Hyper Traffic

IS there anyone that doesnt use hyper traffic on their ps4/xbox? For some reason I think it lags me more then helps me...is it just me? haha I notice either on COD or fortnite it seems my bullets become sponges until I delete the hyper traffic off and it seems to play alot better. I was just curious if anyone else feels it? BTW i'm on PS4

• Netduma Staff

IS there anyone that doesnt use hyper traffic on their ps4/xbox? For some reason I think it lags me more then helps me...is it just me? haha I notice either on COD or fortnite it seems my bullets become sponges until I delete the hyper traffic off and it seems to play alot better. I was just curious if anyone else feels it? BTW i'm on PS4

Hm, are you sure this is the case? I'd recommend testing it thoroughly - stuff like this can easily be the placebo effect kicking in. Try testing your ping to the game when you're using it and without it, and maybe record gameplay of you using it and not using it. That'll at the very least prove to yourself that it's happening!

(The reason for those suggestions is that I've never seen Hyper Traffic cause lag in my two years of working here - it'd be a really weird issue).

Maybe it could be me..what I might do is put it on and leave it for days no matter what and make myself forget its own and still see if I pull good games. While playing on COD and other games Ive ran into players with duma and as we talk they all say they keep it on too...so I was like WELL!..haha..thanks for the feedback Jack.

• Administrators

Unless you have added a rule which is forcing high bandwidth traffic through the Hyper Traffic, there shouldn't really be any way that it would decrease performance.

If you have any stats / data you could share with us that would be great. For example, ping graphs before/after enabling Hyper Traffic and any rules you have set.

I have only added ps4 and sony network when I do it...I havent added another rule...and I havent really ever dug deep to run test  Also, I'm not saying im laggy as in my guy is rubber banding or anything...I'm just noticing my bullets dont feel like they register. So when I turn it off...after a game or two I notice I drop guys faster.

To support David824's comments....

Game play feels like you have added a small delay an example would be.....seeing someone run around an object too late to shoot him in the back so instead aim the other side, ADS and ready to go as soon as I see his laces. Result, I get dropped as he(she) came round the corner, saw me, ADS and got the drop.

Other examples include getting dropped whilst getting lots of hit markers.

I did the following test albeit inconclusive.

Wife running Netflix and web surfing (gotta love the multitasker!) Played a game BO3 first half without Hyper second half with. Ping plotter showed no discernible ping increase or decrease with hyperlane.

Perhaps a dumb question, doesn't game traffic run on UDP but the ping run on ICMP. I'm not aware how to monitor UDP in real time

• Netduma Staff

Hmm. Well this seems extremely unlikely - I don't doubt that you guys are experiencing something though, we try not to rule anything out.

I would highly recommend for either of you to record gameplay with and without Hyper Traffic enabled. Also ensure when you're enabling Hyper Traffic that you don't start messing in the 'Advanced' section found there - just add the basic service.

PingPlotter definitely won't register Hyper Traffic either way. Pay attention to your ping in-game while recording and if you can track it in any way I would do so. As I said, this is very likely to be placebo, but if you guys want to investigate then this is definitely the way.

If your ping in-game increases when you enable Hyper Traffic then the only way to correlate this is to run the test multiple times. If your ping doesn't increase then in reality there is absolutely no physical way your gameplay could get worse with it enabled - at least as far as I know.

I have a 7ms ping to Twitter and little effort required to get A+.

The short answer may well be something as simple as my connection doesn't need hyperlane so ticking it is adding a layer of processing not required.

BO3 has an in game ping but no idea what protocol that would be unless anyone knows

The short answer may well be something as simple as my connection doesn't need hyperlane so ticking it is adding a layer of processing not required.

BO3 has an in game ping but no idea what protocol that would be unless anyone knows

Jack I was just about to ask you but Dan just said it. Is there a small chance that if my connection with duma is at the best it can get maybe using hyper traffic isn't needed? I was always under the assumption hyperlane was mostly to help low bandwidth connections? Whoever I read it from could be wrong also.

Dan I too have also played with it in-game where I started off with it and just felt a tad behind and was breaking even and I ended up deleting it and taking it off and actually started doing better and getting my hits faster.

In all, I was more just curious about it. As Fraser said its about what works for us and I just don't use it and placebo or not I get great games..haha.

• Netduma Staff

Yeh I reckon you guys are correct - if your connection is ridiculously good then perhaps the extra process of prioritising traffic is actually hindering you. In almost all cases this shouldn't happen but I guess a 7ms ping isn't all cases!

haha I wished I had a 7 ping...but I do normal get between 20 to 25ms ping when I do twitter...which I guess in my area 20 to 25 isn't that bad. Anywas, thanks as always Jack for the feedback.

Same, 7ms in game but very rarely does the connection in game indicate it's anywhere near that lol. Game traffic is UDP so PingPlotter/geofilter/whatever pings are irrelevant if you have some weirdness going on with UDP somewhere between you and your ISP. In fact it's probably irrelevant anyway.

I wouldn't pay attention to the ping meter in BO3 as it includes processing delays and it's usually very inaccurate as it seems to be rounded to the nearest frame, ie 17ms, 34ms, 50ms etc.

Hey IIIRL.

In BO3, if I play on UK servers my ping will be 7ms on the R1 and usually 11ms in BO3 which as you say includes the server response time.

Since BO3 became free to download UK games went quite downhill so have moved to French and Polish servers. Higher ping but better game play (for me anyway).

Same, 7ms in game but very rarely does the connection in game indicate it's anywhere near that lol. Game traffic is UDP so PingPlotter/geofilter/whatever pings are irrelevant if you have some weirdness going on with UDP somewhere between you and your ISP. In fact it's probably irrelevant anyway.

I wouldn't pay attention to the ping meter in BO3 as it includes processing delays and it's usually very inaccurate as it seems to be rounded to the nearest frame, ie 17ms, 34ms, 50ms etc.

IIIRL....100% agree!...if I'm running really good its 17ms and no one can touch me. normally I'm 33ms...some days 50ms...however when playing and I start feeling like im behind and bullets aren't touching I have checked it and its like 67ms or 100ms....I back out....so though I agree its very inaccurate it still can help if your in a lobby that's trash and pinging high. IMO

Hey IIIRL.

In BO3, if I play on UK servers my ping will be 7ms on the R1 and usually 11ms in BO3 which as you say includes the server response time.

Since BO3 became free to download UK games went quite downhill so have moved to French and Polish servers. Higher ping but better game play (for me anyway).

The only server that gave me 100% good games in IW was the Polish server at 40ms but I could rarely even find TDM games on it; the same was true for the Danish and Russian servers :( I only played on the Polish server for a day but it was mint.

Surprised to hear it's 11ms on the BO3 ping reading as I only ever saw multiples of frames lol. Granted I was on Virgin Media back then but I always saw 16/17ms for the UK server etc. My minimum latency was more like 13ms then though.

IIIRL....100% agree!...if I'm running really good its 17ms and no one can touch me. normally I'm 33ms...some days 50ms...however when playing and I start feeling like im behind and bullets aren't touching I have checked it and its like 67ms or 100ms....I back out....so though I agree its very inaccurate it still can help if your in a lobby that's trash and pinging high. IMO

That was more the opposite of my experience in BO3 lol. Games on the UK servers were decent as long as the lobby wasn't made up of 75% Saudis, which was 90% of games. Guess I'm just that unlucky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apparently since the free to play update thing BO3 is now region locked, so I might try it out again. I haven't played it since before IW came out.

Did a quick in game ping check whilst on polish server. As IIIRL said ping started at 17 then 33 then 51 then 78 then 100 but then bedded down to numbers in-between frames.

I used to play UK only but since free to download UK far to hit and miss ( in the sense of find a good game and my screen said "hit" but computer says "miss". Sometimes France is a joy but can be quite the opposite (will check in game ping next time like david824 suggests)

Didn't know about the region locks though. I have noticed that to find games on BO3 it's best to boot up with the geo filter on where you want to play (opposite approach to WW2) .Also after one game in Poland I turned off the geo filter and the next games stayed in Poland. WW2 would pull you back to UK the first chance it could.