Loads of Help

Hi guys thank you for the add, now on to the serious stuff, I’m new to the netduma routers and treated myself to the XR500 but need to know what best set up is for my PS4 playing the likes of COD, fort nite and Rocket League. I have noticed the ping is higher on this router so what I’m I doing wrong guys, I have followed a few videos and tutorials on lowering anti buffering and adding the devices etc etc but my ping is staying in the high 35-40 not like the low 25-30 like on my old router. Please help guys TIA Dave

Sorry when you say physical setup do you mean devices, if so I have super hub 3 from virgin as a modem and the netgear XR500 as the router with two PS4s hard wired. I am on 350mb broadband. I will add photos tomorrow as iPad won’t let me add them to big

• Administrators

Yes thats the information I needed thank you. So your Virgin hub is in modem mode correct so it's WiFi is completely disabled and all devices connected to the XR500 either wirelessly or wired? Great thanks!

Yes virfin hub been in modem mode for years now wont use it as a wifi hub prefer my own, i had a netgear R6300v2 then the XR500 recently.  the R6300 was great and pings seemed low on games but now they are quite high with the new XR500, here is the pics you asked for to

post-31179-0-18902300-1533817419_thumb.jpg

post-31179-0-31897500-1533817425_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Where are you measuring the ping? In game? 

You have the Geo-Filter devices added but you haven't reduced the radius so you're allowing games from all over the world. Use the profiles button on the map and select the game you're playing, that will adjust the Geo-Filter to our recommended settings for the game

Yes in game Ping but rocket league used to be around 25-30 now its higher, How do i select profiles mate on geo filter sorry all new to me sorry my son says he has to have it high for Fortnite as its world wide but rocket league isnt on you list lol and they use regional servers in game so they say lol

• Administrators

Yes in game Ping but rocket league used to be around 25-30 now its higher, How do i select profiles mate on geo filter sorry all new to me sorry my son says he has to have it high for Fortnite as its world wide but rocket league isnt on you list lol and they use regional servers in game so they say lol

The most likely cause if you're seeing a ping increase after plugging in the router could be to do with the ISP adjusting. If you change the MAC address of the XR500 to be the same as the previous router that could solve it. Also changing the DNS may help. 

In Fornite you select the region in game which is the same as Rocket League I believe so instead of using a profile change the radius to encompass Europe.

The most likely cause if you're seeing a ping increase after plugging in the router could be to do with the ISP adjusting. If you change the MAC address of the XR500 to be the same as the previous router that could solve it. Also changing the DNS may help.

In Fornite you select the region in game which is the same as Rocket League I believe so instead of using a profile change the radius to encompass Europe.

Instead of having people change the MAC address to the old router, why not just have people factory reset the modem? Wouldn't this solve the issue or is the expected router MAC address stored by the ISP connection? I figured it would be something saved on the modem NVRam and wiping would fix.

Ok so how do i change roter MAC address to old router guys and what would a reset benefit rather than change MAC address

Try performing a factory reset on your modem first. If there is a small hole with the word "reset" on it. While it is powered on, press hold the reset button until the modem lights begin flashing. Usually 10-15 seconds. This will clear the stored NVRam and hopefully reset the default router MAC address. If that doesn't work, within the settings menu of the XR500, you can change the MAC address to your old router found on the bottom of the router.

also yopu said change radius to encompass Europe, sorry what do you mean sorry if dumb this is all new to me compaered to my old router lol

The Geo-filter slider increases and decreases the radius. You can also input a numbered distance to the right of the slider.

Ok guys been messing for a few days and still see no improvement in ping from my original router,  still getting between 35-40 on games when i was getting between 25-35 on my old router.  Not sure what else i can do as i have tried all suggestions appart from a reset and entering my old mac address but as this router is only a week old not sure a factory reset is needed, any more help please.

Ok guys been messing for a few days and still see no improvement in ping from my original router, still getting between 35-40 on games when i was getting between 25-35 on my old router. Not sure what else i can do as i have tried all suggestions appart from a reset and entering my old mac address but as this router is only a week old not sure a factory reset is needed, any more help please.

We already explained why. Factory reset has nothing to do with the age of the router. If the modem is expecting to see the Mac address from your old router, then that can cause issues. Please factory reset your modem.