Anyone with TalkTalk? Setup help for R1

Hi all, 

I just cancelled my contract with BT and I've moved to TalkTalk, with my service due to be activated on the 18th. I did some Googling to see how my current modems/routers would work with it, and it seems like I can use the same equipment if I want to. That led me on to looking for settings in case I want to use a modem that isn't from TalkTalk. 

How would I go about setting it up behind the R1? I've read conflicting reports that TalkTalk fibre uses PPPoA and IPoE, which I'm unfamiliar with. There's also mention of not needing a sign in username or password because of dynamic something or other. Which is true here? I've also read that because it's not PPPoE the MTU is 1500, not 1492. It'd be great to know what the VPI or VCI should be if I need to enter it too. 

Also if the connection doesn't use PPPoE, what do I do with the R1? Leave PPPoE off on that side? Turn it on and leave the fields blank? It doesn't seem like bridge mode is a thing on their default combo, so I don't want to plug in and see double NAT etc. 

Thanks for any advice you can provide. 

Plug in your modem and plug in your Netduma, the end.

Its that simple, make sure you have taken out any PPPoE settings you may have in your devices first and reboot them.

I just bought a HG612 and turned it on no authentication needed.

2 minutes ago, Zennon said:

Plug in your modem and plug in your Netduma, the end.

Its that simple, make sure you have taken out any PPPoE settings you may have in your devices first and reboot them.

I just bought a HG612 and turned it on no authentication needed.

The HG612 I bought off eBay was freshly unlocked and updated but didn't work with my BT connection until I found some settings online. My TP Link has an "auto" setup feature that allows you to choose an ISP and connection type but it still requires me to manually enter the VPI or whatever it's called. Any idea what these should be? I'll probably be using the TP Link as it's easier to use and more flexible, while the HG612 is a faff to get the GUI up for. 

Using the WiFi Hub with the R1 must just be like using the Smart Hub then - no bridge mode, so just DMZ and turn PPPoE off, which is fine. Shouldn't be needing that but it's there for backup. 

Factory resetting the modems would be a good idea if you are going to try both.

Just leave it as auto if you have any issue with it not connecting plug the TT router into your computer and have a look at its GUI for the settings but auto should work fine.