I just purchased my XR500 on Friday, July 6th. So far I really like it, for the most part. There are some issues and questions I have, and some requests/suggestions as well.
First of all, DumaOS is great. There are a lot of features I truly love so far, and a lot of opportunity for growth.
To give context to some of my questions, I want to mention that the router I had for the last seven years has been the E4200 Linksys.
1. Is there currently not an option to use my CyberGhost VPN at the router level? Not even with OpenVPN?
-see suggestion "A"
2. On my last router, I had my Nintendo Switch on a DMZ. Nintendo calls for a huge number of ports to be open. I don't want to open that many ports with Triggering or Forwarding, so I like it best behind a DMZ. On my last router, I could never get an "A" rating on the Nintendo Switch's connection test (I'm assuming this is NAT type) without doing DMZ. On this XR500, so far I have been able to get "A" without using DMZ. Could that be because UPnP is better on the XR500? Maybe UPnP has been updated recently on Switch?
So perhaps it may not be necessary for me to DMZ the Switch at all, but I would still like to know how to do it. The instructions within the guide I saw here on the site, and the question mark within DumaOS on my XR500 are not clear to me. I have already assigned the Switch a static IP.
3. How is someone supposed to know the "Triggering Port" for Port Triggering? Steam as an example, they just list a range of ports that need opened. https://support.stea...=8571-GLVN-8711
On my last router, there was a RANGE you could set to trigger, and a RANGE you could set to forward.
-see suggestion "B"
4. How does anti-bufferbloat work exactly? The guide doesn't make this clear. Like, what exactly do the sliders at the top do?
5. How does the router detect gaming-related traffic? How does it distinguish it from other traffic?
6. What's the difference between "Devices" under "Geo-Fliter", "Profiles" within the "Geo-Filter Map", and "Traffic Prioritization" within the "QoS" tab?
-see suggestion "D"
A. Add a highly customizable VPN setup. Allow us to use OpenVPN. Allow us to distinguish certain devices, and let them stay off the VPN. Allow us to customize specifically which traffic gets sent through the VPN, and which does not. Like, for example, I want all my traffic, except stuff like Netflix and Discord (because they don't play nice with VPN) to go through the VPN.
B. Please update your Port Triggering tab to allow for a range of triggering ports. This seems like a huge opportunity for improvement. There should be a "Triggered Range" and a "Forwarded Range". There's not always one trigger (please correct me if I am wrong).
C. Please add more device types in Device Manager. This is supposed to be a gaming router, and we still have only Wii as an option for Nintendo consoles? No Wii U or Switch? We need Switch at the very least. Also, please add Set Top Box. Or perhaps get specific, such as Shield TV or Fire TV, etc. You really can't have too many options here. The more the merrier.
D. The games list is severely lacking. Shouldn't you guys be adding all the latest games?