Firmware 2.3.2.32 and still wifi drops and wired disconnection

• Administrators
6 hours ago, lethaz4 said:

I had more disconnects after resetting the XR500 PPPoE has dropped 39 times in one day according to my ISP.  I also connected the ONT to the desktop it works fine?? 

Can you enter the PPPoE details into the modem instead of the XR500? It will be interesting to see if that fixes your issue.

I'll pass this onto NETGEAR as well, they may need to send you a debug firmware to try.

Hi Guys,

Common thread here seems to be PPPoE causing the issue.  I used to use PPPoE ages ago to jump to internet from a dial-up modem login and telnet terminal session.  Most providers moved on here after mid 2000s -- I don't know why they still use this protocol ..

PPPoE as I remember it uses username and password to authenticate and then starts the connection over Ethernet... giving you a public ip, dns, etc. No internet until this initial connection/login is made.

Did the internet provider give you a modem/router combo to connect to the ONT or simply connecting to an Ethernet port on the ONT works with no configuration?  If you can get internet access without a modem/router from the ONT see below *PPPoE

Can you configure settings on the ONT and disable any PPPoE settings on the ONT and set it to bridge mode to pass everything through so the XR500 can handle the initial PPPoE connection? If you need to use the ISPs modem, set that to bridge mode.  The ISP may have to do this on their end.

You can try changing MTU settings in XR500 WAN Setup, try 1508 and then 1492 (lower may work, who knows your ISPs settings and PPPoE version unless they tell you). XR500 or ISP Firewall may be blocking PPPoE data in the packet headers, or XR500 effecting this with DPI -- increasing over 1500 may stabilize the connection.

Make sure your ISP has added the XR500 MAC address into their databases, could be a firewall thing on ISP end.  If they gave you a modem/router that works fine, clone the mac address of the ISP provided modem into the XR500 and use that one for the XR500s mac address. Make sure to remove that ISP modem from the network after you clone it, as the XR500 will be handling it now.

*PPPoE can also be configured manually directly into PC's and devices, make sure no other device has this configuration information set in them on your local network, if they are connecting to the XR500 for Internet they should be straight through default Ethernet..  if a PC or device boots up that has PPPoE (the username/password) in the network info in the Broadband settings and the XR500 is already connected via PPPoE and it tries to login it may bump the XR500 off knocking down your whole network. Or the device may not get internet because of a failed PPPoE connection attempt when its already been connected to by the XR500.

If a modem/cable modem is required/mandatory by ISP to use them it has to be configured for pass through/bridge mode and any PPPoE login information in it needs to be removed. If they won't do this then XR500 needs to be configured to regular/default/non-PPPoE connection and the local network IP range should be different from the ISP modems local network range. XR500 defaults to 192.168.1.X -- if the ISP modem is the same, set XR500 local network to something different ..192.168.2.X 192.168.3.X, etc -- XR500 router IP should be put into the DMZ of the ISP's modem. This configuration is a double-NAT and not desirable method -- I'd be looking for a new ISP if this is the case.

It may be also the reason for bandwidth slowdown -- The ISP may see the XR500 as one client (even though you have 50 devices connected to it) and their internal QOS may limit bandwidth when it sees so many different packets coming from just one device.

In the end it may be a bug in the new firmware -- but it could also be that the new firmware is now correct, and it worked before because of some fluke. Just won't know until Netgear can take a look at what's going on in your situation(s).

I am not a fan of PPPoE, and would leave the provider if there were others in the area that do not use it in a heartbeat.  Same for a forced double-NAT scenario. 

Guest Killhippie

PPPoE works fine here on my line, I think the common link  may possibly be modem compatibility. I use a modem with no issues, but its it has no interface and passes the VDSL2 connection onto the router,  most FTTC connections in the UK work this way with many routers without indecent including the XR500 which is hardware wise a R7800 in disguise pretty much with 256mb of flash rather than 128mb, plus DumaOS of course.

What I'm seeing is it seems is issues with those users who are using an ONT, quite a few seem to be using Aris as well and are US based, although I'm sure there may be some exceptions too. So maybe its an issue with high speed connections and certain modems? The majority of ISP's in the UK use PPPoE with no issues at all with this router or any other. Debating PPPoE is interesting indeed but I see no issues in my connection that would warrant hunting out a non PPPoE based ISP and millions of people use PPPoE happily every day without any problems. If the XR500 has issues with PPPoE and certain modems or connection types its up to Netgear to sort that out, if that issue is on Netgears side of the DumaOS and Netgear sandwich. :)

• Administrators
On 9/18/2018 at 6:24 AM, lethaz4 said:

I have been speaking to my ISP they said that I cant enable PPPoE details into the ONT?

Have you tried the previous suggestions in this topic as I notice you're not the original poster. Would be helpful to know exactly what you have tried and the extent of the issue.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you tried the previous suggestions in this topic as I notice you're not the original poster. Would be helpful to know exactly what you have tried and the extent of the issue.

Hi, I had to downgrade back to firmware V2.3.2.22 because my isp has the features blocked on the ONT at this point I'm waiting for a beta firmware from Netgear.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, lethaz4 said:

Hi, I had to downgrade back to firmware V2.3.2.22 because my isp has the features blocked on the ONT at this point I'm waiting for a beta firmware from Netgear.

What features are you referring to, PPPoE? Do you not have the issue on the previous firmware?

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What features are you referring to, PPPoE? Do you not have the issue on the previous firmware?

Hi Fraser the feature I'm referring to is PPPoE after downgrading the firmware I still disconnect a few times not as much as v2.3.2.32 

• Administrators

Hi Lethaz - I recommend you try the beta firmware (2.3.2.26) instead of going back as far as .22. because .26 has the disconnection fix and hopefully doesn't break your other issue.

Have you raised a ticket/case with NETGEAR? They will not be able to fix the problem without debugging it.

Hello Guys,

I would keep you informed if I would get an update of netgear on my question and the following.

I have tested the concerning and so far it is still going well.

see below what has changed at the request of the technical support.

I was also asked to reduce the speed, but I refuse this. I have a fiber connection of 600 / 600mb and purchase this router to work / play with these speeds.

servlet.ImageServer?id=01580000002NctA&oid=00D300000000xsV

NETGEAR Support Case #         40470678

*** This is an automatic, system-generated message. Please do not reply directly to this message. ***

Your case has been updated by NETGEAR Support.

Case #: 40470678
Case Summary: wifi and lan ports disconnects 
Product: XR500

Update from NETGEAR:

Hi Menno,

Some options to try in resolving your connection issues:

Try changing to a different wireless channel:

Click on Wireless Settings below the setup menu.
Change the Channel.
Click Apply and test for improvement in performance.
Note: The Wireless Settings option is available under Advanced Setup in routers with the newer genie interface.

Try reducing the connection speed:
(This a a trade-off, as slower connections are usually more stable)

Click Wireless Settings below the setup menu.
Change the Mode to a lower speed.

Adjust advanced wireless settings:

Click Wireless Settings under Advanced.
Change the Fragmentation Length and CTS/RTS Threshold values to 2304.

Sincerely,

Mathias
Netgear Technical Support
http://support.netgear.com
Connect with Innovation™

*** This is an automatic, system-generated message. Please do not reply directly to this message. ***

1 hour ago, Men82 said:

Hello,

I have tested the past week and have not had any disconnection / drops anymore. topic may be closed 😉

Great to see your issue has been resolved and per your request I shall close this thread!