Netduma R1 High packet loss and random disconnects

every single day my netduma randomly gets high packet loss and or randomly disconnects the internet from all wired and wireless devices multiple times.

This only ever happens when i am connected to my R1 i have never had packet loss or internet disconnects while on my ISPs router (Virgin Media Super Hub 3) and i am connecting to it with the same ethernet cable as the R1 

I have tried factory resetting the R1 multiple times, 3 different ethernet cables, moving the router, changing which ethernet ports i am connected to on my ISP router and my R1, restarting both my R1 and my Super Hub 

The only way i can fix this when it happens is to unplug the R1 for a while then plug it back in and reboot the router from the dashboard multiple times until internet diagnostics finally says no packet loss. 

my internet diagnostics information:

Ping Jitter Spikes Packet Loss

Exceptional Good Exceptional Lost 13

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=58 time=9.949 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=58 time=14.865 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=58 time=9.778 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=5 ttl=58 time=9.895 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=7 ttl=58 time=10.921 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=10 ttl=58 time=18.501 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=16 ttl=58 time=12.402 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=19 ttl=58 time=10.314 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=20 ttl=58 time=11.793 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=21 ttl=58 time=11.579 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=22 ttl=58 time=10.870 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=24 ttl=58 time=11.420 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
25 packets transmitted, 12 packets received, 52% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 9.778/11.857/18.501 ms

Trace

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 1.626 ms * *
2 10.13.144.1 11.475 ms 25.568 ms *
3 62.252.71.85 10.372 ms 12.574 ms 11.887 ms
4 * * *
5 62.254.85.145 15.861 ms 14.575 ms 13.751 ms
6 212.250.14.6 16.928 ms * 18.595 ms
7 * * *
8 * 216.239.43.210 13.106 ms *
9 216.239.47.195 16.025 ms * *
10 8.8.8.8 12.588 ms * 13.550 ms

that is the correct method to have it in modem mode. That is the optimal setup for the R1 Not to mention if it is not correctly configured (both routers not just the R1) then you will get port conflicts which will also result in packet loss which maybe why it does not occur when using the superhub on it's own.........not to mention the massive issues with the superhub 3 intel puma 6 chipset causing lag spikes and packet loss when in normal router mode which is highly publicissd.    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/   also https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/7fjvvt/hundreds_of_millions_of_cable_modems_affected_by/

It may be the correct method but the wifi on the netduma is worse then the super hub 3 so not everyone can connect to it and if it worked fine for 2 months why would it just get bad like that it doesn't make sense that after a couple of months it just decides to give me packet loss because of it is in router mode. and the massive issues to do with the Puma 6 chip have never been a problem for me gaming on it for 8 months now the only time i have had issues with lag spikes/packet loss is with the netduma

That's pretty weird. I've never ever seen anything other than zero loss on the R1 diagnostic thing (and believe me, I've run a lot of them), even when I was on Virgin Media. It's weird because my Superhub 2 (and a replacement one) caused random packet loss and yet it'd never show up on the R1. I could ping the router on PingPlotter and see endless red and spikes over 100ms when it should ideally be under 1ms, even after trying brand new cables.

But yeah, modem mode is arguably better than keeping it in use as a router and using DMZ. Try that and a couple of new cables to see if it clears up. If it doesn't see if VM will send you a SH2 to rule out the SH3 as the cause because it might not be cooperating well with the R1.

Like i said i have tried 3 different cables and all of them get the same thing when plugged into my R1 but if i plug them into my xbox or pc i never lose packets or lag at all. And it isn't the super hub 3 because it hasn't been doing it the whole time which it would be it has started happening within the past couple of weeks and nothing has changed within the settings to make it start happening.

Fair enough it hasn't been happening the entire time, but that doesn't mean one of the SH ports hasn't become damaged or something. Same goes for the R1.

The chance of it being the R1 at fault is about the same as it being the SH or your cables at fault. Try different things step by step (modem mode, different cables AND different LAN ports) to see if any combination of things eliminates the issue, just in case you missed any possible combination. I'd also recommend running a PingPlotter test for a few hours while connected to the SH only, to rule out the possibility you're missing the same issues showing up on the SH before it hits the R1. If it worked perfectly for a few months then it seems unlikely to be the R1 alone unless you've made some kind of changes anywhere along the network chain, or accidentally caused damage to ports/cables.

If you've only had the R1 for a few months you'll be within warranty so at least you're covered there. Something could have changed with the SH3 so I'd definitely recommend trying to get ahold of a SH2 to be thorough. The only issues I ever had on VM were caused by them and their equipment.

it is possible that it is a falso posative reading due to google dns. The true way to see if you are getting packet loss is to install and run pingplotter which will give you a real-time 100& accurate status of your connection.

• Administrators

Could you also run two Pingplotter tests and post your results here - one when you are connected to the R1, the other when connected directly to the modem.

Guide here:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

• 1 month later...

I ended up unplugging it and didn't use it until 3 days ago for the BO4 beta and it seems to be the netduma is over heating because when the internet stops working i unplug it and plug it back in after a couple of minutes and it wont work but if i wait for it to cool down it works as soon as i plug it back in it is in a open area on top of a wooden box with nothing hot near it. Is there a way to tell if this is the reason? (my super hub 3 tells me if its too hot in the settings or a light comes on) also the high packet loss problem hasn't happened since i have been using it again.

• Netduma Staff

I ended up unplugging it and didn't use it until 3 days ago for the BO4 beta and it seems to be the netduma is over heating because when the internet stops working i unplug it and plug it back in after a couple of minutes and it wont work but if i wait for it to cool down it works as soon as i plug it back in it is in a open area on top of a wooden box with nothing hot near it. Is there a way to tell if this is the reason? (my super hub 3 tells me if its too hot in the settings or a light comes on) also the high packet loss problem hasn't happened since i have been using it again.

I'm glad the packet loss problem hasn't happened again. I don't reckon this will be a temperature issue - it's more likely a factor of time. You state that you waited for it to 'cool down' and then it worked, but it's more likely to be that it just worked after a short amount of time after reboot.

I'd still recommend running those pingplotter tests (one with the Modem and one without) to get to the root of the issue.