the issue. I disabled windows network firewall .... and BOOM! the built-in speedtest finally got reported my bandwidth.

now, I have several questions regarding different topics since here I used to find direct and fast replays from dears Mr. Fraser,  Mr. jack and other supportive Nedtuma admins. many thanks to them.

1- my speedtest on the XR500 reports widely variable download speed measures. my package is 300/80 mbps. my speedtest reports sometimes 290mbps, some times 271, some times 250. without any other devices using the internet while testing. what might directly affect a speedtest that I can modify? DNS? MTU?

2- my PS4 Pro, even worse speedtest fluctuations! one test reports 100mbps, the other one will be 270mbps .. what might be the issue? since both Sony and my ISP confirming no issues, my ISP showed me proof of my connection quality while that is not possible in Sony case obviously. 

3- Does applying QoS might in - any situation - reduce performance? I hear some sayings here and there on technical forums that QoS some time does reduce performance and creates latency, with suggestions to turn some or all features off, one of my friends using the XR500 even mentioned that unticking "goodput" option helped him a lot with in-game latency. is that a placebo? 

just to mention, I am NOT facing any major issues with my XR500 in-game performance or actual download speeds, the router just performs perfectly on my CoDs, black ops 3, infinite warfare, wwii and black ops 4 beta. 

I was just wondering about the above minor notes. 

thank you in advance. 

• Administrators

1. Is this speedtest.net or the built in speed test? Are these wired tests? Speed test servers can fluctuate in their reliability. Try some different servers in the area. 

2. I know they say on the console test itself that speed tests aren't too accurate so thats most likely the cause. I assume you're wired in this case? High Priority traffic/Geo-Filter could affect it.

3. No, the hardware is very powerful so that won't happen. Goodput is very likely a placebo but whatever works best for them!

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

1. Is this speedtest.net or the built in speed test? Are these wired tests? Speed test servers can fluctuate in their reliability. Try some different servers in the area. 

2. I know they say on the console test itself that speed tests aren't too accurate so thats most likely the cause. I assume you're wired in this case? High Priority traffic/Geo-Filter could affect it.

3. No, the hardware is very powerful so that won't happen. Goodput is very likely a placebo but whatever works best for them!

thank you very much for fast answers.

the speed tests are actually all wired using cat 6a cable. the fluctuations actually occurs on the XR500 built-in speedtest and speedtest.net. 

thanks for confirming efficiency of QoS!

good luck!