Stream Portforwarding Help

Hey guys, I'm trying to stream my xbox to my pc from another network. I have to perform these steps and input these ports below for it to work.

1. Create a Service Name (It could be anything but you may not be able to use the same service name twice. Ex. XBOX1, XBOX2, and so on.)

2. Select the service type (TCP, UDP, or Both)

3. Input 5050 for both External Starting Port and External Ending Port.

-Also input 4838

4. Select the IP address of your XBOX.

5. Select Apply.

6. Do the same for the other port numbers. For the range, use 49000 for the External Starting Port and use 65000 for the External Ending Port.

This worked well with my previous router which was the asus ac5300 and I was able to stream from anywhere but for some reason when I input the 49000 - 65000 into the XR500 it tells me that I am input it incorrectly. Can I get help with that final step?

• Administrators

Hi Donald - what’s the error message that appears exactly? If you use an invalid port it will warn you, but the numbers you have there look fine. 

I'm not at home right now but I do remember it saying something like "use commas 30, 50 45000 - 65000" I do have a screenshot of how I did it on my asus, would you be willing to help me with putting it in correctly with the netduma os? 

The inputs are at the bottom(last 3).

tempFileForShare_2016-07-24-14-05-34.jpg

try it with no space 45000-65000

if other services are using these ports you may have to change them or disable them there (upnp, remote management, port triggering, USB readyshare, etc.)

ex. upnp may have already assigned a port in that range to something else, just temporarily disable upnp, put the port range, then reenable it..

I just tested and it worked, I named the service and put this: "30,50,21000-22000" and it accepted 

Try with your numbers..

I think Netgear should fix that help window, because it shows spaces in the example..

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, xr500user said:

try it with no space 45000-65000

if other services are using these ports you may have to change them or disable them there (upnp, remote management, port triggering, USB readyshare, etc.)

ex. upnp may have already assigned a port in that range to something else, just temporarily disable upnp, put the port range, then reenable it..

I just tested and it worked, I named the service and put this: "30,50,21000-22000" and it accepted 

Try with your numbers..

I think Netgear should fix that help window, because it shows spaces in the example..

Try this please and if the error continues, please take a screenshot and post here. Should be easy to fix 😀

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

An update wouldn't stop it working. What most likely happened was that your Xbox IP has changed and so the ports are no longer applying to it. You'll need to set a static IP for the console in Settings > LAN as 192.168.1.2 and then reboot the Xbox. Does it work then? That or the ports required have changed in which case you'll need to find online what the new ones are. Possibly the Geo-Filter is blocking it as well so if none of that works disable the Geo-Filter and see if that resolves it.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

An update wouldn't stop it working. What most likely happened was that your Xbox IP has changed and so the ports are no longer applying to it. You'll need to set a static IP for the console in Settings > LAN as 192.168.1.2 and then reboot the Xbox. Does it work then? That or the ports required have changed in which case you'll need to find online what the new ones are. Possibly the Geo-Filter is blocking it as well so if none of that works disable the Geo-Filter and see if that resolves it.

I gave my Xbox a static IP, double checked the ports under port forwarding, and everything seems to be correct. I even factory reset both my router and Xbox but that didn't work. I then downloaded old software updates from the netgear site and even reverted to older updates to see if that would help but that didn't work either. My friend also streams his console so out of curiosity I connected to his console from my network and it worked perfectly, he had all the same ports entered as me, the only difference was that he's using an Asus Router. The geo-filter has never been a problem but how would I go about disabling it so I can test it?

• Administrators

Sounds like the Geo-Filter then, if it's streaming using ports in the 1024-65535 range it would likely block it. In which case you might be able to see an icon being blocked on the Geo-Filter when trying to stream, so you should then be able to add it to your allow list, enabling you to Geo-Filter and stream at the same time. To disable you can switch your device on the Geo-Filter from Filtering Mode to Spectating Mode.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sounds like the Geo-Filter then, if it's streaming using ports in the 1024-65535 range it would likely block it. In which case you might be able to see an icon being blocked on the Geo-Filter when trying to stream, so you should then be able to add it to your allow list, enabling you to Geo-Filter and stream at the same time. To disable you can switch your device on the Geo-Filter from Filtering Mode to Spectating Mode.

How do I go to the allow list on the router, is all of that under the Geo-Filter tab or is it under the Settings tab?

• Administrators

Everything I've mentioned is on the Geo-Filter tab. To allow the potential streaming server have the device in Filtering Mode & disable Auto Ping in the Geo-Filter Map three line option menu. Try to stream and look at the map at the same time, make sure to be fully zoomed out. You should see a blocked icon, click it and then in the ping panel on the bottom right of the screen give it a name such as 'Streaming Server' and click allow. Then stop streaming, wait 2 minutes and try to stream again. You may need to do this a few times as there are often multiple servers used for these purposes in the same locations.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Everything I've mentioned is on the Geo-Filter tab. To allow the potential streaming server have the device in Filtering Mode & disable Auto Ping in the Geo-Filter Map three line option menu. Try to stream and look at the map at the same time, make sure to be fully zoomed out. You should see a blocked icon, click it and then in the ping panel on the bottom right of the screen give it a name such as 'Streaming Server' and click allow. Then stop streaming, wait 2 minutes and try to stream again. You may need to do this a few times as there are often multiple servers used for these purposes in the same locations.

So I did what you said and it still didn't work, I have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

• Administrators

Did you see it at all on the Geo-Filter? With Spectating Mode selected you still had the issue? 

What's the exact issue - does it fail to even start streaming or does it stream but it's really buffering and low quality?

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you see it at all on the Geo-Filter? With Spectating Mode selected you still had the issue? 

What's the exact issue - does it fail to even start streaming or does it stream but it's really buffering and low quality?

No, nothing came up on the Geo-Filter. It hasn't even been detecting my console when I input my home IP address. When I go to the Xbox app and try to stream my console it says,  "We couldn't find an Xbox One  console with the IP address provided".

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, donald4689 said:

No, nothing came up on the Geo-Filter. It hasn't even been detecting my console when I input my home IP address. When I go to the Xbox app and try to stream my console it says,  "We couldn't find an Xbox One  console with the IP address provided".

Hm, that indicates that something else is amiss. Compare the IP address of the Xbox shown on the Device Manager to the IP address shown on the console itself - do they match? Try setting a static IP address for it as well, then reconfigure your port forwarding for the new address. Delete and re-add it to the Geo-Filter after this step, then reboot the Xbox. Does anything show up on the Geo-Filter now?

On 3/15/2019 at 4:43 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Hm, that indicates that something else is amiss. Compare the IP address of the Xbox shown on the Device Manager to the IP address shown on the console itself - do they match? Try setting a static IP address for it as well, then reconfigure your port forwarding for the new address. Delete and re-add it to the Geo-Filter after this step, then reboot the Xbox. Does anything show up on the Geo-Filter now?

Both IP's are the same, and I've always had a static IP for my xbox. Nothing showed up on my Geo-filter as well, when it has worked in past I've never had to touch my Geo-filter though. I have a feeling it has to do something with the port numbers within port forwarding. every time I input the last port, "30, 50, 49000-65000" and click apply it says that those ports are already being used. It's always said that even before when it was working, I would just have to reboot the router for it to work but now rebooting it doesn't even help. So maybe I'm inputting the ports wrong, I'm at a loss.

• Administrators

Apologies if covered before, do you have UPnP and or DMZ enabled at the same time as port forwarding, if so completely disable them.

What is your ISP hub? Does it have UPnP/Port forwarding enabled? If so that could then alter the effectiveness of the port forwarding you've done.

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Apologies if covered before, do you have UPnP and or DMZ enabled at the same time as port forwarding, if so completely disable them.

What is your ISP hub? Does it have UPnP/Port forwarding enabled? If so that could then alter the effectiveness of the port forwarding you've done.

Ok ill try that, but then won't I have a strict connection if i disable those? I have xfinity, and I'm using an Ariss SB8200 modem, there are no settings within the modem.

• Administrators

It should be okay but just want to see if we can at least get the streaming part working. If you put it in the DMZ and it still doesn't work then I'm not sure what is occurring there. May be a port block from your ISP.

I have the same setup as Don. Only use one at a time. Forwarding, triggering, upnp, dmz. In game will show open, but a port checked will say closed. You can even turn all of them off and set nat filtering to open and the game will still show open. I've had netgears r7000, 7500, 7800. They all do the same thing. Put openwrt on and a port check will say open. Something screwy with the way netgear is handling nat imo.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be okay but just want to see if we can at least get the streaming part working. If you put it in the DMZ and it still doesn't work then I'm not sure what is occurring there. May be a port block from your ISP.

I tested it by disabling UPnP but it still didn't work. I couldn't figure out how to disable DMZ, where is that?