Port triggering

I want to set port triggering for call of duty but i'm not sure how to do it correctly.

For exemple they say to open port 3074 TCP and UDP.

I have selected connection type: TCP/UDP but in service type there is only TCP or UDP

Do i need to create 2 separate rules the first for TCP and the second for UDP? Or i select either one or the other?

• Administrators

You should use port forwarding instead of triggering. However there should be no need to do anything if you have an open NAT. If you don't have an open NAT then easiest thing to do is put console in the DMZ

I just wanted to try i already use port forwarding. Why do you recommend port forwarding instead of triggering ?

• Administrators

Do you have an open NAT? If so then there is no need to try as it will not give you a better experience. It is easier for users to create issues with triggering. UPnP or DMZ is easiest.

You should use port forwarding instead of triggering. 

No.  

If you have more than one device that call for the same, or overlapping ranges of ports they require, then Port Forwarding will not be ideal.  Also, Port Triggering is considered more secure, as it will close the ports back up after a specific length of time.  

UPnP is ideal, as you said, but there are indeed cases where UPnP isn't always consistent.  It definitely didn't work properly with my PS3.  And with my Nintendo Switch, it's also not consistent.   I can run the Network Test and get an A.  Run it again and get an A.  Then run it again and get a D.  I was able to replicate this issue multiple times.  

But I'm not sure you guys at DumaOS have ever encountered this, seeing as the latest Nintendo console you have in Device Manager is Wii. 

In the case of the Switch, however, DMZ is indeed best, since Nintendo asks for WAYYYY too many ports to be open.   But in the case of PlayStation, Xbox, and Steam, it is great to have Port Triggering set up, as UPnP is not always consistent.

I mentioned that the Port Triggering feature is desperately incomplete and less than ideal a couple weeks ago.  Instead of saying "you don't need it" or "that's for Netgear to sort out", why not take time to familiarize yourselves with a feature that multiple customers have now asked for?  Why not advocate, on our behalf, to Netgear, and encourage them to enhance their Port Triggering interface?  

Fraser, you are absolutely awesome, and are very engaged with the community here.  NetDuma has built an OS that is really special, and awesome.  You should be proud of that.  Despite the flaws that the XR500 has (and there are a couple), I am very happy with it, and a large part of that is because of this wonderful OS. 

But it is really disheartening when we don't feel that our suggestions will be advocated for, directly to Netgear, on our behalf.  I realize that there are aspects that Netgear has control over.  But the reality is, this router has your brand on it.  You should be pointing out to Netgear when there is room for improvement.  And the Port Triggering, and the "ReadyShare", and the VPN.....   All of these interfaces are absolutely horrid, and things to be ashamed of.

Can we get a commitment from you, right here, right now, that you will at least bring these things to their attention?  That you will champion this router's entire package?   

• Administrators

We haven't encountered that issue and we do have a Switch - Switch device type is present in next firmware. Theres likely some conflicts if you're experiencing that e.g. using port forwarding/triggering/DMZ when using UPnP.

I've let the Head of the XR500 development team about your suggestion so depending on the work needed to implement it we may see this in the firmware after next but not had any indication of that just yet. VPN will be replaced with our hybrid solution soon enough. What are your concerns regarding readyshare? 

I want to set port triggering for call of duty but i'm not sure how to do it correctly.

For exemple they say to open port 3074 TCP and UDP.

I have selected connection type: TCP/UDP but in service type there is only TCP or UDP

Do i need to create 2 separate rules the first for TCP and the second for UDP? Or i select either one or the other?

what works for me (Pc)

port_triggering.jpg

traffic-priority-_Pc.jpg