Think of it like this you are not getting anything else new from the DumaOS side. The only differences will be from the Netgear side.  To simplify it a little basically it is the X-10 (R9000) with Duma OS running only it.  So unless you need the more powerful router at a premium price. You are not getting anything else new.  So weigh the pros vs cons and decide from there.  I hope i did not miss anything.

I was also a little shocked to see Netgear has already trumped the XR500 with a new model.  Having said that, since the  XR500 will continue to be supported on the software side as I'm reading here I'm still feeling very good about my XR500 purchase.  The DumaOS is 100% of the reason I purchased the XR500.  I don't need any of the extra features the XR700 offers and it's going to be over twice what I paid for my XR500.

$500 is really getting up there for a router... even with the beefier specs and features...  I got my XR500 on sale at Microcenter for $220  :)

If you need a plex server the X700 is great, but game wise it cant make your gaming faster, games use so little bandwidth. Also 802ad is pretty dead in the water. The  X700 (R9000 without the gaming a makeover) is a big powerful router, but as pointed out it wont change the DumaOS feature set, also my XR500 pushes 4K Dolby Vision  via Netflix around along with Amazon Prime with ease over wifi or Ethernet, along all of my connected gear and of course DumaOS's great gaming features. The XR700 is for those that need 10G connections and a Plex server as I mentioned,  for most users it will be overkill, but for those really will use those features it will be a good buy, for 99% of gamers the XR500 is just fine.