Xr500 deep packet inspection

Hi guys , I just bought the R1 and I’m very impressed with it , after some youtubing I discovered the xr500 , so I bought that aswell :)

what im finding is , I can get a better more stable gaming connection on the R1 ,  I can do the dsl reports test with deep packet disabled

i’ve read the posts about not getting a+ bufferbloat because of the deep packet inspection on the xr500 but I can’t for the life of me understand that pingplotter thing 😢

am I right in thinking that if I narrow down the correct balance with the R1 , then setting the xr500 up/down sliders to the same amount will give me the same balance ?

i wish the xr500 had the option to disable this deep packet inspection for thickies like me 🤣

or should I just forget about dsl reports and just set it to 70/70 , I’m so confused and I feel like I just spent £250 for no reason

thanks 👍

• Netduma Staff

Hi - welcome to the forum! Not to worry, everyone starts somewhere. I'll try and help you to understand the XR500 a bit better!

Using both the R1 and the XR500 at the same time won't really give you much of a benefit. If you've got an XR500 now, you're probably better off using that since it has superior hardware.

Unfortunately you can't disable DPI, though we might explore that in the future. I reckon understanding Pingplotter a bit better would help you massively - you could run your own tests and get to know your connection so much better. That software looks more complex than it is!

All you need to do is set a 'Target URL'. That's what you'll be pinging in the test, and we always recommend Twitter.com for this. After you've done that you should just be able to click the 'trace' button in the top right and run the test. The hard bit then is understanding the data you've collected, but that's where we come in! If you do run the test, post a screenshot here and we'll help you to understand what you're looking at.

Ultimately setting Anti-Bufferbloat to 70/70 is the way to go - bufferbloat doesn't cause as much trouble in games as you'd think, but 70/70 should eliminate it entirely unless you're doing some really heavy downloading. I hope this helps!

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, alanakko said:

Ok thanks man ! ,,  I’ll stick to the 70/70 for now then , and have another go with ping plotter

dsl reports gives different results every time anyway , what’s even the use of it ... 🤣

DSLreports is great but only in specific circumstances. Unless you know how to get 100% accurate results using DSLreports, it's worth just sticking with Pingplotter since you know then that it'll be accurate.

If you do run a Pingplotter test just drop a screenshot or two here. The important bit on Pingplotter is really that graph at the bottom - that'll show you your line quality. It should give you decent results with Anti-Bufferbloat enabled; it's worth running a test with the XR500 disconnected just to see how your home connection is holding up.

Give us a shout if you have any questions :)