If a device is blocked, why can't I remove it?

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me. If I have blocked a device it should no longer be connected to my router. Therefore, I should be able to delete and remove it entirely but I keep getting the warning saying that the device is still online.

I'm also noticing that LAN Setup does not have all my devices available on the list. There are also ones that shouldn't be there anymore because I have renamed them something entirely different, yet old names seem to remain. For example I renamed a device under device manager but it doesn't update under LAN Setup which is very confusing when you have multiple of the same device. 

• Administrators

It’s because the device is not actually blocked from your network, it’s just blocked from connecting to the internet. It’s designed this way in case you accidentally block your PC as you would then not be able to access the UI.

Would you like two different block types? We’re looking into different access control ideas so any ideas you have would be great.

If there is a device I do not recognise or want then yes, I want to block and straight have it gone. 

If I see something I don't want then let me block it, delete it and be done with it. The current state makes me feel like rogue devices have more control. 

Give users a passkey or something. Blocked PC? Enter the key and unblock yourself. 

EDIT: I just turned off wifi (which is connected to) and blocked it, deleted it. I turn wifi back on and it auto connected and was unblocked. How is that remotely safe? 

It’s because the device is not actually blocked from your network, it’s just blocked from connecting to the internet. It’s designed this way in case you accidentally block your PC as you would then not be able to access the UI.

Would you like two different block types? We’re looking into different access control ideas so any ideas you have would be great.

But if you PC is behind the Duma and the Internet is in front, how does blocking it not allow UI access. We access the UI before the net is connected on a fresh install.

I'm confused as always.

Anyways, yes options should be avail, if i want 1 of the kids devices off my home network so he cant sit up all night watching movies off a h/drive, then i should be able to boot him off. He gets the idea when i reboot and his movie stops. I pray he doesn't learn to restart his device and gets reconnected.

• Administrators

But if you PC is behind the Duma and the Internet is in front, how does blocking it not allow UI access. We access the UI before the net is connected on a fresh install.

I'm confused as always.

Anyways, yes options should be avail, if i want 1 of the kids devices off my home network so he cant sit up all night watching movies off a h/drive, then i should be able to boot him off. He gets the idea when i reboot and his movie stops. I pray he doesn't learn to restart his device and gets reconnected.

Allows access to local IPs while blocking external IPs

Allows access to local IPs while blocking external IPs

All good it is what it is, but i had mentioned many moons ago early during R1 launch not being able to boot devices was a thing without a restart, yet here we are.

• Administrators

This is so technical that a layman can not deal with it :(

Do you mean blocking on the Device Manager or something else? We want DumaOS to be very user friendly so let us know if we can improve anything.

• 3 years later...

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I have a number of devices currently blocked and still have no idea who they are - why do I  need to be reminded that they are blocked on my private network when I don't want them on it anyway.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, JHConnors said:

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I have a number of devices currently blocked and still have no idea who they are - why do I  need to be reminded that they are blocked on my private network when I don't want them on it anyway.

Welcome to the forum!

They're most likely devices you have previously had connected or from a device you are still using where the device MAC address has changed (iOS devices will do this) or if you have switched between connecting a device between WiFi/ethernet. If you reboot the router, then wait 2 minutes, click the :menu on the Device Manager page and delete all offline devices.