Firmware 2.3.2.32 and still wifi drops and wired disconnection

Hi guys

I am with the following: even after the new firmware release 2.3.2.32, both my Wi-Fi and ethernet connection are still gone.
I noticed this especially with my iphone when I get home and then your iphone automatically switches from 4G to WiFi. These are often times when I do not have internet on my phone but I am connected to Wi-Fi. It also happens regularly that I am on the internet on the internet and suddenly nothing more charging and so have to wait until I am connected again. Best irritating.
The wired playstation falls away while gaming and get the message that the network functions are not present and the game runs stiff.

I have from day 1 that I have this router (March 2018) have never had a moment that I am satisfied with the purchase of this device. Have never had so much bullshit.

Get a bit of an idea when I read on the forum that you are only doing factory resets with this router. You pay a lot of money for a device that is totally unstable in the connection

In short, it is time that the problems are really going to be resolved instead of just the above.

Have you factory reset the router after applying the FW update then set up from scratch?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Disable MIMO and HT160Mhz as well.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

• Netduma Staff

Have you contacted Netgear support regarding this issue? I'd highly recommend the advice above from e38BimmerFN.

There's some basic things to clarify as well:

- Do you get these drop-outs when you're connected straight to your Modem?

- Have you tried another Ethernet cable between your Modem and the XR500?

- Does this only happen on your phone? Are wired devices affected by the drop-outs?

Let us know the answers to the above and we'll advise you as best we can. Thanks!

thank you for contributing ideas and possible improvements.

why a factory reset every time an update comes. This irritates me terribly since I have a lot of equipment which I can name again and provide ip addresses. If I had a few devices I would think about it, but this is not the case.

As for the channels. The signal is at full transmission power, but the internet is simply disconnected. After a minute the connection returns and it works properly again. I have already chosen the best channels with the aid of a tool and this is not the problem either.

as far as ISP provider is concerned. I have never had any problems with this when I had connected my tp link. it's been since I hung the Xr500.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Men82 said:

Hi guys

I am with the following: even after the new firmware release 2.3.2.32, both my Wi-Fi and ethernet connection are still gone.
I noticed this especially with my iphone when I get home and then your iphone automatically switches from 4G to WiFi. These are often times when I do not have internet on my phone but I am connected to Wi-Fi. It also happens regularly that I am on the internet on the internet and suddenly nothing more charging and so have to wait until I am connected again.

I have an iPhone 7 and dont have these issues, you could try resetting network settings on your iPhone. I would factory reset the router, this forum represents a small cross-section of people that bought the XR500 and many don't have issues, people tend not to post when all goes well. When people say factory reset, first of all you don't need to do it every time but if your router acts oddly its best to. Even Netgear say that in the update instructions on their website. Also not using a back up stops low level info that could corrupt the latest update from creeping back in.

This was a fairly large bug update with issues with Ethernet ports drop outs. If you have still got this issue its possible since March you may have had faulty hardware. If something does not work right exchange it or RMA first time you notice. Leaving it this long and the update having not helped 'might' mean hardware issues. I would bite the bullet, factory reset from the small button on the back, set up from scratch, yes its a pain I do it and I have loads of devices and DHCP reservations etc. If you still have issues contact Netgear. Also as I said maybe try resetting your iPhones network settings (adding wifi password again) or just do a soft reset, this will vary on what iPhone you have so best to google that.

ok I will be something clearer. My hardware has already been replaced by netgear since the first one is constantly rebooting.

I'm not saying that everything is bad on this router but the first solutions are right back to a factory reset. I personally have not experienced that before.

It is not all my phone, but on all my devices the connection is temporarily lost. This will be restored, but it will take a wile.
This can also be seen in the log file. After the update of the latest version, the wired internet connection is now also lost. I have lost hope a bit.

• Netduma Staff

Hi - I would highly recommend sending these details to Netgear. You should make an account here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers and call the number provided once you've made an account. That's the best way to get in touch with them.

We are working with Netgear on a fix for this issue - thank you for bringing it to our attention. This appears to be a Netgear issue since they created the settings / upgrade systems, which is why I have directed you there - they should be able to help you better than us to resolve it. Thanks!

Guest Killhippie
13 hours ago, Men82 said:

@Netduma Jack

i would give them a call and perhaps they can help me.

@coolasmoo

thx buddy would trie to go back to.22

What iPhone are you using and what version of iOS? Just trying to figure out why mine works okay and yours does not, wondering if its hardware related as no dropouts here at all. Always good to gather information to pass back to Netgear. Did you remove the old network from your iPhone and did you name your new networks the same SSID as previous? If you did that could be causing a possible conflict as each router will have a different MAC address but the same SSID  this may be the issue with the  iPhone. Try booting up your other router and removing that SSID from your iPhone with the XR500 off then boot up the XR500 so the iPhone is only looking for one router with the same SSID (Only of course if you used the same network names across both routers)

Guest Killhippie
9 minutes ago, Men82 said:

@Killhippie

I did try anything you suggested, but this did not improve anything.
as I said it is not just a phone that is lost, but all hardware has no internet at all.

i’m on a iPhone 7 btw👍🏻

Sorry to hear that. Since we have the same phones it does look like router issues, but I dont have the issues you have which is confusing. My ISP uses PPPoE does yours?  Also what speeds are you meant to get. I would say reporting this to Netgear might be the right thing as I have had little to no trouble with my XR500 on the last of current firmware and it may be an issue that is a clash between your unit and your ISP. I wish I could help more.

One final thing have you tried using the same MAC from your previous router in the XR500? That may help, sometimes modems don't like new Mac addresses, Netgear suggest turning the modem before attaching a new router, so maybe using your old MAC address in the XR500 might work? If not contact netgear. Hoping it gets sorted out very quickly and its a simple settings issue. 👍

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, Men82 said:

@Killhippie

I did try anything you suggested, but this did not improve anything.
as I said it is not just a phone that is lost, but all hardware has no internet at all.

i’m on a iPhone 7 btw👍🏻

Rolling back to the previous version (.22) should resolve this issue. We'll be investigating these issues with .32 with Netgear, and the next firmware shouldn't contain these types of issues. Thanks for letting us know in-detail about this issue.

Please let us know if you can't downgrade to .22 and we'll see what we can do!

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Seen this before in other NG routers, FW updates seem to cause problems just by updating and doing nothing else. After a factory reset and set up from scratch, seems to resolve issues. 😏

Indeed, I reloaded the firmware for the XR500 as I noticed when I did the speed test it listed my line as having a upload speed of 17.6824 Mbps or something to that effect, it never shows that many digits in the speed test section. Reloading the firmware from a fresh download and factory resetting again sorted that glitch out, and so far its been running fine.

Trying to figure out why some people are getting disconnects. I have my xr500 running on a separate notwork to my main network and it has been running fine for weeks untouched. Not sure it is a firmware issue or not but it should be happening to a lot of users if it was i imagine........I always do a factory reset whenever I install new firmware on a router whatever the manufacturer! 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, lethaz4 said:

frequent disconnects again with my wired connection on firmware 2.3.2.32

Could you try factory resetting please?

If the issue continues, can you verify if it's your line dropping, or if the issue is just isolated to the XR500? Simplest way of doing this is connecting to your modem the next time a drop happens and see if you can get online through the modem.

1 hour ago, lethaz4 said:

I had more disconnects after resetting the XR500 PPPoE has dropped 39 times in one day according to my ISP.  I also connected the ONT to the desktop it works fine?? 

Then, the question is............................................Does this happen to those with PPPoE connection types?

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Then, the question is............................................Does this happen to those with PPPoE connection types?

PPPoE here and not one disconnection. I think the people with this issue should contact Netgear at this stage. There is a post on the Netgear forums where a person with much faster speeds is having no issues, he also lists how he updated and what he left connected which may be relevant, its really down to Netgears engineering team maybe as not everyone is suffering from these issues.