Slow twitch streaming on PS4

Hi guys, 

I have a 20mb/20mb fibre connection and I'm trying to watch twitch on my PS4, but for some reason it keeps buffering and just doesn't seem to use the full network speed available. 

My prioritisation is just normal as I use it for gaming. 
Anti-Bufferbload is 90%/60% and set to detect high priority traffic. 

I tested streaming on my laptop, phone and through chromecast, everything works without buffering or significant frame dropping.

Could anyone please suggest a solution? 

• Administrators

Hi Ricky,

Welcome to the forum! Your setup sounds good, but let's check a few things:

1. How is the PS4 connected; wirelessly or wired?
  2. Have you applied any extra bandwidth to any device on Bandwidth Allocation?
  3. Has share excess been disabled in Bandwidth Allocation (open the options on the Bandwidth Allocation panel)?
  4. Are there any other devices using a lot of bandwidth at the same time?

Let us know the answer to these questions. Could you then also do this please:

1. Allocate 100% of your download bandwidth to your PS4. Assuming Share Excess is enabled, it will only use this bandwidth when it's needed
  2. If Twitch still buffers, go on your Network Monitor and see how much bandwidth your PS4 is using, as well as if anything else is using a lot of bandwidth.

Thanks. 

Hi

The PS4 is connected wirelessly using the 5Ghz network. (More on this below)
I set my smart TV to use 15% and my PS4 to use 20% of the bandwidth allocation with all other devices equal. 
Excess Bandwidth Allocation sharing is enabled. 
No other devices were using a lot of bandwidth while trying to stream on the PS4. As mentioned, my laptop and mobile could stream without issues. 

I have a concern about the connection strength (and speed) on the 5Ghz network. I'm only getting 90% connection strength, where on my cheap old 2.4Ghz router is would get 100% strength. (Both devices are the in same locations as before.)
Is there a way to confirm the beamforming is working as expected?
I truly expected the 5Ghz with beamforming to outperform the old 2.4Ghz router I had. 

I'll try the two suggestions and report back ASAP. 

• Administrators

Hi Ricky - 5GHz is better for speeds, but actually 2.4GHz is better for range. So you'll normally get a better signal on 2.4Ghz, but the speeds are usually limited to about 60mbps. I think given you have 20mbps you should try switching to 2.4GHz and see if that improves things (as well as giving more bandwidth to the PS4).

8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you then also do this please:

1. Allocate 100% of your download bandwidth to your PS4. Assuming Share Excess is enabled, it will only use this bandwidth when it's needed
  2. If Twitch still buffers, go on your Network Monitor and see how much bandwidth your PS4 is using, as well as if anything else is using a lot of bandwidth.

Please take a look at the attached images. In both cases, excess sharing is enabled.

The image named 'overview' was watching Twitch on the PS4 Pro with 100% bandwidth allocation, and nothing else using bandwidth. The Network overview shows this saw tooth profile with the download constantly dropping, mostly close to 0, causing it to buffer. 

The image named 'chromecast' was watching Twitch on my Chromecast with 5% bandwidth allocation (PS4 set to 20%, with all other connected devices equal at 5%) connection still going up and down, but stays high enough not to buffer.

chromecast.png

overview.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ricky said:

Please take a look at the attached images. In both cases, excess sharing is enabled.

The image named 'overview' was watching Twitch on the PS4 Pro with 100% bandwidth allocation, and nothing else using bandwidth. The Network overview shows this saw tooth profile with the download constantly dropping, mostly close to 0, causing it to buffer. 

The image named 'chromecast' was watching Twitch on my Chromecast with 5% bandwidth allocation (PS4 set to 20%, with all other connected devices equal at 5%) connection still going up and down, but stays high enough not to buffer.

chromecast.png

overview.png

That’s actually very normal behaviour. It’s called the ‘sawtooth’ affect and happens on most downloads. 

More info here if you’re interested:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/figure/A-typical-TCP-sawtooth-behaviour_fig1_313851520/amp

• Administrators

Would you be able to manually move the PS4 nearer your router and wire in using an Ethernet cable and then repeat the test? That will determine once and for all if the issue is with wireless or if there is a wider bandwidth problem