Xbox not geo filtering

Hello,

I just installed the Nighthawk XR500 router in my home. I have an ISP modem (sky sr102) and nothing except the xr500 is connected to it. All devices in house connect to xr500. 

My Xbox one X is connected via cable to xr500 and NAT is open as I set my xr500 as a DMZ server in my ISP router and XBOX has static IP.

My group filter is not working and the screen shows no hosts on the map when I'm playing games like Destiny or GTA.

XBOX device is listed as XBOX in devices. Geo filtering is set to spectate, profile is set to Destiny and yet I don't see any remote hosts or ping detials. The screen just remain blank. I am using Chrome browser also on a Mac so no issues with browser.

I have the latest firmware as the router installed it automatically yesterday.

Please can you help with the configuration of geo filtering and let me know why it isn't working?

• Administrators

Hi Immy - welcome to the forum. First of all, thank you for providing such a clear description of your setup. We should use this as a model for how to ask for support!

Anyway - I suspect the issue is that the device added at the top is not actually the online Xbox. This can happen if the Xbox has been connected to the router both wired and wirelessly. The device will appear twice (as wired / wireless have different MAC addresses). Could you check this by turning on your Xbox, then going to the Device Manager. See if there is an offline device on your Device Manager and if there is, delete it. Then go back to the Geo-Filter and re-add your Xbox.

If that's not the problem, then can I just double check when you are looking at the Geo-Filter. It should show connections when you are actually searching for a game, as well as when the online game has begun. It won't show you hosts when you are just sat in the lobby.

Finally, if you are playing Destiny I would recommend Filtering Mode as this will force local connections.

Hello,

Thanks for the speedy response. I tried to be as detailed as possible so glad I was close :)

My XBOX is only connected with wired connection and never configured with wireless setup. It does not appear offline (see screenshot below)

xb-netgear.thumb.png.af249411426d827f7d06e0c0734591b4.png

The hosts not appearing is while game play with other people (6-12 players). Some of them I even know to live in Florida (I'm in UK) so they definitely should not connect as my filtering range is limited to Europe.

I don't see any offline device as xbox, I even checked all connected devices and compared the MAC addresses to check if these are from my XBOX but no clashes there also. 

Changing to filtering mode makes no difference and host list is empty during active gameplay. 

Let me know what else I can try.

Thanks

click spectator mode for your xbox while it is turned off>>>>>start xbox>>>>>>start game (cod for example)>>>>>go to multiplayer menue>>>>>hardcore (example) and then enable geo filter then click the game you want to join. After gaming session put xbox back in spectator mode then all you have to do next time is enable it before you click on your game mode!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

click spectator mode for your xbox while it is turned off>>>>>start xbox>>>>>>start game (cod for example)>>>>>go to multiplayer menue>>>>>hardcore (example) and then enable geo filter then click the game you want to join. After gaming session put xbox back in spectator mode then all you have to do next time is enable it before you click on your game mode!

Could you try this great advice please! 

Thanks  @BIG__DOG  @Netduma Admin for the suggestion. I tried it but it did not make any difference. I even tried taking the XBOX off the network, deleting it from device list and restarting the XBOX. After this I added the XBOX in geo filtering again and tried your steps again just to be sure it's a clean config. No difference and I still can't see anything in the geo filtering list during active game play also. I am trying Destiny 2 now as it's hybrid during matchmaking but once a session/match starts its p2p. Let me know if there' s something else I can try.