WRT32XB Lower ping and bufferbloat vs XR500

Now this isn't a post intended to troll, but I am reaching out in genuine support.

I purchased both the XR500 and WRT32XB for use with my Xbox One X. I prefer the XR500 because I can set a geo-filter and I can also see my ping to the dedicated server I am gaming on. But when I run bufferbloat tests it is usually a B and sometimes an A on bufferbloat. My ping to xbox servers is typically 78-83 ms.

When I use the WRT32XB designed for Xbox one with Killer Engine I get an A or A+ bufferbloat rating, and my ping to xbox servers is 60-63ms. Which is 20-25% faster.

Now I have done everything right, prioritizing my xbox, using the congestion control sliders. And enabling anti-bufferbloat.

Am I doing something wrong on the XR500 to get a ping thats as much as 23ms higher than the other router. That is pretty significant.

Thanks

• Administrators

The ping you're referring to is just a ping to the Xbox Live server, it has absolutely no bearing on your in game ping. So I would not use that as a measure of your connection quality. The most likely reason it is higher is the Geo-Filter blocking one of the servers. 

The DSLReports test isn't very useful as bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated. I would follow this guide to determine how well QoS is performing http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

The ping you're referring to is just a ping to the Xbox Live server, it has absolutely no bearing on your in game ping. So I would not use that as a measure of your connection quality. The most likely reason it is higher is the Geo-Filter blocking one of the servers. 

The DSLReports test isn't very useful as bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated. I would follow this guide to determine how well QoS is performing http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

I was only using the Geo filter on COD games.. I like to play Battlefield which gives the ability to pick my server.. So that is why I am still perplexed a bit.

• Administrators

If the Geo-Filter is enabled when console is booted up that could be it. Also prioritizing the console won't prioritize the port necessary for that ping as thats not what the game uses so that may be why also

If the Geo-Filter is enabled when console is booted up that could be it. Also prioritizing the console won't prioritize the port necessary for that ping as thats not what the game uses so that may be why also

So I am guessing the other router prioritizes those ports automatically since its specifically for Xbox. So if I do port forwarding that will likely lower my ping to the WRT32XB?

• Administrators

So I am guessing the other router prioritizes those ports automatically since its specifically for Xbox. So if I do port forwarding that will likely lower my ping to the WRT32XB?

I would imagine it prioritizes every port on the Xbox which would be a mistake when a game download happens as that could cause lag for other devices. Not port forwarding, if you have an open NAT no problem there. If you did Traffic Prioritization for the ports used to determine that ping then yes it should lower but as I say it has no bearing on your game ping and lowering that ping will do nothing for your online experience.

The killer engine is for PC's that support the killer architecture, it is not supported by consoles at all and does not support them and has no benefit what-so-ever for console gaming and only certain pc's that support the killer engine ( graphics cards). It is a 3200acm with a revamped firmware (i have 1 i know), but it is a good router when flashed with lede.