Optimal Settings - South Africa

Hi All,

In South Africa we generally connect to the EU servers which are far away. Pings typically range from 150ms to 200ms. I have a 100/25 fiber connection and game exclusively on PC. The XR500 detected my speeds correctly and is performing flawlessly.

Are there any settings that I can/must change in especially the QoS tab to improve my gaming experience since I live so far away from the servers? I currently have the Anti-Bufferbloat enabled for when high priority traffic is detected (70/70 sliders) and have left the Geo-Filter untouched as I'm unsure whether it will make any difference seeing that I always connect to EU servers in any case.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Netduma Staff

Hi All,

In South Africa we generally connect to the EU servers which are far away. Pings typically range from 150ms to 200ms. I have a 100/25 fiber connection and game exclusively on PC. The XR500 detected my speeds correctly and is performing flawlessly.

Are there any settings that I can/must change in especially the QoS tab to improve my gaming experience since I live so far away from the servers? I currently have the Anti-Bufferbloat enabled for when high priority traffic is detected (70/70 sliders) and have left the Geo-Filter untouched as I'm unsure whether it will make any difference seeing that I always connect to EU servers in any case.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

This is the trickiest issue for us to solve. The Geo-Filter gives you full control, whereas without it you would be at the mercy of the game net-code. However, it's what you have control over which is the issue - if the game does not support your country sufficiently, there will be very little the Geo-Filter can do.

You can still use the Geo-Filter to get the best connection possible for SA though. Use Spectating Mode, and if you get connected to particularly bad / far away servers you can always Deny them (by clicking on them on the map and clicking 'Deny' on the Ping panel.) This way you can get the best connections available to you, even if they are all the way in Europe.

Your QoS settings seem great - make sure 'DumaOS Classified Games' is ticked in Traffic Prioritisation and maybe give your console a little more bandwidth using Bandwidth Allocation. Lag caused by local devices will be massively reduced with those settings.

And finally, generally speaking your ping stability matters more than how high / low your ping is. Try running a PingPlotter test on a wired PC to test your line quality. There may be some improvements you can make there to get that ping under control! I hope this helps.

Hi All,

Hey WeesWolf

I have been using Netduma for the past 3 years and really only works best for Local Servers in SA. I play COD and BF1 with local servers and you can feel the difference in connection

With regards to OverWatch or Fortnite EU Servers, the only thing you can really do is eliminate the congestion / traffic on your line.

The settings that you are running are currently the best settings. 

Shout if you need help

• Netduma Staff

Hey WeesWolf

I have been using Netduma for the past 3 years and really only works best for Local Servers in SA. I play COD and BF1 with local servers and you can feel the difference in connection

With regards to OverWatch or Fortnite EU Servers, the only thing you can really do is eliminate the congestion / traffic on your line.

The settings that you are running are currently the best settings. 

Shout if you need help

Do you get servers in SA every time Slingshot? Do you get disconnected a lot / how is your experience? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Do you get servers in SA every time Slingshot? Do you get disconnected a lot / how is your experience? :)

Since we only have one server for games like COD and BF1. It does become problematic or congested but i block them and play P2P and then gameplay is crisp. No disconnections. Our only problem in SA is that we do not have lots of servers for the bigger games like Overwatch or Fortnite. We will always connect to EU servers

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SlingshotGamer said:

Since we only have one server for games like COD and BF1. It does become problematic or congested but i block them and play P2P and then gameplay is crisp. No disconnections. Our only problem in SA is that we do not have lots of servers for the bigger games like Overwatch or Fortnite. We will always connect to EU servers

Thanks for th detail SlingShot. The lag must be crazy on those EU servers! Unfortunately that’s all at the game developer behest 🙁

On 8/31/2018 at 10:49 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for th detail SlingShot. The lag must be crazy on those EU servers! Unfortunately that’s all at the game developer behest 🙁

Yeah if you have a Fibre connection then ping is AVG 150ms - 165ms but if you have ADSL or LTE then you looking at 190ms - 250ms, obviously ping is king for games but when i play locally i get around 12ms - 30ms on local connection and they are really good