Anti-Bufferbloat not working

No matter what settings I try I can't seem to get anti-bufferloat working on the Xr-500. I am playing Destiny 2 on PC and whenever the whole family is using the internet my ping turns to crap(which is all the bloody time).

I have added my PC in the Traffic priority section under QOS and I can see the high priority traffic light come on when I am using my PC for gaming.

I am in Australia and have a terrible internet connection, 6.7Mbps Down and 0.99Mbps up.I have both download and upload set @ 70% but I continually see devices consuming more bandwidth than they should. At this point in time the router is pretty much useless for gaming.

Is my internet connection to slow for this router to give me a consistent ping when gaming? What am I doing wrong?

I have read the anti-bufferbloat guide numerous times and believe I have set everything up correctly.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Are ALL devices connected behind the XR500? If not it doesn't matter if QoS is correctly setup as it won't be able to control all devices and you'll still experience local congestion.

Anti-Bufferbloat on it's own should be enough to eliminate congestion which may be why the above is the cause. 

Set Bandwidth Allocation for devices and then untick share excess for both download/upload, that way they can't consume more than what you've given them.

I have a small connection like yours Fraser is right the only way i found is to untick share excess.

Strange thing when you set a device to 0 in bandwidth allocation it continue to access internet. I think it's a bug.

It would be nice to have the option to untick share excess per device in future releases.

• Administrators

I have a small connection like yours Fraser is right the only way i found is to untick share excess.

Strange thing when you set a device to 0 in bandwidth allocation it continue to access internet. I think it's a bug.

It would be nice to have the option to untick share excess per device in future releases.

It correctly blocks internet when set to 0 for me, check share excess is definitely disabled and click on the device list for it and double check its set to 0 and not a very low number

Yeah it blocks too I was referring when share excess was ticked sorry.

It's acting weird. For exemple with share excess if bufferbloat is set to 70% it's working but let's say when a device is downloading and is taking all the 70% left some high ping (in geo filter host ping) and possibly lag occurs. Even if the console is prioritize or not

• Administrators

Yeah it blocks too I was referring when share excess was ticked sorry.

It's acting weird. For exemple with share excess if bufferbloat is set to 70% it's working but let's say when a device is downloading and is taking all the 70% left some high ping (in geo filter host ping) and possibly lag occurs. Even if the console is prioritize or not

Can you post up your QoS Settings please, that shouldn't be happenng, also whats your physical setup?

• Administrators

Your settings look good. To make sure it’s working, I recommend you switch to Always mode in Anti-Bufferbloat for now.

Also make sure that the total bandwidth speeds you put into Anti-Bufferbloat are definitely a good estimate of your total expected speeds. Change them in the options for Anti-Bufferbloat if not.

See if this improves things and let us know if not.

• Administrators

It could be the server you are playing on then. Which game(s) are you playing? How farh is the server usually from your home? And what pings are you getting?

Also - you don’t have IPv6 enabled by any chance? Please disable if you do. Thanks. 

I play on wwii the server is less than 500km at 20ms ipv6 disabled.

It can't be the server because when i stop the download on the other devices the ping in geo-filter come back to normal

• Administrators

Ok, thanks for the extra info. 

Could you try this please:

1. Disable QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat options (click Proceed at the warning message). Then run a Pingplotter test on your line when there are no devices using bandwidth. Take a screenshot and save the image. This will allow us to see how stable your line is
  2. Then start using your Internet normally again, when devices are using your bandwidth. Again run a Pingplotter test and take a screenshot & save the image
  3. Finally, re-enable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options and again run a Pingplotter test and save an image
  4. Upload all three test results here. We can then see if you are getting spikes when QoS is enabled

Here's a guide on how to do a Pingplotter test: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

1-qos disabled devices connected but not really using internet

2-qos disabled using Internet (downloading/youtube)

3-qos enable using Internet (downloading/youtube)

post-30987-0-75175900-1534589712_thumb.jpeg

post-30987-0-67350500-1534589716_thumb.jpeg

post-30987-0-55728000-1534589720_thumb.jpeg

• Administrators

Thanks. Great information.

It looks like Anti-Bufferbloat is working as 3 is much better than 2, but you still have a few spikes. I recommend you make the Anti-Bufferbloat more intense, I suggest trying 50%. This should hopefully solve your problems.

• Administrators

Is your upload that slow? With share excess off that will definitely impact devices.

I'd recommend setting Bandwidth Allocation back to default with share excess on and using Anti-Bufferbloat at 70%. It will then share bandwidth optimally and should prevent any issues online.

Yes 0,9mb on upload. With share excess disabled it definitely slow down other devices but the game play is much better. I will try to reset the settings.

I find that you could disable share excess on download and upload but when I disable only the upload it seems to impact the download too. Is that normal ?

It helped the game play is better but there is always high ping in geo filter.

I noticed a strange thing on PS4 when i close up all games the red dot for high priority traffic stay on. I have QOS set for when traffic is detected