XR500 Firmware V2.3.2.32 released

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

New features and enhancements:

• Improved the Smart Connect feature
  • Supports USB printers.
  • Supports WiFi HT160 for Korea and Japan.

Bug Fixes:

1. Fixes security issues.
  2. Fixes the disconnection issue for wired devices.

Running it now, all seems okay my end, bear in mind I did a factory reset and entered my settings manually. I have not had a chance to see what's new apart from what is mentioned in  the somewhat lacking Netgear list.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Guest Killhippie
8 minutes ago, xr500user said:

For those that updated to it and did not factory reset - Does it erase the device names you set up in Device Manager?

I factory reset after checking that and all devices seemed fine on my router.  I just factory reset out of habit from being a netgear user for so many years. ;)

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, xlr8r said:

is there any change in this firmware thats different from the one Fraser PM'd us all ? if, not , no point in trying this one....

Considering  this version is the official release there will have been changes compared with the one you were given. They may be just to but in the code on both Netgears and Netdumas side, therefore I would say it’s definately worth updating to, because you can’t guarantee all the security fixes and other changes were in the firmware that Fraser give you. 

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, jb68 said:

Does it contain the Hybrid VPN

Update and see. I’ve reached the end of my day I’ll explore tomorrow right now sleep is calling. :) 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, xlr8r said:

is there any change in this firmware thats different from the one Fraser PM'd us all ? if, not , no point in trying this one....

It has some other small fixes, so I would recommend upgrading 

2 hours ago, jb68 said:

Does it contain the Hybrid VPN

No, it does not. But this is in late testing now so Netgear will send this out once it’s ready. 

There

2 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

It has some other small fixes, so I would recommend upgrading 

No, it does not. But this is in late testing now so Netgear will send this out once it’s ready. 

There is no ping assist in that update?

I noticed that my laptop was classified as xbox and saw that high priority traffic packets were increasing due this. I manually changed the classification and no more problems after that. Also it classified my printer as a computer so I changed that as well.

So far it seems to have resolved the smart connect issue I was having on the last firmware where I experienced very slow wifi speeds while smart connect was enabled.

Guest Killhippie

Sadly IP Fragmentation is back with the PS4 Pro. Its back to taking ages to figure out the NAT. Think this may be a Netgear issue, but worth mentioning. Other than that so far working well for myself anyway.

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, Pete said:

I noticed that my laptop was classified as xbox and saw that high priority traffic packets were increasing due this. I manually changed the classification and no more problems after that. Also it classified my printer as a computer so I changed that as well.

So far it seems to have resolved the smart connect issue I was having on the last firmware where I experienced very slow wifi speeds while smart connect was enabled.

It wont identify printers etc thats always been a manual job alas. I found it didn't recognise my PS4 straight away but all is fine now. I don't use smart connect but this version for myself seems a lot better than previous ones in some ways but still a few bugs as always.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Uzumaki619 said:

There

There is no ping assist in that update?

No, we have not developed it for DumaOS yet but it's a big priority. Right at the top of our roadmap.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

This can sometimes happen if you accessed an Xbox Live / Microsoft through your PC. Good job on manually resolving it. Do you know which website it might have been? We've been trying to hunt down this bug for a long time!

4 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Sadly IP Fragmentation is back with the PS4 Pro. Its back to taking ages to figure out the NAT. Think this may be a Netgear issue, but worth mentioning. Other than that so far working well for myself anyway.

Ok, that's a NETGEAR issue. Have you reported it to them? We'll send on if not.

58 minutes ago, mohands said:

I think the VPN option will release when XR700 release.

The plan is to release VPN asap, once testing has completed. XR700 release date is irrelevant

Guest Killhippie
52 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, that's a NETGEAR issue. Have you reported it to them? We'll send on if not.

I have but it can’t do any harm for you guys to do that also. It adds more weight. 

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, mohands said:

I think the VPN option will release when XR700 release.

Possible but netgear stick to a 3 month update cycle generally  unless there is a security issue out that needs patching of cycle. I think you will see the VPN later in the year for both routers. Just a guess though.  I don’t think there’s any point in trying to put a date on when that features release or getting peoples hopes up. It  will be ready when it’s fully baked. :) 

Salut tous le monde impossible d'avoir la nouvelle mise à jour quand je check firmware udapte il n'y a rien et quand je vais sur le site netgear la dernière version est la. 22 ou est ce que je peux la trouver ? Merci 

I updated to the new firmware with no factory reset -- Personalized device names set in Device Manager do not get erased. So this is good :)

Noticed a few new things in logs that appeared, but everything else appears to be working the same as the prior firmware:

[DumaOS] Cloudsync DPI result 'false','All mirrors are down',
[DumaOS] R-App store cloud sync failed,  
[DumaOS] HTTP download failed with code '404',
[DumaOS] Resync R-App store cloud,
[DoS Attack: Ping Sweep] from source: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.2.32]

Ping Sweep attack in the log is a new one. It only appeared once after firmware initialization.  It may be my some of my VOIP phones being checked for connectivity.
The Cloudsync in log has appeared more than once, and recently again after 16+ hours up time on the new firmware.

Issues still present:

Device Manager: SSID with \ -- Any SSID name with a \ or multiple \'s works everywhere (SSID broadcast, other router settings areas, etc) but has a display error in Device Manager - Any SSID with \ in the name shows 3 (\\\) after the \ in the Network Map image/graphic. Fraser reported this, but I guess it's not high on the bug fix list.

UPnP: It still doesn't show all current open/active ports unless the router has specifically given the UPnP requesting device an IP via DHCP or DHCP reservation. I believe Fraser reported this to Netgear, yet they have not addressed it.  UPnP still works I believe, just the UPnP list doesn't show every requested port currently in use. Connect a device with a Static IP not assigned by the router and outside the DHCP range on the network and test UPnP and you will see what I mean. Reserve its IP or allow DHCP automatically and they will show up in the UPnP list. I believe Fraser reported this also.

Device Manager: In regards to Online/Offline activity -- Any device connected wired to switch (I have 2 in my network) seem to work correctly. Anything that connects to the routers 2/5G wifi also work.  But devices connected through a second AP/Router (on the same network) appear as Offline always.  Only the AP/Router shows itself as online. It's as if Device Manager can not see traffic of these devices to determine Online status.  I know the router is aware of them, as this is not the case in Network Monitor -- Network Monitor has no problem reporting these devices bandwidth activities in the Network Snapshot (Top 5).  So it may be a bug in Device Manager, or the way it determines Online status/activity -- maybe borrow some of the methods from Network Monitor for a more true representation in combination with existing methods. It's the perception of Online vs currently Active.

Geo-Filter:  minor issue - selecting mi instead of km does not stick between admin login sessions. Always reverts to km.

Additional thoughts ...

Thoughts on Hybrid VPN:  Could it be that Netgear has some sort of exclusive deal with HideMyAss and can not release this feature until that agreement is over. I don't believe many are using them anyway, and I can't imagine more than a 6/9/12 month agreement as it would be bad for business. You can do the math -- the router was released in Jan 2018. This is more probable as the feature is ready to go as reported from DumaOS.

Thoughts on XR700: I hope support for the XR500 doesn't wane as NetGear starts to re-release each of their routers in a DumaOS flavor -- I believe the money would come from hard aggressive support and innovation vs releasing 100s of models of the same thing -- just don't go the same route as Motorola's failure by releasing 10 different smartphones a year and they could not support them all, and lost almost all of their customers. Release one or two and maintain/update them and it will make more people buy in the long run once this is realized. More choices may bring in some now cash, but hurt in the long run.

xr500user

7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

This can sometimes happen if you accessed an Xbox Live / Microsoft through your PC. Good job on manually resolving it. Do you know which website it might have been? We've been trying to hunt down this bug for a long time!

If I remember correctly these are the webpages that were in use before I noticed it:

www.google.com (to search for dslreports and netduma forum)

www.facebook.com (with messenger active)

www.dslreports.com (speed test)

forum.netduma.com

The upload high priority was only about 18 packets, I can't remember what the download packets were at.

steam may have been doing something in the background (system tray) but I'm not sure.

I use kaspersky anti virus which may have been doing something in the background as well.

Let me know if you want any other details. I would love to be able to help track down the bug.

Guest Killhippie
13 hours ago, xr500user said:

I updated to the new firmware with no factory reset -- Personalized device names set in Device Manager do not get erased. So this is good :)

Noticed a few new things in logs that appeared, but everything else appears to be working the same as the prior firmware:

[DumaOS] Cloudsync DPI result 'false','All mirrors are down',
[DumaOS] R-App store cloud sync failed,  
[DumaOS] HTTP download failed with code '404',
[DumaOS] Resync R-App store cloud,
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.2.32]

Ping Sweep attack in the log is a new one. It only appeared once after firmware initialization.  It may be my some of my VOIP phones being checked for connectivity.
The Cloudsync in log has appeared more than once, and recently again after 16+ hours up time on the new firmware.

That message has been in the logs about R-Apps, Cloudsync DPI  and HTTP download failed with error 404 since the first firmware release for the XR500. Fraser I believe explained they are normal. Dos attack’s happen all the time  that’s just the firewall showing it’s doing its job blocking port  scans et cetera. A ping sweep is new I don't have that in my logs but it could be based on your Voip phones I guess. A ping sweep occurs when a ICMP echo request is sent. These are sent to multiple addresses. Then If a target replies, the reply would reveals the target's ip to whoever ever is attacking. The log is showing your router doing it's job and not letting that happen. :)

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, rckrz6 said:

why was 60ghz added on the dashboard if the router doesn't support it, i know the xr700 will but its kinda silly for the xr500

GUI Glitch probably. There have been some subtle changes so possibly it just needs to be removed from the XR500 as it may have been there for the XR700 GUI when DumaOS was developing the new GUI for that router and it was overlooked, who knows. Just hope the code for a non existent radio isn't in hidden Netgears firmware  ;)