Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can't see Printer on Network (2.4 G)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Kazamario

Kazamario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 03:27 PM

Good Evening,

I have a Brother MFC-J6920DW and I can't for the life of me get the Nighthawk to see it. Is there a setting I'm missing? Can someone please give me a hand with getting this device visible on my network? 

Thanks,

Mario

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,853 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 PM

Does the printer have WPS? You can use that to sync up with the router

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Kazamario

Kazamario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Heya Fraser, 

Thx for the prompt reply, I apologize for not including more detail in my OP. I used WPS/AOSS and it connected without issue, and the printer prints off a Connection: OK page with the Network Name, HW Address, Comm Mode, Auth Type, Encryption, and Network Channel metrics. All those fields are filled in. The printer is powered on as well as the laptop, and both are connected to the 2.4 G network but the printer isn't present on the Device Manager section of the UI and it won't print anything in the print queue.

Any other suggestions? Should I try the WPS connection again?

EDIT: Attached two images, one is the network map, and the other is my WLAN report.

Attached Files

Wally173

Wally173

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have encountered some printers are somehow picky about their ip given from the router. I have had success in the past by assigning a printer a static instead of it getting one from the router via DHCP. Give that a try

If you need assistance on how to do this let me know

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,853 posts

Interesting thanks for the additional info. Please try the above, I have a feeling you'll see it in settings regardless if its not present on the device manager

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Kazamario

Kazamario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Can someone link me the instructions on how to assign a static ip for my printer? Or is that something I do on my printer?

EDIT: On the Brother MFC-J6920DW, I found it under:

• Tap wrench icon in upper-right hand corner of the touchscreen
  • Tap "Wi-Fi" icon
  • TCP/IP
  • Tap BOOT Method
    • Select Static

I'm going to do a full restart of my network devices and laptop. Will report back.

Gouldin

Gouldin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCoventry
Make sure with windows 10 that in file explorer you click on network and change the network to private.
If you don't do this, Windows won't find any devices on your network at all as windows firewall blocks any workgroup browsing as it assumes all newly connected networks are public until told otherwise.

Kazamario

Kazamario

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I performed a Network Reset on the printer, and then changed the speed in the Settings > Wireless Setup> Mode: Up to 54 Mbps, and used the Brother Utility program >> Tools > Remote Setup and set a STATIC IP. All is well.

Thanks Fraser and Wally!

Wally173

Wally173

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Glad it is working. I have never figured out why but Whenever I have someone who has a issue with printer staying connected, assigning it a static ip works 99% of the time.

Btw this isn’t specific to the xr500 or dumaos. I have seen this issue on numerous routers, just wanted to clarify that

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,853 posts

Great to hear that and thanks Wally! I'll close this topic now, if you have any more questions now feel free to open another topic.

Time Converter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users