QOS and speed issues

hello People,

so i have come across something interesting.

i believe there is some sort of bug with qossoftware. I have everything set to equal across all devices in qos but i notice speed range from 120-40 but when i disable qos i get speeds 150-175 . When i enable qos i get speeds for 150-170 for like 5 mins or so then it goes back down 120-140 but if i click reset distribution button i get 150-175 mpbs.

all test were conducted wifi using speedtest.net and the device was an iphone 8. 

I was wondering if anyone has experience this issue?

Also i prefer not to disable qos as this is why i went with the router due to the unique and claims of excellent qos software.

Also i am open to suggestion.

here is my setup

isp: comcast
modem: netgear cm-1000
router: netgear xr500

qos setting attached

any help much appreciated 

post-31206-0-27177400-1533868105_thumb.png

post-31206-0-47088600-1533868121_thumb.png

post-31206-0-29284000-1533868134_thumb.png

Sorry, but why are you doing speed tests over wireless? It is not a consistent method to say the least but doing it with a phone is just as bad. You would be better doing the test wired via a PC or laptop to get a more accurate result. 

Guest Killhippie

hello People,

so i have come across something interesting.

i believe there is some sort of bug with qossoftware. I have everything set to equal across all devices in qos but i notice speed range from 120-40 but when i disable qos i get speeds 150-175 . When i enable qos i get speeds for 150-170 for like 5 mins or so then it goes back down 120-140 but if i click reset distribution button i get 150-175 mpbs.

all test were conducted wifi using speedtest.net and the device was an iphone 8. 

I was wondering if anyone has experience this issue?

Also i prefer not to disable qos as this is why i went with the router due to the unique and claims of excellent qos software.

Also i am open to suggestion.

here is my setup

isp: comcast

modem: netgear cm-1000

router: netgear xr500

qos setting attached

any help much appreciated 

As BIG __DOG said you need to do your speedtest via a wired device for true results, also have you got the router set up to use smart connect? Or do you have separate SSID's for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz? I would suggest splitting them so you know what frequency each device is on. Also when you updated your firmware did you do a factory reset? I know its a pain but it can iron out issues like this, its worth a try. Also when you are doing speed tests is the High Priority traffic light coming on? You do realise that QoS is not working without bufferbloat set to always. It will only engage when the router sees gaming traffic with the settings you have at this moment. My line runs at 55.8Mbps down and 16.7Mbps up and with the same settings (high priority traffic detected) over wireless on my iPad I get 55.4Mbps and 16.4Mbps within ten foot over 5Ghz in line of sight, it drops to 54Mbps when I'm 20ft away and not in line of sight with two walls in the way.

I would suggest firstly doing a wired speed test. Then setting the router up again after doing a factory reset, since the router would have updated firmware when you set it up I imagine. Its worth doing just to make sure there are no gremlins from the update and as I said it can cure a lot of glitches.

i understand wireless is not a reliable but i have been doing this tests in similar fashions and i consistently get the speed tests i mentioned.

As for running these tests i do not see the red light for high traffic prioritization.

As for qos not working cause i dont have anti bufferbloat set to always i am not convinced that is true because when changing bandwidth distribution i noticed the numbers would on speed test would change.

I have updated the firmware and have not done a factory reset i will do that to see if it helps and perfom wired speed tests. Let you all know the outcome

Guest Killhippie

i understand wireless is not a reliable but i have been doing this tests in similar fashions and i consistently get the speed tests i mentioned.

As for running these tests i do not see the red light for high traffic prioritization.

As for qos not working cause i dont have anti bufferbloat set to always i am not convinced that is true because when changing bandwidth distribution i noticed the numbers would on speed test would change.

I have updated the firmware and have not done a factory reset i will do that to see if it helps and perfom wired speed tests. Let you all know the outcom

QoS only works all the time when set to "Always" when 'High priority traffic is detected" it kicks in when you start gaming. I have mine set to "when high priority traffic is detected" so when I game my internet speeds drop to 70% of 55Mbps (I have my antibufferbloat set to different percentages but using 70% for simplicity here) so because its set to detect high priority  traffic with the sliders at 70% I get 70% of my bandwidth which is 38Mbps. I can test this on my iMac and that's what it gets, if I adjust the QoS when gaming then it will change, so if I move the petal slider for my iMac to 25% then it will get more bandwidth (be aware you have to do this for both download and upload separately) if QoS was working all the time in "high priority traffic" mode you would be seeing the percentages in QoS all the time that are linked to the antibufferbloat settings, which for you is 70% of your total bandwidth. Have a look at this video its a great explanation of QoS and antibufferbloat. I've set it to start at the part about antibufferbloat and QoS. https://youtu.be/KQiwtXoNqsA?t=37m40s

You did not answer about setting up with smart connect enabled or disabled? During the set up sequence you can split the bands to 2.4 and 5Ghz separately and have different SSID's for each band so you know what devices are using what. Also no matter what Wifi is not a good way to check speeds, and an ISP will always ask for a hardwired test if you are having issues for a reason... Let us know how you get on.

sorry im using smart connect where both bands are the same ssid. i understand wireless is not stable method for speed tests but i find difficult for it to be coincidental when i modify those changes the speed increases but when i enabled them after a few mins the speeds are slower. since i should reset my router anyone know of a good resource to optimize my router settings ?

Wifi speeds will always be inconsistent. Here's your best options:

1. Factory reset your router. Hold reset pin on back of router for 15-30 seconds while power is still on.

2. Separate your 2.4 & 5 ghz SSID'S on startup menu. (i.e. rammo2.4 & rammo5G)

-Or-

3.Invest in an ethernet cable (preferably a 6' to 25' Cat6e)

• Administrators

sorry im using smart connect where both bands are the same ssid. i understand wireless is not stable method for speed tests but i find difficult for it to be coincidental when i modify those changes the speed increases but when i enabled them after a few mins the speeds are slower. since i should reset my router anyone know of a good resource to optimize my router settings ?

Hi Rammo - we have optimal settings guides here for each main section: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/16000056291

Hi Rammo - we have optimal settings guides here for each main section: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/16000056291

thank you for the link.

An update, after factory resting a few days ago things seems to be improved regarding speed test they seem to be more consist with wireless and wired. the speeds are 150-170 wireless (5 ghz)

speed are 160-170 wired

speed are 100-120 wireless (2.4 ghz)

ill keep testing and provide more updates later on.

my setting are set for optimal qos with bandwidth for ps4 set to 30%