bandwith allocation

hey i was messing with my bandwith allocation an was wondering like whats the best way to use it to move the bandwith towards my playstation 4. as far as gettin the best use out of it or any advice to use it 

7 hours ago, Matthew_D said:

hey i was messing with my bandwith allocation an was wondering like whats the best way to use it to move the bandwith towards my playstation 4. as far as gettin the best use out of it or any advice to use it 

Gaming requires very little bandwidth, typically less than 0.5Mbps so you don’t need to allocate much to your console (if any if you have share excess ticked) I’ve always left bandwidth allocation as it is, I find share excess works great. You could allocate around 20% to your console if you wanted but I would recommend letting share excess handle it.

• Administrators

Hi Matthew - please follow the great responses above. If you want to learn more about setting QoS optimally, here's a starting guide here:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos-step-3-

It sounds like you're clued up on it already though so this may not be necessary for you.

If i keep share bandwidth check i get lag /jitter whatever - it makes a huge difference if the wife is streaming 4k.

i personally would find it handy when high priority traffic is detected it unchecked shared excess.

i get a very steady 12 ping on ww2 and absolute shred with this router with it unchecked. 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Sparky87 said:

If i keep share bandwidth check i get lag /jitter whatever - it makes a huge difference if the wife is streaming 4k.

i personally would find it handy when high priority traffic is detected it unchecked shared excess.

i get a very steady 12 ping on ww2 and absolute shred with this router with it unchecked. 

That could cause issues as would severely throttle bandwidth to all devices so probably best to keep it as a separate option.

what would be the best value to set for a streaming box , such as a MAG 351 (capable of 4k streaming) ?

currently i have my sliders at 60% and 58% BandWidth Allocation to my mag box (so it get 25Mbps for 4k streams).

But when i do this, all my many other devices BWA value went to 0 (zero)....?

is this too much , or even necessary ?  Maybe Im overdoing it...? 

....or will the Share Excess take care of everything ..?

• Netduma Staff

I'd make sure nothing on Bandwidth Allocation is set to 0. Share Excess will still give those devices what they need, but it's just overdoing it really.

I'd set it to something like 40%, making sure your devices have a tad more bandwidth to play with. See how it goes with those settings :)

i understand it throttles everything but it is a gaming router so that should take priority?  - how about an option to have shared bandwidth unchecked when high priority traffic  is detected. like an auto button. 

would deff save me logging into my router and clicking these two boxes every time i fire up my xbox. 

dont know if other people notice such a difference that they need to constantly toggle "shared bandwidth", like me.

- i have 71 down 21up and throttle 65%down 89% up for a+