Internet disconnections, new firmware?

Hi, 

My XR500 is dropping my Internet connection about 5-6 times per day and it seems to be getting worse. Is this likely to be an XR500 or ISP issue? Only seemed to start happening after I upgraded to latest firmware. 

Cheers

• Administrators

Is this happening on wireless or just wired?

If both, is your whole internet dropping out or is it just the router? You can figure this out by connecting to your modem the next time it goes down.

It might be worth doing a factory reset but it’s bettee to figure out the cause first.

Guest Killhippie

Is this happening on wireless or just wired?

If both, is your whole internet dropping out or is it just the router? You can figure this out by connecting to your modem the next time it goes down.

It might be worth doing a factory reset but it’s bettee to figure out the cause first.

Is it worth posting a sticky with trouble shooting tips? Ive noticed many users seem to just reboot not reset. Also some think that resetting takes the firmware to as it was from the factory but that's not the case really as you keep the firmware you updated too.

Also  don't restore from an image on new firmware updates after a factory reset, as you may bring over low level compatibility issues when updating and restoring. Finally yes factory resetting and starting from scratch is the best way to sort out issues after all other avenues have been exhausted. This goes for all router manufacturers as well, not just Netgear. If users are not willing to try these steps it makes it hard to know what's really going on, as in is it firmware or hardware or just bad settings.

Also I think explaining that Antibufferbloat is meant to reduce your throughput may be an idea too and 70% is just a guide, as 70% of my 55Mbps down and 16Mbps up does not leave much left to divide between ten devices. So for myself since i get a A and B on Thinkbroadband speed test and A+ A= A+ on DSL reports without QoS on, so I leave it set to 'when high priority traffic is detected and then my Antibufferbloat settings are set to 87% down 80% up. Also how do people work out what their printer needs percent wise vs a wireless speaker, a smartphone, a smart TV and a non gaming computer? Its all guess work.  A rough guide to everyday devices would be useful I feel, so people have a starting point to play from.

Also maybe Antibufferbloat settings for a small range of line speeds starting with low Asymmetrical FTTC so maybe 40/10 going up to whatever is decided as a nominal ceiling for those connections. Then a few for the faster FTTP symmetrical connections like 300/300 and higher etc. Just a thought..

• Administrators

the router looses Internet connection as shown in the connection status so everything connected to the router looses connection. 

Could you do a full factory reset please and see if that solves your problem. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-XR500-Nighthawk-gaming-router

Is it worth posting a sticky with trouble shooting tips? Ive noticed many users seem to just reboot not reset. Also some think that resetting takes the firmware to as it was from the factory but that's not the case really as you keep the firmware you updated too.

Also  don't restore from an image on new firmware updates after a factory reset, as you may bring over low level compatibility issues when updating and restoring. Finally yes factory resetting and starting from scratch is the best way to sort out issues after all other avenues have been exhausted. This goes for all router manufacturers as well, not just Netgear. If users are not willing to try these steps it makes it hard to know what's really going on, as in is it firmware or hardware or just bad settings.

Also I think explaining that Antibufferbloat is meant to reduce your throughput may be an idea too and 70% is just a guide, as 70% of my 55Mbps down and 16Mbps up does not leave much left to divide between ten devices. So for myself since i get a A and B on Thinkbroadband speed test and A+ A= A+ on DSL reports without QoS on, so I leave it set to 'when high priority traffic is detected and then my Antibufferbloat settings are set to 87% down 80% up. Also how do people work out what their printer needs percent wise vs a wireless speaker, a smartphone, a smart TV and a non gaming computer? Its all guess work.  A rough guide to everyday devices would be useful I feel, so people have a starting point to play from.

Also maybe Antibufferbloat settings for a small range of line speeds starting with low Asymmetrical FTTC so maybe 40/10 going up to whatever is decided as a nominal ceiling for those connections. Then a few for the faster FTTP symmetrical connections like 300/300 and higher etc. Just a thought..

Great ideas. Thank you. Definitely a good idea to create a knowledge base article to troubleshoot these types of problems.